• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Uruguay -Saturday October 5 2019 @ 2:15pm

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ends-says-uruguay-centre-20191001-p52wob.html

Bet Cheika really paid attention at this teams lasting where what the refs would focus on (inc dangerous fends) was covered....

What the heck is WR (World Rugby) doing announcing this just before play starts? That's totally unprofessional.
From the link:
Uruguay centre Andres Vilaseca has revealed all Test nations were warned that referees would be cracking down on dangerous carries just days before the World Cup.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I wish Petaia had flown under the radar a bit more. So much expectation is being heaped on his shoulders.

Hard to fly under the radar when you've played next to no Super Rugby this year, not even made an International debut but end up taking up a RWC squad spot. I mean Uelese had at least had played in an international game. He's (Petaia) just all raw potential atm.. understandably people want to see what he offers. I really hope he does go well. He was fantastic in the Red's/Highlanders game earlier in the year, so I see what people see in him, it's just unfortunate his first run out at this level is at a RWC and I do worry about his ongoing run of injuries, I really hope he's truly ready as I'd rather shelve him as a future Wallaby if not because I think he's got a bright future ahead of him.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
There’s really no better place to start him than against Uruguay though. He’ll more than likely run in a couple of tries and look good doing it. He was ridiculously composed as an 18 year old making his debut for the Reds and defending for 6 or 7 games at 13 and averaging less than one miss tackle per match so I’m sure he can handle a minnow at the WC.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
There’s really no better place to start him than against Uruguay though. He’ll more than likely run in a couple of tries and look good doing it. He was ridiculously composed as an 18 year old making his debut for the Reds and defending for 6 or 7 games at 13 and averaging less than one miss tackle per match so I’m sure he can handle a minnow at the WC.

I'm sure Fiji thought they could handle a minnow at the world cup too. But I hear you - if he doesn't start this game, surely there must be some serious questions about taking him.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Hard to fly under the radar when you've played next to no Super Rugby this year, not even made an International debut but end up taking up a RWC squad spot. I mean Uelese had at least had played in an international game. He's (Petaia) just all raw potential atm.. understandably people want to see what he offers. I really hope he does go well. He was fantastic in the Red's/Highlanders game earlier in the year, so I see what people see in him, it's just unfortunate his first run out at this level is at a RWC and I do worry about his ongoing run of injuries, I really hope he's truly ready as I'd rather shelve him as a future Wallaby if not because I think he's got a bright future ahead of him.

100% agree. Hopefully he dominates and scores a brace, but par for me would be remaining injury free and not fucking up.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What the heck is WR (World Rugby) doing announcing this just before play starts? That's totally unprofessional.
From the link:
Uruguay centre Andres Vilaseca has revealed all Test nations were warned that referees would be cracking down on dangerous carries just days before the World Cup.

Maybe they were waiting for all 20 coaches & whoever else to be in the same room at the same time so that there could be no doubt that everyone got the same briefing?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
There are far more tech-savvy ways to achieve the same outcome, e.g. recorded message, handouts.

I tend to agree in so far as the RWC not being the time to surprise teams by going hard on certain aspects of the laws. I would have loved this to have been occurring during the TRC or other internationals so the players are on notice. Let the media know so they can manage expectations with the Rugby watching public... you're not giving players time to adjust if they have a style that may come afoul of the laws (especially those physical PI players).

I mean have a look at the WR (World Rugby) website... maybe it's just a poorly designed site, but I couldn't see anything about this being a focus. I did find this as one of their photos when I searched fends;

1176126884.jpg

https://www.world.rugby/photo/476208

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
You can’t just drop shit five minutes before the World Cup telling people to change such intuitive actions like how to carry the ball. For someone like Kerevi who’s run the ball like that his whole life it’s going to take hours and hours of training to change his carrying style if that’s what WR (World Rugby) wants. People have gone through the match and dredged up more examples of forearms contacting necks of the defenders, it’s not something that changes overnight.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I tend to agree in so far as the RWC not being the time to surprise teams by going hard on certain aspects of the laws. I would have loved this to have been occurring during the TRC or other internationals so the players are on notice. Let the media know so they can manage expectations with the Rugby watching public. you're not giving players time to adjust if they have a style that may come afoul of the laws (especially those physical PI players).

I mean have a look at the WR (World Rugby) website. maybe it's just a poorly designed site, but I couldn't see anything about this being a focus. I did find this as one of their photos when I searched fends;

1176126884.jpg

https://www.world.rugby/photo/476208

I love the accompanying comment - "Beauden Barrett accidentally puts Cheslin Kolbe's nose out of joint temporarily as he fends off the Springbok during his side's victory over South Africa." (Photo by Warren Little - World Rugby via Getty Images)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You can’t just drop shit five minutes before the World Cup telling people to change such intuitive actions like how to carry the ball. For someone like Kerevi who’s run the ball like that his whole life it’s going to take hours and hours of training to change his carrying style if that’s what WR (World Rugby) wants. People have gone through the match and dredged up more examples of forearms contacting necks of the defenders, it’s not something that changes overnight.
My physio reckons it takes a 1000 hours to change an automatic action (she says it more scientifically, though, lol).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I love the accompanying comment - "Beauden Barrett accidentally puts Cheslin Kolbe's nose out of joint temporarily as he fends off the Springbok during his side's victory over South Africa." (Photo by Warren Little - World Rugby via Getty Images)

Perfectly demonstrates the point I made elsewhere on here. Kolbe has gone high (arm around neck / shoulder) which is inherently high-risk, and Barrett attempts a fend which goes slightly wrong, a la Stockdale on Phipps last year (for which he was YCed). Barrett escaped sanction, which I think is fine, but this technique of high front-on tackling being used by many teams is a problem. And unless World Rugby develop sudden consistency in refereeing it, it will become a bigger and bigger dog's breakfast of variable outcomes.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
It really is astonishing that a country that has produced so many high quality five-eighths in its history can't provide one at this point in time.

Or maybe the talent is there but either or both of a) the development systems are weak b) the coaching, (other) selections, gameplan and (general) execution at the wallaby level are creating an environment where even an excellent 10 would struggle.

How many backrow and centre combinations have we had in the past 4years? I get that we are like a blind squirrel trying to find a nut, but it hardly makes for a stable environment for the rugby quarterback to excel.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wallabies team to play Uruguay at Oita Stadium, Oita on Saturday 5 October, 2.15pm JST

1. James Slipper (93 Tests)

2. Folau Fainga’a (11 Tests)

3. Allan Ala'alatoa (35 Tests)

4. Rob Simmons (98 Tests)

5. Adam Coleman (36 Tests)

6. Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (18 Tests)

7. Michael Hooper (c) (97 Tests)

8. Jack Dempsey (12 Tests)

9. Nic White (28 Tests)

10. Christian Lealiifano (23 Tests)

11. Jordan Petaia*

12. Matt To’omua (49 Tests)

13. Tevita Kuridrani (60 Tests)

14. Dane Haylett-Petty (35 Tests)

15. Kurtley Beale (89 Tests)

Reserves

16. Jordan Uelese (6 Tests)

17. Sekope Kepu (108 Tests)

18. Taniela Tupou (16 Tests)

19. Rory Arnold (24 Tests)

20. David Pocock (80 Tests)

21. Will Genia (107 Tests)

22. James O’Connor (50 Tests)

23. Adam Ashley-Cooper (120 Tests)

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Would have thought AAA would have been rested. What has TT done to fall so out of favour?

Reactions: dru