• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Uruguay -Saturday October 5 2019 @ 2:15pm

B

Bobby Sands

Yeah - although in defence there, I don’t think Dempsey’s fitness issues have helped there.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him in a starting role.

Big fan of Pocock, but I feel like Dempsey provides a better balance.

Give me

Sio
Folau
AAA
Rodda
Arnold
Dempsey
Po/Hooper
Naisarini
Genia
To'omua
Marika
JOC (James O'Connor)
TK
Jordy
DHP

Latu
Slipper
TT
Lukhan
Po/Hoops
White
Kerevi
KB (Kurtley Beale)

That team can win it, so pick them.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No I’m not. You’re ignoring that it is no more excusable for TK to burn an unmarked support player than it is for Kerevi to. Something TK does regularly and has done consistently over his career. If he didn’t, we wouldn’t even be having this discusssion.

The fact that you tried to justify it in the basis that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) might have been the winger on occasions is proof enough that your quite happy to grant TK dispensation for his shortcomings that you’re not willing to grant to others.

No. I'm happy to grant a 13 the shortcoming of a lack of distribution game but not a 12.

Herbert, Mortlock, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Folau, Kuridrani - have really all had this problem to a degree. A 12 who doesn't pass has never been successful at the highest level for long periods of time.

Anyways, agree to disagree otherwise we will be going around in circles.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Nah, we persist with Kerevi. He's our of our best and probably most feared ball runner in our team. England would be laughing if we benched him. Fix up his weaknesses and trot him out.

I agree. Kerevi has shown some of a distribution game in the past, I just seems to have deteriorated. His ball-running is second to none.

B

Bobby Sands

No. I'm happy to grant a 13 the shortcoming of a lack of distribution game but not a 12.

Herbert, Mortlock, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Folau, Kuridrani - have really all had this problem to a degree. A 12 who doesn't pass has never been successful at the highest level for long periods of time.

Another reason people are so excited about the long term prospect of Jordy at 13.

Australia has not had a good ball playing, dominant running 13 basically ever.

Herbert wasn't too bad, and Jason Little decent slight of hand.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

But Kerevi hasn't really been playing at 12 in attack anyway... JOC (James O'Connor) has

regardless of what their jerseys say

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Give me

Sio
Folau
AAA
Rodda
Arnold
Dempsey
Po/Hooper
Naisarini
Genia
To'omua
Marika
JOC (James O'Connor)
TK
Jordy
DHP

Latu
Slipper
TT
Lukhan
Po/Hoops
White
Kerevi
KB (Kurtley Beale)

That team can win it, so pick them.
Latu is by far our best hooker and Hooper has been in cracking form. Think they are both certain starters.

Otherwise, i really like this team. I like KB (Kurtley Beale) and Kerevi coming from the bench and i love two actual wingers.

To'omua is shite at 10, but so are Lilo and Foley - so fuck it.

B

Bobby Sands

Latu is by far our best hooker and Hooper has been in cracking form. Think they are both certain starters.

Otherwise, i really like this team. I like KB (Kurtley Beale) and Kerevi coming from the bench and i love two actual wingers.

To'omua is shite at 10, but so are Lilo and Foley - so fuck it.

I much prefer Folau at hooker.

He runs a better maul, is bigger, and carries the ball better.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Wasn't Kerevi vice captain for Fiji and Wales game? I doubt he'll get dropped but I really hope that he fixes up his decision making to pass when the options outside are better!

B

Bobby Sands

Jordy will lock down a wing spot on the back of this game is my prediction.

Hodge, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), etc are just not top flight wingers to my eye - but lets see how he goes shall we.

Do we reckon he did?

Genuine question..

I think so.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Do we reckon he did?

Genuine question..

I think so.

I'd agree with you. We're not going to go deep in this tournament by playing DHP or Hodge out of position on the wing. Petaia can actually do something. I sat up every time he got the ball in the game, and before people say it was Uruguay, I don't think DHP stepped the first two people every time he touched the ball.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought Tupou was excellent when he came on and needs to be on the Wallaby bench for all the big games coming up, maybe even start against Georgia.

Jordan Petaia lived up to expectations but he was limping just before half time, and then sitting on the bench with his hammy in ice. Maybe a precaution or maybe the end of his tournament?

Both Dempsey and TK have put themselves in contention for a spot at least in the 23. But it is late in the day to be changing parts of the team that have until now been pretty stable.

Looking back on the Wallabies matches this year, it is hard to see where the new selection committee has had much influence. Bernard Foley is now out of favour, and that might be directly attributable to input from the other two on the committee. though Bernard's lack of form would be terribly hard to ignore even for Michael Cheika. We still run out the Pooper/Hocock, two opensides combination, and the backline still looks to be as uncertain as it was over the past 4 years. Both Johnson and O'Connor were quoted earlier on saying that the coach should get (at least) most of his selections, and I reckon that's exactly what has happened.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought Tupou was excellent when he came on and needs to be on the Wallaby bench for all the big games coming up, maybe even start against Georgia.

Jordan Petaia lived up to expectations but he was limping just before half time, and then sitting on the bench with his hammy in ice. Maybe a precaution or maybe the end of his tournament?

Both Dempsey and TK have put themselves in contention for a spot at least in the 23. But it is late in the day to be changing parts of the team that have until now been pretty stable.

Looking back on the Wallabies matches this year, it is hard to see where the new selection committee has had much influence. Bernard Foley is now out of favour, and that might be directly attributable to input from the other two on the committee. though Bernard's lack of form would be terribly hard to ignore even for Michael Cheika. We still run out the Pooper/Hocock, two opensides combination, and the backline still looks to be as uncertain as it was over the past 4 years. Both Johnson and O'Connor were quoted earlier on saying that the coach should get (at least) most of his selections, and I reckon that's exactly what has happened.

Agree apart from the Pooper, Pocock isn't playing well enough to justify the compromise

Isi, Dempsey & Hooper to start,

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Pocock on the bench, probably LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as you can budget Hooper for 80

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep, it looks to me as though Poey might just have had his day, and a wonderful day it was.

Petaia looks really good, but unless and until he gets through a whole match without injury he has to be considered too much of a risk in a must win game. So my hope is that he does get a whole game next week.