• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2019

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well, at least Australia can spread the games around in the event of natural disasters.

One city could be facing a cyclone whilst another could be in the face of drought and wild bushfires...

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Seeing some of the reporting in Japan on the Typhoon. It seems to me that the rugby authorities have actually been very restrained in their reaction so far.

All the best Japan.

One man has already died :( fear will not be the last.

Well, at least Australia can spread the games around in the event of natural disasters.

One city could be facing a cyclone whilst another could be in the face of drought and wild bushfires.

There's a happy thought. Australia being hit by a cyclone, drought and bushfire all at once... but yes, we do have a lot of geographical advantages.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Dan, people might rant about the poor timing as it has turned out, but your post is really just another rave about how all the administrators get it right all of the time and that they should not be held accountable for anything that goes wrong. It seems to be a theme in many of your posts.

To compare a typhoon occurring in the typhoon season with a totally unpredictable earthquake is really disingenuous. Perhaps you might try to take a more balanced viewpoint of various administrators and their decisions than to always refuse to see things that might have gone wrong.
Just curious if you want to revise this condescending hyperbole in light of the *deaths and widespread destruction* caused by Hagibis?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
So Japan/Scotland game is due to be played in a little over 8hrs. USA/Tonga, Wales/Uruguay announced as going ahead. Namibia/Canada cancelled.

I'm thinking this Japan/Scotland game might be canned.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
^ WR (World Rugby) just confirmed it'll go ahead.

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/update/510973

Well there you go. I really thought it was looking very unlikely. I wonder how much the context of this match influenced things here. Scotland better show up for this one after making all the noise. Being wet weather I think they are a chance.

As an aside I was reading that NZ were happy to play Italy in their match a day early (the Friday when conditions were ok). Why on earth wouldn't have WR (World Rugby) gone ahead with that accommodation. I think they got themselves in a bind with their concrete rules of one size fits all situations.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well there you go. I really thought it was looking very unlikely. I wonder how much the context of this match influenced things here. Scotland better show up for this one after making all the noise. Being wet weather I think they are a chance.

As an aside I was reading that NZ were happy to play Italy in their match a day early (the Friday when conditions were ok). Why on earth wouldn't have WR (World Rugby) gone ahead with that accommodation. I think they got themselves in a bind with their concrete rules of one size fits all situations.

I imagine if they moved one game to another day, they would then have to agree to move ALL games, and that may of had big consequences if the Typhoon hung around, how long could you postpone the Japan/Whinging Scots game without it being too short between pool and QF games etc? Case of damned if you do, damned if you don't almost.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I imagine if they moved one game to another day, they would then have to agree to move ALL games, and that may of had big consequences if the Typhoon hung around, how long could you postpone the Japan/Whinging Scots game without it being too short between pool and QF games etc? Case of damned if you do, damned if you don't almost.

I can see how being able to point to a concrete rule gives the appearance of equaty for all, just seems unfortunate that there was a viable solution and from what I read NZ basically ran an internal game on the Friday anyway.

Gutted to hear that 7 deaths so far, certainly makes games of rugby seem a lot less important.

Heres hoping it stops there and our thoughts to those families :( Did you see in amougst it all a magnitude 5.3 earthquake struck off the coast southeast of Tokyo!? People posting of twitter about the Typhoon shaking their Hotels, but likely it was the earthquake. Mother nature does not like Japan atm :(

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can see how being able to point to a concrete rule gives the appearance of equaty for all, just seems unfortunate that there was a viable solution and from what I read NZ basically ran an internal game on the Friday anyway.

Heres hoping it stops there and our thoughts to those families :( Did you see in amougst it all a magnitude 5.3 earthquake struck off the coast southeast of Tokyo!? People posting of twitter about the Typhoon shaking their Hotels, but likely it was the earthquake. Mother nature does not like Japan atm :(

Those islands, rather like Indonesia, are situated in a pretty geologically hectic spot (ring of fire, basically), so yeah it's not ideal from an earthquake, volcana, tsunami point of view.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
:(

I would be surprised if France and England didn't do same actually molman, they will want there boys to have a bit of contact I imagine.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder, just how much climate change might be pushing back the number and ferocity of typhoons to later in the year?

It depends on which definition you choose. Global cooling, global warming, anthropogenic global warming, climate change, catastrophic climate change, or extreme weather (all terms I have been bombarded with in my many years of watching rugby).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

And ultimately the rules of the RWC explicitly state that a game can not be rescheduled for another day.........

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The first point is definitely an issue with Japan being pretty small geographically. A natural disaster can cover a fair amount of the country, particularly when a lot of the venues are clustered together pretty close to Tokyo.

On the second, when should it have been held? Every RWC since professionalism has been held at roughly the same time (give or take a month).

This is already one of the later finishes so it's hard to see how they could have pushed it back much further.
During one of the commentary bits, Stuart Barnes mentioned that the NH clubs basically vetoed any notion of the RWC starting any later.