• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 1/4 Final Japan vs South Africa

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sunday 20 October
19:15 JAPAN Time

Japan v South Africa
South Africa Team Matchday GIF
eastb1_zps66b10d16.gif
Japan Team Matchday GIF:
lasers_zps5e0aea7b.gif

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I suspect the SA set-piece will be too much for Japan. However if Japan can get parity in the scrums and sort out their line-out issues, I think around the park they are more then capable of scoring tries.

A close game goal-kicking may be a big factor too - where SA have an advantage.

Can't wait for this game though - going to be a cracker.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Japanese set piece was awful against us in the warmup game and they have now lost their best TH scrummager. They need to fix their lineout, seems the timing is often off.

South Africa will target the breakdown, slow the ball down and hit on the counter.

Boks will kick for territory and use the rush defense to try and force errors.

There is the game plan. Simples. But it has never been a surprise with the Boks now has it?

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Big Bokke bodies might be the difference. The Japanese were at their most vulnerable going into contact last night, which isn't to detract from the firepower and pace out wide, but they were turned over too often at the ruck and tackle. A good SH team would punish that quick smart.

Boks by 12.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Scotland were very poor in that first half and Japan lost attacking momentum in the 2nd.

Think the Boks will have too much and also Japan shouldn't suprise them like they did to Ireland.

Have to use the set piece against Japan, their weakness is still the Line Out and Scrum.

Boks by 20.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Don't also forget Boks had one hard game 3 weeks ago.
Japan has had absolute belters against Ireland/Scotland and played to the 82-3rdth minute against Samoa for the bonus point.

As much as it pains me to say, I think they will be absolutely spent and Boks to win in a canter. God i hope i'm wrong though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Don't also forget Boks had one hard game 3 weeks ago.
Japan has had absolute belters against Ireland/Scotland and played to the 82-3rdth minute against Samoa for the bonus point.

As much as it pains me to say, I think they will be absolutely spent and Boks to win in a canter. God i hope i'm wrong though.

Maybe they will be battle hardened and the Boks won't know what hit them... at least I hope so.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hopefully the Boks are not so foolish as to take this game lightly, despite the 41-7 victory a few weeks ago. Japan won't be playing that badly again.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Good to see Eben hit back
S24
Eben Etzebeth insists in court documents that he did not have a firearm in his possession and was not involved in assaulting anyone during the alleged Langebaan incident.

On Monday, it was reported that Etzebeth had turned to the High Court in a bid to prevent an alleged racist assault case from going to the Equality Court.
Etzebeth and a group of friends and family had been accused of being involved in an incident of assault and racial abuse during a night out in Langebaan in the Western Cape on the eve of the Boks’ World Cup squad announcement, which has led to a widespread backlash.
ALSO READ: ‘Etzebeth innocent until proven guilty’
In court papers filed on Monday as revealed by Netwerk24, and in which Etzebeth accuses the South African Human Rights commission of ‘unlawful conduct’, he sought to provide his account of events.
The Bok lock admits there was a confrontation of sorts early on in the night when a ‘white man rudely demanded’ that he remove his cap at the Langebaan Yacht Club as per the club’s dress code.
He adds that no racial remarks were made and the incident was resolved peacefully.
Around midnight, says Etzebeth, his group and he then moved to Die Water Gat pub in Langebaan, and wanted to leave the establishment at around 2am.
Etzebeth states that they initially waited to avoid what looked like an incident outside the pub, but after leaving five minutes later, he says his girlfriend and him were nearly run over by a red Honda.
The Springbok says he knocked on the car’s window to alert him to their presence, and alleges that they were then cursed at before the driver moved away.
However, a group of men then allegedly approached Etzebeth’s contingent, and he states that his intention was then to try to get away before things ‘got out of hand’.
While driving away, though, Etzebeth further states that someone threw a bottle at his car, and when he got out to inspect if there was any damage, a group of people allegedly continued to curse at them.
Etzebeth says that they walked over to confront the group, but that chaos then ensued with people running everywhere, while adding that he feared for the safety of his brother.
The Springbok second rower finishes by saying that further rocks were thrown at them when they returned to their car, but that no one was injured and that they then drove home immediately.
Etzebeth insists that he ‘never assaulted anyone’ and ‘did not have a firearm or any weapon with him’.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Japanese set piece was awful against us in the warmup game and they have now lost their best TH scrummager. They need to fix their lineout, seems the timing is often off.

South Africa will target the breakdown, slow the ball down and hit on the counter.

Boks will kick for territory and use the rush defense to try and force errors.

There is the game plan. Simples. But it has never been a surprise with the Boks now has it?
The 'kick for territory and rely on the rush defence' did the square root of fuck all for Oirland or Scroteland. If I were the coach (and I ought to be cause I'm smort) id be keeping that fucking ball as far away from the Japan back three as possible and attacking with ball in hand.

Having said that I hope the Saffas bring that one dimensional game and Japan do what they do.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
The 'kick for territory and rely on the rush defence' did the square root of fuck all for Oirland or Scroteland. If I were the coach (and I ought to be cause I'm smort) id be keeping that fucking ball as far away from the Japan back three as possible and attacking with ball in hand.

Having said that I hope the Saffas bring that one dimensional game and Japan do what they do.
Well, trying to smash through them did not work in 2015. Carrying the ball that much will lead to inevitable spills and turnovers which will only suit Japan. Kicking aimlessly will also suit them.

It will have to be a balanced approach with kicking limited to remarkably accurate and contestable balls and basically try and pin them in their half and force them into endless line outs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well, trying to smash through them did not work in 2015. Carrying the ball that much will lead to inevitable spills and turnovers which will only suit Japan. Kicking aimlessly will also suit them.

It will have to be a balanced approach with kicking limited to remarkably accurate and contestable balls and basically try and pin them in their half and force them into endless line outs.

Hahaha!

Play rugby, boys. No conundrums, play rugby, do it the way you do best.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Japanese would probably have a better matchup against NZ. SA just have too many big bodies.
Size wise the All Blacks are on par with the Boks. Our back line may actually be smaller overall.

I don't think Japan could out New Zealand, New Zealand.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Another one I really looking forward to, and to be honest not absolutely nailed on who I want to win. I have huge respect for SA rugby, and how they play the game, and make secret that AB/Bok tests get my juices going the most, BUT by geez the Japanese story is all that is good in sport, and our game so I guess I'll just enjoy the game!!
Do think the Boks will be too powerful though!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Neither Ireland not Scotland kicked well not did they put enough pressure on defense. They fell into the trap of standing off from the breakdown, allowing quick possession. Japan's back three have been very average at fielding the high ball. They have been good when you kick deep and allow them to run back in space.

I think South Africa will play a very different style to Ireland and Scotland. To just say its the same because they kick a lot is only half the story. It's where you kick. We will kick short and put lots of pressure.