• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Week 4 matches

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Japan v Scotland may also be scrubbed or transferred:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/rugb...ation-as-super-typhoon-hagibis-escalates.html

EDIT: or postponed by 24 hours with no change of venue:

https://www.planetrugby.com/england-and-france-meeting-in-the-balance/

If they do cancel Eng v Fra & postpone Jap v Sco I can see the logic: England & France have both qualified already so the match is in some ways irrelevant. Japan v Scotland, though, still has a bearing on qualifying so every effort should be made to allow it to proceed.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It will be interesting to see if Owens gets cited, because that would essentially be WR (World Rugby) admitting that Garces and Skeen fucked up, and they’d then have to review their future involvements as they did with Gardner. As it stands at the moment WR (World Rugby) are the only people that can’t see that Ben Skeen should be banished to Outer Mongolia.
My understanding is that a red is outcome based. So, because he landed on his back, it won't meet the threshold.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
World rugby have two seperate definitions of a red card in that situation, the first is if the upper body is driven into the ground, the second is if the player is dropped from height without care for the players safety.

So there is still room for a citing if they want to go down that path

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would be a pretty sh*t way to lose a 32 year winning record of pool play. Would have to make do with simply being undefeated. smh

EDIT: Would this also impede upon the current 17 game winning run of RWC matches?

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Would be a pretty sh*t way to lose a 32 year winning record of pool play. Would have to make do with simply being undefeated. smh

EDIT: Would this also impede upon the current 17 game winning run of RWC matches?

Nah, but you'd probably get a little asterisk next to the 18 match undefeated* record

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I can't believe cancellations are the go to move for a world cup tournament.

Honestly, if you make a decision early enough, and contingencies were planned to begin with, there's no reason you couldn't ship the squads off to another city and play in front of an empty stadium if you have to.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
I was really hoping to see the French and the Poms bash the living daylights out of each other. Damn. Although does it hurt the English having a bit less game time together before the quarters? I’m torn.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
How can they say the England France game doesn't have an impact on quarter finals. Yes I understand that they will both make the quarters, but whoever won the game tops the pool which changes who they play in quarters. Also as drewprint pointed out, they would have smashed shit out of each other, there could have been injuries or suspensions, but now they have an extra week to prepare for Wales and Australia. Surely World Rugby thought about this when having the tournament in typhoon season in Japan!?!? Also, wtf am I supposed to do all weekend now haha.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Can’t they fly the teams to Hong Kong or South Korea to play the games?

I think this is a bit of a joke. Given that they don’t have a contingency plan, cancelling the games makes perfect sense due to safety, but you can’t ignore the fact that they had FOUR years to create contingency plans.

It’s not like Typhoons are a new thing at this time of the year in Japan.

Has anybody got Ben Skeens opinion yet? Can he overrule them?

B

Bobby Sands

My understanding is that a red is outcome based. So, because he landed on his back, it won't meet the threshold.

My point was that I think the Tier 2 sides are adjudicated different, and not just for dangerous play. They are always assumed to be infringing, where as the Tier 1 sides are always assumed to be do the right thing/professional especially in rucks, the setpiece, offsides etc.