• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's a bit unclear now given the Rebels signed Frank Lomani but the concept of foreign marquee players was removed a couple of seasons ago.

Are fijians excepted? I know that there was a 'system' which allowed us to have Japanese players, in addition to a Foreign Marque and a Foreign Developing at one stage.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Are fijians excepted? I know that there was a 'system' which allowed us to have Japanese players, in addition to a Foreign Marque and a Foreign Developing at one stage.

Rugby Australia rejected the Reds bid to sign Alivereti Veitokani last year, so I don’t think they are exempted.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
With no Force, there shouldn't be any Foreign Marques, be available for the Wobs or be prepared to become available for the Wobs only

I think some force fans might be upset about you saying there is no Force :) , but yes, I agree with the point of needing to develop Australia's rugby depth through the Super teams.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Malalua (?) at the Reds is another case now that he has represented his home country (Samoa?). To further muddy the waters, that's two No 9s in the four Aussie Super teams.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Malalua (?) at the Reds is another case now that he has represented his home country (Samoa?). To further muddy the waters, that's two No 9s in the four Aussie Super teams.

He had a contract before he was capped though so based on past situations, that is fine for him to remain contracted.

The Lomani one is curious and suggests a change in the rules from what has existed for the last couple of seasons.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
He had a contract before he was capped though so based on past situations, that is fine for him to remain contracted.

The Lomani one is curious and suggests a change in the rules from what has existed for the last couple of seasons.

I've always got the sense there was some weirdness around the Rebels with regards to squad rules, salary cap etc.. but who knows. Didn't Lomani train with the Rebels a season or two back? special consideration as he'd been on the books before?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
It could be that there are 15 professional spots (3 each pro team) for Halfbacks in this country and it could be successfully argued we don't have 15 HB's of a professional standard that are available.

This years U20s already have contracts and there is noone killing it at NRC outside the already contracted group soooo yep maybe RA just say "yep that's fine, we are confident you aren't 'keeping an aussie out of it' "

B

Bobby Sands

From what I’ve seen in the NRC, if he is only 104 kgs he plays comfortably above his weight. Seems to hit the line hard and carry strongly.

He bashed Queensland Country.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
You blokes missed out Kemeny, he signed with the Rebs!

I do a bit of work with Cranbrook and it just popped up on the old boys thread.

Bit of a loss that I reckon.
Yes, he's a goodun but I suppose that we have some experienced 6s (Dempsey, Swinton & Hanigan) but thought he would be a very good 8 option in the future. Like the Reds we have a plethora of back row options so might have been offered more at the Rebels. Good luck to him, I see a big future

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is he though? Player heights/weights are often wrong. He looks much bigger than 104kgs to me and every bit a number 8 from what I’ve seen.

Super rugby quality or not remains to be seen, but certainly filling the role at NRC level from what I’ve seen.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is he though? Player heights/weights are often wrong. He looks much bigger than 104kgs to me and every bit a number 8 from what I’ve seen.

Super rugby quality or not remains to be seen, but certainly filling the role at NRC level from what I’ve seen.

We have Hanigan, Dempsey, Holloway and both Patrick Tafa & Will Harris coming through who all can play 8

We can't sign them all

B

Bobby Sands

Yeah hes not, he will be a Dempsey sized player or bigger. Very rarely are U20's backrowers already fully mature.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
We have Hanigan, Dempsey, Holloway and both Patrick Tafa & Will Harris coming through who all can play 8

We can't sign them all
Fair point. I wasn’t trying to be critical of the Tahs recruitment in my posts - merely just making the observation that Kemeny looks a good prospect and that I was dubious about the height/weight stats that were posted on him (admittedly only on my observations from TV and having never seen the guy in real life).