• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Irish perspective, when he turned up he tried to turn Munster into a 15 man game, didn't work and he adapted

He looks to be the standard good grumpy kiwi coach

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think even Clarke is officially confirmed yet is he? It would be nice to get some real gas out on those wings.

Cam Clark. He is playing for the Waratahs again in 2020. I am not sure if it has been announced yet but I know they were working through a new contract.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Nor does being born in a certain location also mean you are best for the role. I think the current RWC clearly shows you take the best coach no matter where they are from (just look at all the headcoaches - a lot of Australians & Kiwi's). If you can find a local one equally good, then that's an added bonus. Maybe someone like Cron will round out his experience in Japan and bounce back into a Aussie coaching role again in the future (though I guess you can argue if he is Kiwi or Aussie).

I look forward to seeing how he gets on. I'll wager he won't last the 3 years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The big question mark over re-signings is Tolu Latu. It was rumoured he was heading to France but nothing overly official has been raised. Given his rise to being the first choice Wallabies hooker there's a much higher potential RA will try and retain him if he's not already locked in with Stade Francais.

Other question marks are AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Hunt. I tend to think neither will be retained.

If Latu stays, the best side might look something like:

1. Robertson
2. Latu
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Simmons
5. Hanigan
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Mason/Harrison
11. Newsome
12. Moeroa
13. Foketi
14. Clark
15. Beale

16. Fitzpatrick 17. Faulkner 18. Talakai 19. Holloway/Staniforth 20. Harris 21. Short 22. Harrison/Mason 23. Nawaqanitawase

Others:

Rory O'Connor, Ryan McCauley, Pat Tafa, Carlo Tizzano, Andrew Tuala, Angus Bell, Ben Donaldson, Michael McDonald

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The Irish perspective, when he turned up he tried to turn Munster into a 15 man game, didn't work and he adapted

He looks to be the standard good grumpy kiwi coach

Thanks for sharing those. Was interesting to listen to the heated debate about his time at Munster. I had read he tried to play an expansive NZ style game which didn't work with the Munster cattle. I think us and NZers play a much more similar style so hopefully he's more at home here. They did commend his work with the forwards, help to develop some world class players, which is good to hear as I've felt up front is where the Tahs have been lacking in recent years.

I look forward to seeing how he gets on. I'll wager he won't last the 3 years.

I'm a little more optomistic on this one. I don't think they went to market when Gibson got the role and having heard him talk about it, I think even he acknowledged that he maybe wasn't quite ready. This time around it sounds like they have done their homework and if this is the best of our options I'm willing to see how he goes. I do think we may need to reset expectations whilst we rebuild... but considering 2019 was only 6 wins to 10 losses and a lot of other Super clubs will also be rebuilding post RWC, I do hope that we don't do any worst.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The big question mark over re-signings is Tolu Latu. It was rumoured he was heading to France but nothing overly official has been raised. Given his rise to being the first choice Wallabies hooker there's a much higher potential RA will try and retain him if he's not already locked in with Stade Francais.

Other question marks are AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Hunt. I tend to think neither will be retained.

1. Robertson
2. Latu
4. Simmons
5. Hanigan
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Mason/Harrison
11. Newsome
12. Moeroa
13. Foketi
14. Clark
15. Beale

16. Fitzpatrick 17. Faulkner 18. Talakai 19. Holloway/Staniforth 20. Harris 21. Short 22. Harrison/Mason 23. Nawaqanitawase

Others:

Rory O'Connor, Ryan McCauley, Pat Tafa, Carlo Tizzano, Andrew Tuala, Angus Bell, Ben Donaldson, Michael McDonald

Excellent front row, poor second row, excellent back row; questionable halves, fairly ordinary centres and outside backs.

