• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Uruguay -Saturday October 5 2019 @ 2:15pm

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kerevi is gone next year, so no doubt Kuridrani will be back since he's been a consistent performer in the 13 jersey for a number of years.

He just needs a passing 12 inside him.

Yes you are probably right there - let’s see TK against Georgia. Kerevi and TK not really worked so far but yes Kerevi also not renown for his passing game. In fairness in the past just when you think TK is past it he has come up with games and form to push him back in the reckoning.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
On ITV Alan Quinlan said that the first Wob try should have been disallowed because a Wob player entered from the side; a bit rich coming from an Irishman (P O'Mahoney anyone?).

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
So on one hand, we have a bloke who's made more line breaks, tackle busts and run metres than anyone, against actual professional rugby players and on the other a bloke who had a decent game against a bunch of essentially park footballers but somehow the first bloke should be dropped?

Righto.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Not really UTG. It looked to me that he sent them out there with instructions to hit hard, play hard and don't give a fucking inch. Of course, that is a game plan that never works because players invariably push too hard and incur penalties and cards, just like the Wallabies did today.

I could see it at scrum time too, where even with only 7 men in the scrum the instruction must have been to keep the ball at the No 8's feet to win penalties. Dempsey did just that on two or three occasions much to the detriment of the attack on the Uruguyan try line. I would rather attribute such woeful tactics to the coach than to the player.

The cards were all seatbelt tackles, a product of laziness more than anything else. They weren't even YC tackles themselves, they were YCs because there were two high tackles close together. Uncontrolled aggression was the Pumas against England, penalties for late tackles, shoulders to the head etc.

White kicked the ball back into a seven man scrum going nowhere, that's on him.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So on one hand, we have a bloke who's made more line breaks, tackle busts and run metres than anyone, against actual professional rugby players and on the other a bloke who had a decent game against a bunch of essentially park footballers but somehow the first bloke should be dropped? Righto.

Kerevi v Kuridrani, mmmmm? You missed how many passes these two blokes have done this RWC, FG. By my count Samu's passed the ball once all tournament resulting in a Fiji try under the posts. Conversely, Kuridrani's lovely running angles led to at least three tries in one game. These blokes play pro rugby in Europe and Septica, to tag them as "essentially park footballers" is disrespectful.

If I was a selector I wouldn't consider Kerevi at 12 for the rest of the tournament, but, he could/should be a back bench option.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Kerevi v Kuridrani, mmmmm? You missed how many passes these two blokes have done this RWC, FG. By my count Samu's passed the ball once all tournament resulting in a Fiji try under the posts. Conversely, Kuridrani's lovely running angles led to at least three tries in one game. These blokes play pro rugby in Europe and Septica, to tag them as "essentially park footballers" is disrespectful.

If I was a selector I wouldn't consider Kerevi at 12 for the rest of the tournament, but, he could/should be a back bench option.
By ESPN stats he has 9 passes. And whilst you are right, the Uruguay players are far better than park footballers, they aren’t the standard of Wales or the Fiji that we played against.

TK has done well in the opportunity given to him and, if he replaces Kerevi in the starting line up then so be it. But I find it ironic you have issue with a Kerevi’s lack of passing and yet TK continues to play like a guy who isn’t aware wingers exist but that is okay. Yes he runs better lines, but he isn’t anywhere near as damaging in contact.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
By ESPN stats he has 9 passes. And whilst you are right, the Uruguay players are far better than park footballers, they aren’t the standard of Wales or the Fiji that we played against.

TK has done well in the opportunity given to him and, if he replaces Kerevi in the starting line up then so be it. But I find it ironic you have issue with a Kerevi’s lack of passing and yet TK continues to play like a guy who isn’t aware wingers exist but that is okay. Yes he runs better lines, but he isn’t anywhere near as damaging in contact.

TK also plays 13, and Kerevi 12. So the expectation for passing is probably a lower at 13, especially if one of the wingers you are passing to is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

TK's lack of passing has never been as big of an issue, I'd say he does it often on a 2 v 2 with a winger outside him but rarely ignores an overlap. Whereas Kerevi has clearly ignored mulitple overlaps and try-scoring opportunities this tourney.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
TK also plays 13, and Kerevi 12. So the expectation for passing is probably a lower at 13, especially if one of the wingers you are passing to is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

TK's lack of passing has never been as big of an issue, I'd say he does it often on a 2 v 2 with a winger outside him but rarely ignores an overlap. Whereas Kerevi has clearly ignored mulitple overlaps and try-scoring opportunities this tourney.
TKs lack of passing has always been an issue.

Edit: not to say he isn’t a good player. Great hole runner, strong defender and finds the try line.

But your comment about Kerevi ignoring overlaps and killing try scoring opportunities underlines the irony to me in the push for TK.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I want them to start the team against Georgia that they want to play v England.

This is the problem to me -
- Genia v White
- Foley v Lealiifano v To'omua
- To'omua v Kerevi v JOC (James O'Connor)
- JOC (James O'Connor) v TK (and, by extension TK v Kerevi)
- DHP v Beale

We are 1 game out from the World Cup Quarters and we still appear unclear on our best team. Perhaps the selectors aren’t. They might be very clear - but in any case we have no cohesion as a backline.

It is all too late now - and I will say in the selectors defence they haven’t been helped by the up and down form of numerous players - but I just want them to pick and stick.

B

Bobby Sands

I want them to start the team against Georgia that they want to play v England.

This is the problem to me -
- Genia v White
- Foley v Lealiifano v To'omua
- To'omua v Kerevi v JOC (James O'Connor)
- JOC (James O'Connor) v TK (and, by extension TK v Kerevi)
- DHP v Beale

We are 1 game out from the World Cup Quarters and we still appear unclear on our best team. Perhaps the selectors aren’t. They might be very clear - but in any case we have no cohesion as a backline.

It is all too late now - and I will say in the selectors defence they haven’t been helped by the up and down form of numerous players - but I just want them to pick and stick.

Also;

Pocock V Dempsey V Lukhan

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Sure they aren't park footballers, but they are also nowhere near the same calibre as Wales or Fiji, especially in the backline.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
TKs lack of passing has always been an issue.

Edit: not to say he isn’t a good player. Great hole runner, strong defender and finds the try line.

But your comment about Kerevi ignoring overlaps and killing try scoring opportunities underlines the irony to me in the push for TK.

You're ignoring they are playing in different positions. A 12 who can't pass is more of a worry then a 13 who can't pass.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
No I’m not. You’re ignoring that it is no more excusable for TK to burn an unmarked support player than it is for Kerevi to. Something TK does regularly and has done consistently over his career. If he didn’t, we wouldn’t even be having this discusssion.

The fact that you tried to justify it in the basis that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might have been the winger on occasions is proof enough that your quite happy to grant TK dispensation for his shortcomings that you’re not willing to grant to others.