• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 Japan vs Scotland

Tex

John Thornett (49)
FWIW I thought the big Scots openside had a very strong match. I counted three or four ruck turnovers, plus he held up as many Japanese ball carriers in the tackle. A very good young prospect, if a little hot-headed at times.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
FWIW I thought the big Scots openside had a very strong match. I counted three or four ruck turnovers, plus he held up as many Japanese ball carriers in the tackle. A very good young prospect, if a little hot-headed at times.

agree i thought he was far and away the best Scot and almost MOTM.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
IS there a what-if calculator on the site?
i.e. IF japan beat RSA and Wobs lose - could Japan leapfrog Aus?

If they can go past RSA - which i doubt as it has been a massive tournament for them, I would definitely back them against Wales.
South Africa should stuff them, simply too fast and strong. But agree about them being better than Wales.

Their outside backs take that anti-rugby nonsense dished up by the wet weather boys and shove it up their backside. Box kick to Matsushima? I think not.

Their outside backs shit on ours from a great height.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Just got to watch this. How effing fun was this game!!! Just when red cards look like they might ruin everything along comes a game like this to remind you just how good international rugby can be. Nothing like having 60k+ screaming fans behind you to fire a team up for the last 20 minutes.

The Scots should have backed themselves for the entire match.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

If they can go past RSA - which i doubt as it has been a massive tournament for them, I would definitely back them against Wales.

Wales would have to go past France for that to happen which is about 50/50 at this stage.

A France vs Japan semi would be an absolute shootout.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Not on the site but there's one here:

http://www.lassen.co.nz/pagmisc.php#hrh

To answer your question:

Aus currently have 83.52 rating points, Japan have 82.08

If Japan beat SA they go to 84.81 (win by 1-15) or 86.18 (win by 15+)

If Aus lose to Eng they go to 82.44 (lose by 1-15) or 81.90 (lose by 15+)

So yes, if Japan win & Aus lose then Japan overtake Aus.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
I reckon the crowd made for the full experience. It was deafening on the screen; can't imagine the pulse of being in the ground. Imagine being a neutral and scoring a random ticket to that match?!

I can't think of too many other matches I've seen with such passion and volume from the stands. RWC final in 03?

*cough* I hear the 95' final was rather epic from the crowd noise perspective though I may have put all memories of that particular fixture out of my mind.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
We had a huge explosion in interest during our World Cup. How is the game doing here now? Is there any reason to believe that things will be different in Japan?

I have a friend in Japan on holiday at the moment. He reports that getting any merchandise for the Japanese team is virtually impossible unless you want to queue for multiples of hours and even then it's difficult to get anything.

Apparently similar with NZ gear as well and lots of stock for everyone else.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
I was very amused that on the NZ commentary feed the expert comments person gave up all pretense of appearing neutral with about 30 minutes to go and was fully behind the Brave Blossoms.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
nah, only 11 penalties for a whole game ! thats not rugby. where were the endless scrum resets, the pedantry, the pointless interjections from the TMO, the cards !!! where were the cards !!! i remember a time when you couldn't go 5 minutes without a stoppage for a "chek, chek", ah those were the days. BOK - a f'n disgrace he even allowed turnovers at the breakdown and as for Marius Jonker he needs to be sent to the Ben Skeen school for recalcitrant TMO's. World Rugby surely has to do something about this, I bet they don't get another gig this world cup.

I was particularly impressed when TMO came in and O'keeffe while telling TMO it was a good interjection that he considered thing ok! see he remebered he controls game not TMO and we should all remember that. Whoever is ref should just say to Skeen or whoever, yep I got it, now shush!!