• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 Japan vs Samoa

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well in the cold light of day (well next morning) I still think that game was a cracker. Samoans I didn't think played badly, just Japan were so skilled seemingly at most things they were doing. I had actually decided before game I would just watch to halftime as it was my 4th game of day I watched, but there was no way I could leave that game!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I dream of having a Wallaby team as well drilled, disciplined, organised and accurate as Japan.
think I read JJ pulled most players out of soup rugby and took them off to a training camp that went basically all year until Pacific Nations Cup? Training from 8am to 7pm. They would be far and away the most drilled team at RWC.

8am to 7pm, ffs, Akira Ioane wouldnt last from 7am to 8am.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well in the cold light of day (well next morning) I still think that game was a cracker. Samoans I didn't think played badly, just Japan were so skilled seemingly at most things they were doing. I had actually decided before game I would just watch to halftime as it was my 4th game of day I watched, but there was no way I could leave that game!
Yeah it was the best game of the day by far.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Happy to see Japan win, was disappointed for Samoa.
There was a very Aussie flavour about the Samoan team with the likes of Fidow, Lam, Alaatoa, Taefu, Seuteni and Alo-Emile all spending a number of years playing in the Aussie system.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
NZRFU should be throwing the moon on a stick at JJ and Tony Brown for what they've done with this ragtag crew of NPC castoffs and erstwhile Sunwolf easybeats

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ TB is heading to Clan next year & I read during the week that JJ is likely to re-sign with Japan for the next WC cycle. Plenty of talk around that when Razor applies for AB job he'll be taking Brown along as his potential 2IC.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
^ TB is heading to Clan next year & I read during the week that JJ is likely to re-sign with Japan for the next WC cycle. Plenty of talk around that when Razor applies for AB job he'll be taking Brown along as his potential 2IC.

I don't think it's just razor who is keen on TB, Ian Foster I think also has eyed him off for an assistant role also. At least that's what's being reported (https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...assistant-by-all-blacks-head-coach-contenders). Some seriously good IP over there (NZ) atm. I worry for AU as we've got some really great talent coming through our U18 / U20's teams, but I'm not sure our coaching depth is where it needs to be (hence why we keep importing Kiwi coaches).

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yep, they've lit up this tournament. Well done those men.

Did I hear right that there will be no Japan teams in GRR? It would have been great to see some more of that style of play. I know we've got the Sunwolves for one more season, but it seemed like most of the Japan team were off at training camps rather than playing in Super Rugby.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think it's just razor who is keen on TB, Ian Foster I think also has eyed him off for an assistant role also. At least that's what's being reported (https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...assistant-by-all-blacks-head-coach-contenders). Some seriously good IP over there (NZ) atm. I worry for AU as we've got some really great talent coming through our U18 / U20's teams, but I'm not sure our coaching depth is where it needs to be (hence why we keep importing Kiwi coaches).

Fozzy may want TB onboard but does TB want to be onboard with Fozzy? Depends very much on who you talk to but far from certain.