• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2020

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Off topic but thought this the best place to ask. Just curious but does anyone know any current or former Queensland premier rugby players featuring at the World Cup that play for a team other then the wallabies?

I know of Ed Fidow from the bulldogs playing for Samoa! Any other qpr fans know of names that are escaping me?

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Off topic but thought this the best place to ask. Just curious but does anyone know any current or former Queensland premier rugby players featuring at the World Cup that play for a team other then the wallabies?

I know of Ed Fidow from the bulldogs playing for Samoa! Any other qpr fans know of names that are escaping me?

I believe another two might be Alatimu with Samoa and Toolis with Scotland

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Sam Johnson former GPS lad in the centres for Scotland as well. I think there is a former Aussie schoolboy playing in the forwards for Japan as well, his name escapes me though and could be wrong.

eldiablo

Ted Fahey (11)
Sam Johnson former GPS lad in the centres for Scotland as well. I think there is a former Aussie schoolboy playing in the forwards for Japan as well, his name escapes me though and could be wrong.

James Moore. Former Easts boy. Played Brisbane City before going to Japan.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wow so great to read all these name missed on my radar.

The quality of our amateur competition is amazing. All that’s missing to make it a pro-comp is the paydays.

QPR is a great stepping stone. Think about all the talent ACT/WA/VIC and beyond will happily take off us because of the limited job offers available at the Reds.

I wonder who we will be discussing at the next World Cup that came thru the premier ranks? Next World Cup there’s expanded teams being invited so I’m sure there will be some other qpr players who qualify for the minion nations

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Absolutely SX. The finals series in particular was some absolutely top drawer rugby. Credit to all the clubs and the QRU. Long may it continue.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hearing Brett Picone is also on board at Norths for season 2020. Wonder if he will bring players from Souths with him. Will be interesting what players he can bring from Newstar

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think it'll matter!

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a very determined and well coached Brothers side in 2020. They will be seething after the loss this year and bringing Matho back is such a huge bonus for them.

Not often I'm so 'pro-Filth' but I'll be mortgaging the house to chuck some moola onto Brothers to win the whole thing.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Speaking to a few guys on the weekend and they said Elwee has been recruiting heavily for GPS, specifically looking at front rowers from other clubs, will be interesting if there are any big moves.

Does anyone have mail on where Elwee is supposedly going for his professional gig? Most of the guys I've spoken to are under the impression that he was staying.

Interesting.

I see Ruan 1 half of the smiths twins is off to Melbourne. Is JP on contract next year for our reds?

Smith Twins have always been regular fixtures in qpr when available so this post makes a bit more sense why gallopers would feel the need to recruit front rowers.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Didn't realise the 2020 site was up and running - And there's already been a bit of off season argy bargie but it is going to be interesting with the coaching merry go round and the player movement associated with that.

Gee Norths will be a interesting round table with Byron & Buzz involved.

Some clubs are probably not in a premiership window - I'd say 6 in fact - I can't see the premiers coming from outside this year's top 3 - Uni, Brothers & GPS.

Maybe even GPS have come out of the premiership window.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Big factor to consider for 2020 is the availability of super rugby player.
Super Rugby regular season finishes in May in 2020, 2 weeks earlier then this year and 2 months earlier then 2018.

QPR will feature many more super rugby players during the later half of the season then they have in recent years, it’s going to change the dynamic quite significantly I think.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Big factor to consider for 2020 is the availability of super rugby player.
Super Rugby regular season finishes in May in 2020, 2 weeks earlier then this year and 2 months earlier then 2018.

QPR will feature many more super rugby players during the later half of the season then they have in recent years, it’s going to change the dynamic quite significantly I think.

As long as we don’t have the debarcle we had this year of the mandatory 2 week rest that ended up being a month for some.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
As long as we don’t have the debarcle we had this year of the mandatory 2 week rest that ended up being a month for some.

No doubt you will have circumstances like that, players reach the end of the Super Rugby season carrying injuries and niggle and require windows of rehab to get their bodies back right again. These days they don't really have much of an off-season/pre-season to get over those niggles, so it needs to happen during timeframes like this.

If you look at the off-season the boys will get this year, its pretty bloody limited. NRC GF is Oct 26, first game of the 2019 Super Rugby season is 31 January. Thats about 12 weeks for an off-season, which will include a mandated 2 or 3 week rest post NRC, and another lost week around Christmas which they will lose, and they're working with 8 weeks to prep for 2020.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
West’s won the QPR 7s series this year, just finished today.

Anyone know what the level of the competition was? From what I’ve heard GPS were very ordinary each week.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)

Anyone know what the level of the competition was? From what I’ve heard GPS were very ordinary each week.

Would be very good to be able to find the results does anyone have a link if on is available ?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

I'd say for most teams, there's a sprinkle of Premier players, Premier Colts & Reserve Grade Players, There's Weekly Cameo's by Club-aligned Aussie 7's and in years past there has been QCup players looking to trial union turning out for the clubs... Except the GPS team does not look too strong, most notable name would be Tom Christie, but even then I do not rate him personally as a 7's talent.

GPS has always had formidable backlines in 15's, so it's a bit head scratching why they going thru the motions and entering these below average 7's squad.

SIDE NOTE:
What's the deal with NZ Mozzies. They had some good scalps this QPR7's series. Is this potentially a QPR 15's option sometime down the track? Similar to how we had a Canberra Team in QPR. Ultimately I think it's extremely unlikely but QPR does have to expand one of these days. I would like to see a Even amount of teams in our competition with designated league-wide bye rounds.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Grant Anderson will go around again as Bond Head Coach and whispers are he has a FT role there and this is also complimented by the appointment of a FT Colts coach???

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)

Also former Easts Tigers 5/8 and midfielder UJ Seuteni and Sunnybank midfielder Henry Taefu playing for Samoa

Brisbane Boys

Peter Burge (5)
Would be very good to be able to find the results does anyone have a link if on is available ?

Mate hit up the Rugby Xplorer app for details. This is my take
Wests Clearly the best team finished 2nd, 2nd, 1st
Sunnybank were up and down finshed 3rd, 5th, 2nd
Souths Were consistent but hit Wests in each semi finishing 4th, 3rd, 3rd
Brothers had 4 AUS7 in the first tourney and won it then fell away without them
UQ won the second Tourney but were probably not happy with where they finished given they had a Japan tour on also.
Bond built into the Tourney finishing 4th int he last one.
Easts struggled but tried manfully
Norths and GPS were Roadkill
Hats off to NT who battled manfully given they had to catch a plane that landed in Brisbane at about 6am on the day and then play 5 games. They also struggled for cohesion as they had more Au7's than most cycle through.

Bulldog

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's a pity that QPR7s is run at the same time as NRC but understand that there isn't really another envelope to play it.

Just as we would like to see the Aus7s guys playing NRC because our pool of talent cf NZ can't handle blokes being pigeon holed as a 15 or 7s player at an early age.

I understand why they are split between Super Rugby commitments & Aus7s but let's get as much rugby talent playing NRC as possible.

Time will sort out whether they are more suited to 15s or 7s but let the young kids just play rugby.