• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He only played 12 because there was a bloke called Jason Hardie from Dirranbandi who went ok at 7 (Qld schools) and the team didn’t have a 12. There was a really good article about it in The Australian recently.

Churchie had both QLD teams starting 7 that year.

Was Pocock playing 7 before that season? In year 10 and 11?

B

Bobby Sands

Was Pocock playing 7 before that season? In year 10 and 11?

Arrived in year 9 and played in the backs I think.

He actually played wing/fullback in year 10.

Injured as a flanker year 11.

12 in year 12.

Not sure if he ever played much in the forwards from memory, but it was known that it was his best position. Harry Elliot, another bloke was Aus Barbarians #8, so there was no shortage of players.

B

Bobby Sands

When we lined up against Churchie that year, we always figured Pocock was moved there to cover Quades defensive frailties.

Maybe partly, but we just didn’t have a decent 12.

We tried a few country blokes and it just never worked out.

Great article in the Australian about it all, I’ll dig it up.

B

Bobby Sands

Nice story behind that article. I have to admit though, it read like Wayne Smith had just done 10 rounds with Tyson and written the thing. Clunked along, maybe my processing has just slowed down on a Friday arvo.

It read to me like he had just bumped into Tom Barker in Japan and had a few tins, a few rough notes on a napkin and sent it off to the editor without too much delay. :D

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Reds get behind fracking and the climate emergency ;)

https://reds.rugby/news/2019/10/10/santos-signs-long-term-partnership-with-queensland-rugby-union

191011-web-liam-wright-santos.jpg

Reactions: TSR

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
QRU have announced Santos as the back of jersey sponsor for the next 4 years, and West Point Auto as the shorts sponsor for next 2 years.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Finances are looking up for the QRU, just need the State Govt to commit funding for the Ballymore upgrade

The QRU also announced a long-term sponsorship deal with Australian natural gas company Santos for the back of their jersey, making it one of the most valuable in Australian rugby in a great turnaround for the previously besieged organisation.
The deal, along with the proposed redevelopment of the decaying Ballymore facilities - which won a funding commitment ahead of the Federal election - is a giant step towards helping the Reds turn around their finances.
The company will also sponsor the Rookies to Reds program, Super W team and Super 6 Schools competitions in a great vote of confidence in the sport in Queensland.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/10/11/reds-lucas-contract