Some really good talent coming through from the U20s, but will need a year or more to blossom. Harris, Harrison, Nawaqanitawase, Tafa, Tizzano, Bell, Donaldson, and McDonald will all make their mark on the game in due course.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

1. Robertson
2. Latu
4. Simmons
5. Hanigan
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey
9. Gordon
10. Mason/Harrison
11. Newsome
12. Moeroa
13. Foketi
14. Clark
15. Beale

Others:

I'd likewise heard that Tolu was off. I hope not, because that pack doesn't look too bad if he's still in the picture. It's not a 'bad' looking team overall. Still some Wallabies floating around (even those out of favour like Hanigan and/or Gorgon), but not that level/depth of some of our previous years.

I wouldn't mind if a AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Hunt stayed for that little extra experience in the team, but like you I suspect both will be off.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep Molman, I think he is lucky in that the bar is set fairly low.

I think it is worrying that @ Munster they basically reverted to type despite his efforts to change it.

Anyway I wish him the best (though not too much on derby day ;))

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Excellent front row, poor second row, excellent back row; questionable halves, fairly ordinary centres and outside backs.

Some really good talent coming through from the U20s, but will need a year or more to blossom. Harris, Harrison, Nawaqanitawase, Tafa, Tizzano, Bell, Donaldson, and McDonald will all make their mark on the game in due course.

I know you don't like Beale, but these 3 are pretty much the incumbents and did a pretty good job this year. I think their experience will have them looking good at the start of a new RWC cycle. Throw the upside of (the new) Alphabet in the mix and that's a really solid back three for Super level.

Also it's a bit early to judge Moeroa don't you think?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
poor second row

I think that is a little unfair. I'd say we have a fair second row. Simmons/Hanigan are decent lineout operators and both Hanigan and Staniforth have shown some good ability in the NRC... but yes, it is an area that we are maybe a little light on. As mentioned earlier Ryan McCauley needs a little more size to him - feel like his legs are bigger than the rest of him. I can't imagine the Brumbies will be quite the same in a post Arnold squad.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Locks are interesting, despite BR not rating them. Hanigan actually goes pretty well at Super level, just, at this stage anyway, doesn't make the step up to test rugby. You've got Holloway, the best running lock at the Tahs, who will put pressure on those two, and of course in Simmons & Hanigan two of the best line-out jumpers in the country. The versatility of Holloway and Hanigan between lock and the back row make them handy when the inevitable injuries arise.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I know you don't like Beale, but these 3 are pretty much the incumbents and did a pretty good job this year. I think their experience will have them looking good at the start of a new RWC cycle. Throw the upside of (the new) Alphabet in the mix and that's a really solid back three for Super level.

Also it's a bit early to judge Moeroa don't you think?

Not trying to be harsh at all, but that's how I see them lining up against the other Aus Super teams. I can see that Nawa.. could well replace one of Clark or Newsome during 2020.

Can only judge Moeroa atm on the basis he is a leaguie. I think it's fair to say that Moetoa/Foketi looks a bit underwhelming compared with O'Connor/Petaia or Simone/Kuridrani.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I'd likewise heard that Tolu was off. I hope not, because that pack doesn't look too bad if he's still in the picture. It's not a 'bad' looking team overall. Still some Wallabies floating around (even those out of favour like Hanigan and/or Gorgon), but not that level/depth of some of our previous years.

I wouldn't mind if a AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Hunt stayed for that little extra experience in the team, but like you I suspect both will be off.

Hunt is still negotiating with the Tahs

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

1. Robertson

2. Latu

4. Simmons

5. Hanigan

6. Swinton

7. Hooper

8. Dempsey

9. Gordon

10. Mason/Harrison

11. Newsome

12. Moeroa

13. Foketi

14. Clark

15. Beale

Others:

The squad still hasn't been finalised. Hore said It's about 80% done so a few depth players will be needed

The locks are pretty weak. No enforcers. Simmons is the set piece general but Hanigan and Staniforth really don't strike fear in opponents.

That side lacks enforcers outside of Dempsey and Swinton.

The flyhalves are inexperienced for such an important position but hopefully will fire once they gain confidence.

I think Latu is gone. He is a good player on his day but one brain snap away from another lengthy stint on the sidelines.