• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2019

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Interesting the conjecture around whether England (or France) would want to lose their last pool game to drop to second in the pool face Wales and then the winner of South Africa vs Ireland/Japan as their path to the final rather than Australia and then the All Blacks in the semi-final.

I think it is a pretty fraught strategy as trying to effectively tank a week before playing a knockout game which won't be a walkover is a great way to get embarrassed in that quarter final.

You never flirt with form is my rule. Just about every side that tries to get too clever with this stuff comes a cropper. In a World Cup you just try to keep winning, end of story.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I saw some mutterings of a potential typhoon warning for the Wales vs Fiji game, any truth to this or just excitable Wallaby fans?
I don’t think that would work for us anyway. If they call it a draw we are equal with Wales on 11 points and assuming we both get a bonus point win in our last game we finish equal on 16 points, it’s my understanding that Wales would be declared the pool winner as they won our game.

Besides, I’d much rather watch the Fijians try to run them around the park all night and am looking forward to the game!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...by-world-cup-pool-stages-20191008-p52yox.html

^^ Good breakdown here. I was wrong in my initial post, it’s the Wales Uruguay game that is a washout danger. If Wales beat Fiji without a bonus point and we beat Georgia with a bonus point and the Wales Uruguay game is a washout we will top the pool. Much rather Fiji just beat them though.
tenor.gif

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'd feel dirty if the weather gods conspired to wash out Wales' rightful claim to first place in the pool, but I'd also take a pretty perverse enjoyment out of it

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'd feel dirty if the weather gods conspired to wash out Wales' rightful claim to first place in the pool, but I'd also take a pretty perverse enjoyment out of it
We might get the very, very enjoyable scenario where the washout means Wales have to play England in the QFs and Wales knock them out.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Hey, if the weather gods speak who are we to argue ;)

I'd likewise wouldn't want to top a Pool on a technicality. I just think of the scenario in reverse and know how miffed I'd be.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Group Stages Memorable XV

1 Joe Marler. bit of a dag.
2 Schalk Brits. seems like best dude
3 Tamiefuna. so fucken fat. Surely preggers with octuplets
4 Wyn Jones. alpha stud
5 Coleman (Aus). the business
6 Himeno. looks like a lab experiment
7 the dwarf Uruguayan captain
8 Ardie
9 Nagare. little bastard is a killer
10 Mounga
11 Radradrad
12 ALB
13 Vaka (Fra). top poach
14 Matsushima. hell on ice.
15 Russian captain. best mo, tough as hell, the samoan thugs came at him and came off second best

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
There is a decision to organize the Rugby World Cup in Russia in 2027," Druzhinin said. "The criteria will be announced following the Congress [of the World Rugby], which is scheduled for October 31."

"We will be preparing a bid, this is a very complicated process with all entailing consequences, and we will be ready to submit the bid in 2020 or 2021," he continued. "This issue has been already raised by me in the government, we have been granted an approval and need to coordinate this issue with the Russian Sports Ministry."

https://tass.com/sport/1082218

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
WR (World Rugby) Boss agrees the offside is an issue. Proposing Hawkeye tech for the future and moving the offside line back two meters to promote more attacking rugby.

ref: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-w...pichot-proposes-moving-offside-line-back-two/

I personally think that would be the death of rucking/mauling and we might as well watch league if that rule came in! I think this is just another Pichot brainfart! I also wonder how anyone watching on TV can see players being half a metre offside, you can't even at a game unless you are in line with the breakdown.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
So apparently if matches are moved because of the typhoon, they'll be played behind closed doors. It's a shit sandwich either way but I think cancelling them outright would be the bigger, sloppier sandwich.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
England vs France and NZ vs Italy have both been cancelled.

A bit if a shocker really. Changes who might have topped a group. Gives some teams less games to play and a bigger rest period between games, less chance of injury, more recovery time, means a bucket load of tickets, tours etc.. all stuffed up. Pretty dramatic impact.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
narrative firming as to how this RWC will be remembered.

This from the 20666 Wisden Rugby Almanac:

First the mentally-handicapped and largely unintelligible French refs inexplicably in control of every single match sent off every tier 2 player who tried to tackle anyone after getting dobbed in by the ref's only pal "Skeeny".

Then, in a wild rash of pc-woke millenial bulldozer parenting gone mad, all matches involving the rugby were cancelled after a gust of wind was detected in a Tokyo playground.