• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies v Georgia, Friday 11th October, 9.15pm ADST

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
While I like Petaia, I still need to see a lot more of him before I'm chucking him in to start against a very good England back three in a World Cup QF.

So far this year he's looked good for a bit against the Highlanders, and he's had a nice half against Uruguay. And that's it.

He's still a way behind Reece Hodge in my book, but a great performance against Georgia could close the gap.

Personally I think he is better than Hodge on the wing.

He was excellent on the wing for the Reds in 2018 when he had every excuse to be ordinary. His defensive positioning is as good as anyone else in the current Wallaby squad, IMO and, while I expect that to raise some eyebrows I believe it is supported by his 2018 super rugby season.

My big question mark was whether he had recovered to a satisfactory level from injury.

So far, so good on that count so I hope he does well this Friday.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Yes good evolution team,
Shame Lilo needs to be managed, continuity would be good in the halves.
JOC (James O'Connor) has been switching with Kerevi on attack but has Kurtley been ovecalling JOC (James O'Connor) ?
I prefer KB (Kurtley Beale) from the bench and DHP at 15.
To'omua has been good from the bench but deserves to start, he might get 80 mins yet.
Kerevi has got to be told to pass the ball. He must manage his support runners to capitalise on his usual tackle busts.
Like to see them have a kicking strategy plus a ball in hand strategy but there have only been 5 years to develop these alternatives.
Tight 5 is set.
I like this backrow and the 19 and 20.

Im looking for more from JOC (James O'Connor). To'omua might give him the platform but KB (Kurtley Beale) might pinch it.
Kerevi to create for the wings and other support runners.
To'omua / White kicking game with committed chase.
Control of the ruck.
Scrum and lineout dominance.
No yellow cards
Fast start

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's pretty interesting how many of this team have been unavailable for much of the leadup/last couple of years due to injury or ineligibility.

6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13 by my count. Chuck in 22 as well

I wonder how much of the lack of cohesion/frustration for fans is because these players just haven't played very much together.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
While I like Petaia, I still need to see a lot more of him before I'm chucking him in to start against a very good England back three in a World Cup QF.

So far this year he's looked good for a bit against the Highlanders, and he's had a nice half against Uruguay. And that's it.

He's still a way behind Reece Hodge in my book, but a great performance against Georgia could close the gap.

Reece Hodge hasn't done enough to hold a wing spot. I don't think it's a huge risk when your current winger isn't setting the world alight. Different story if we were talking about swapping him for Koro.

Although, he will still have to have a blinder against Georgia to realistically be considered - which is yet to be done.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Personally I think he is better than Hodge on the wing.

He was excellent on the wing for the Reds in 2018 when he had every excuse to be ordinary. His defensive positioning is as good as anyone else in the current Wallaby squad, IMO and, while I expect that to raise some eyebrows I believe it is supported by his 2018 super rugby season.

My big question mark was whether he had recovered to a satisfactory level from injury.

So far, so good on that count so I hope he does well this Friday.

He averaged less than one missed tackle per game in 2018, ridiculous numbers for anyone playing both wing and 13 let alone an 18 year old.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

We're fucked already against England, throwing Petaia onto a wing and seeing if he makes a freak break or two and gives us a shot is worth it.

Nothing to lose, and no one will have any real video analysis done on him.

Trying him at 13 is a bit silly, but i'm keen for him on the wing.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Definitely, but his potential upside is more than Hodge's I think (no disrespect to Reece, he's as solid and honest player as you'd want to find, like Pat McCabe before him). If Jordy goes alright I think it's worth a punt on him against England. We literally have nothing to lose, because these guys are a much better side than we are.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think people worry too about young guys getting ‘scarred’ as well.

And I’m sure it happens, but I always think of guys like Timana Tahu, Justin Hodges (in SOO) and Shane Warne all had embarrassingly bad debuts and all went on to have outstanding careers (well - with the notable exception of Tahu’s time in Gold).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Kepu’s experience at THP would be pretty highly valued by the coaching staff I reckon but, based on comments the other day, TT has also been held back by a concussion.

Whether the current selection shows that Kepu remains higher in the pecking order or just that they want TT to get used to his role as a finisher - either is possible IMO.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It looks a good side but leaving AAA out, while understandable, is risky. The Georgian scrum will be more than solid.
Having said that both AAA and Hooper could use a break. 40 minutes each for Kepu and TT.
Looking forward to Petaia having more opportunity in space and to seeing how this backrow goes.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Might be the last time we see Poey with the number 7 on his back.

Fun fact, the Wallabies have won 3 times with Pocock starting at 7 since 2012

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Our form 10 needs "managing", our back up 10 is out of form so we go for plan "c"

Just be thankful that plan "D" Beale or plan "E" JOC (James O'Connor) haven't been dragged out

Couldn't agree more on Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) at 10.

If Kerevi simply runs the ball again and doesn't look to pass to his supports when in the open, then I hope To'omua has the sense and ability to pass wide to JOC (James O'Connor) and bypass Kerevi so that there is a chance the ball will get to Petaia and Koroibete on the wings. I also hope he (MT) has the sense to bypass Beale as well if Beale shows his usual inclination to run sideways and take space off the wingers. These will be my measures of whether To'omua has the makings of a starting No 10 in the QF. I know he will run straight and hard and tackle aggressively in other aspects of his game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
TT has raw strength but little technique as yet, he has been found out this season by units who outmaneuver him

I have been disappointed with Kepu's scrumming, probably for most of the year, but certainly in the RWC games he's played. And he is just not half the force he used to be in open play, so on both counts I don't see him as being superior to Tupou atm. I would rather see TT on the bench for the big games.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the Georgian scrum is over-rated or more accurately I think the aussie props scrummaging abilities under-estimated. The back-up props should easily be good enough to handle it. TT shouldn't even be in the squad if his scrummaging is going to be such a liability he can't perform against Georgia.

And I re-call he actually seemed to fix the scrum against NZ when they smashed us this year. He may be the most penalised prop in super xv but I still believe the overall standard in scrummaging in super rugby has increased.

I don't think it will be a B.Alexander or Baxter type scenario where they give away a penality every single scrum. He might give away a penalty but he's likely to win one too. We didn't have this in our starting props let alone back-up props 5 years ago.