• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies v Georgia, Friday 11th October, 9.15pm ADST

B

Bobby Sands

From what I’ve seen he kicks rarely but does have a good boot. I seem to recall him getting a few boomers away in both NRC & Super rugby.

Has played a bit of 15 in junior levels, can kick.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Our form 10 needs "managing", our back up 10 is out of form so we go for plan "c"

Just be thankful that plan "D" Beale or plan "E" JOC (James O'Connor) haven't been dragged out

What's the record for most 10s used in a World Cup? I have a dream FP - Beale starts the QF, JOC (James O'Connor) starts the semi-final, only to get injured as he scores the winning try.

It leaves us with the logical World Cup Final option and sixth flyhalf for the tournament....... Mr Quade Cooper.

You know it makes sense.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
What's the record for most 10s used in a World Cup? I have a dream FP - Beale starts the QF, JOC (James O'Connor) starts the semi-final, only to get injured as he scores the winning try.

It leaves us with the logical World Cup Final option and sixth flyhalf for the tournament... Mr Quade Cooper.

You know it makes sense.

Instead of fishing for whitebait somewhere in rural south island En Zud, Quade is found on the Whitsundays fishing for instagram likes on Whitehaven Beach and bravely flies to his country's rescue.

There's a movie in this

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

It leaves us with the logical World Cup Final option and sixth flyhalf for the tournament... Mr Quade Cooper.

You know it makes sense.
That would be fucking unreal from an entertainment perspective.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So, we have a few trials going on IMHO

Kepu Vs TT for the bench spot
Pocock - can he find some form?
Dempsey as a 6 - I would guess Hooper coming off the bench will see Isi or Dempsey subbed with the Pooper to finish
Kerevi, can he pass? and how will he work at 13 when To'omua is pushed out to 12 for Lilo
Can JOC (James O'Connor) tackle?
Beale vs DHP for the 15 spot
For the team, can we tackle below the neck?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe Dempsey is also challenging Naisarani for the 8 spot - who has also been fairly quiet the last few matches he's played.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hooper on the bench so he can get a cap and the team can use his 100th cap that as additional motivation for the quarter (and as a diversionary tactic). Semi final we have requested to wear our alternate jersey which is the green indigenous one.

B

Bobby Sands

So, we have a few trials going on IMHO

Kepu Vs TT for the bench spot
Pocock - can he find some form?
Dempsey as a 6 - I would guess Hooper coming off the bench will see Isi or Dempsey subbed with the Pooper to finish
Kerevi, can he pass? and how will he work at 13 when To'omua is pushed out to 12 for Lilo
Can JOC (James O'Connor) tackle?
Beale vs DHP for the 15 spot
For the team, can we tackle below the neck?

Importantly it gives us the option of replacing a large or small backrower depending on the scenario, which would seem the obvious advantage of having two world class sevens.

I’ve brought this up before, but playing a conventional back row which can then change to become more mobile OR replacing the on the ball threat with fresh legs gives us more utility than just starting with to sevens.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
While I like Petaia, I still need to see a lot more of him before I'm chucking him in to start against a very good England back three in a World Cup QF.

So far this year he's looked good for a bit against the Highlanders, and he's had a nice half against Uruguay. And that's it.

He's still a way behind Reece Hodge in my book, but a great performance against Georgia could close the gap.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
While I like Petaia, I still need to see a lot more of him before I'm chucking him in to start against a very good England back three in a World Cup QF.

So far this year he's looked good for a bit against the Highlanders, and he's had a nice half against Uruguay. And that's it.

He's still a way behind Reece Hodge in my book, but a great performance against Georgia could close the gap.

Couldn't agree more Barb, let's not have the boy ruined with expectation before he get's his chance to learn the game properly at this level.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Geez.....there is a lot to like about that team.

Pocock starting with Hooper coming on later FINALLY!!!

Bench lineup looks strong on paper.

What happens the following week if this combination finally clicks and delivers the performance we have been waiting for? Do Hooper and Pocock switch starting roles again or wil we see a continuation of Pocock as our new starting captain?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What happens the following week if this combination finally clicks and delivers the performance we have been waiting for? Do Hooper and Pocock switch starting roles again or wil we see a continuation of Pocock as our new starting captain?

I'd say Hooper captains and starts again next week regardless of what happens. He's pretty close to being our best player across three games.

B

Bobby Sands

Geez...there is a lot to like about that team.

Pocock starting with Hooper coming on later FINALLY!!!

Bench lineup looks strong on paper.

We can only hope. Sometimes I never thought we would see the day.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
This could be our backline against England. Only questions are over the halves (really hope they go well, no other starting pair really have) and whether Petaia can put another good game under his belt and lock down that wing spot.

In the pack I think only the back row and reserve tight head are question marks. I hate to rain on the parade of a few other posters here but Hooper will definitely start, but that's about all that's certain. 6 could be Pocock, Dempsey or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), 8 could be Naisarani or Dempsey. If Pocock doesn't start he will be on the bench, so any of the other three could miss the 23 altogether.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Couldn't agree more Barb, let's not have the boy ruined with expectation before he get's his chance to learn the game properly at this level.

I take your point, but to quote a much quoted cliche sporting line - 'there is no tomorrow'... which is the case when it comes to the quarter-final.

If Petaia puts in another good performance against Georgia and the coaching staff think he could make a difference v England, a difference which we would surely need to beat them, then I say definitely throw him into the mix. Worst case is we lose and he waits another 4 years for a chance to play in the next world cup?

Of course all of this is totally dependent on how he plays in this upcoming game. Will wait and see.

B

Bobby Sands

I take your point, but to quote a much quoted cliche sporting line - 'there is no tomorrow'. which is the case when it comes to the quarter-final.

If Petaia puts in another good performance against Georgia and the coaching staff think he could make a difference v England, a difference which we would surely need to beat them, then I say definitely throw him into the mix. Worst case is we lose and he waits another 4 years for a chance to play in the next world cup?

Of course all of this is totally dependent on how he plays in this upcoming game. Will wait and see.

If you listen to comments from Cheik, Lilo, JOC (James O'Connor)- they all suggest he is dominating at training, and rated very highly internally. I think it’s obvious if fit he plays.

Some people on here think we like playing centres at wing, or hybrid wings or whatever, the reality is we haven’t had two rapid well rounded wingers, but we do if Jordy is fit.