• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The South African was garbage, but gosh he was big!. Picked on size to fit your big forward mentality and couldn't make Manly team. Name the players we missed out on or who were available.

So in the entire country of Australia or uncapped New Zealand players, no big enforcing locks or forwards could be found??

If I name players you will say they are rubbish or how do you know the Tahs didn't go for them.

The facts are that Gibson wanted a light and mobile pack.
Other teams seem to find big enforcers
Gibson's game plan failed

And the new coach agrees and is looking.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Been the real journyman.. seems like he's had a go everywhere except the Reds?

I am starting to like the new head coach. He seems to see the problems and is starting to buy accordingly. A few journeymen to help bring the kids through.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I am starting to like the new head coach. He seems to see the problems and is starting to buy accordingly. A few journeymen to help bring the kids through.

Not sure I'd get too carried away. With Kepu and Latu (most likely) leaving, I would say the 'problems' and required hires would be pretty obvious to any coach. Also its not like the incoming are a step up for the outgoing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Link talked about getting balance right, as long as any journeymen has the right work ethic and positiveness it drives the professional culture of getting the shit done

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Link talked about getting balance right, as long as any journeymen has the right work ethic and positiveness it drives the professional culture of getting the shit done

Well I didn't expect the link to be critical of the signing.

Tahs roster is looking like that of a team who didn't have a coach for the bulk of the off-season, thats the sad truth. New coach wont get to design the squad he wants until 2021, Gibson really stitched them up.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
New coach wont get to design the squad he wants until 2021

I tend to agree. Always takes time for some change to occur and starting November is going to have an impact on what is possible on some fronts. Too many existing contracts and pieces in place to entirely impose your will.

On the positive, I don't mind the situation in so far as it might allow some players a little space and opportunity to stand up and be noticed. Look at our 10 situation. With Foley there we just didn't give the space to develop any future depth. With him gone it is wide open for players to have a crack. Is it Mason.. is it Harrison.. Whilst it's always nice to import known quality players, I mean I'm sure the Tahs could have gone after someone like Deegan, I'm personally more excited at see how the existing and developing players evolve.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well I didn't expect the link to be critical of the signing.

Tahs roster is looking like that of a team who didn't have a coach for the bulk of the off-season, thats the sad truth. New coach wont get to design the squad he wants until 2021, Gibson really stitched them up.

I'd throw Hore into that mix of criticism too.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
McDonald and Tizzano join NSW Waratahs

16 October 2019

The NSW Waratahs have added to their impressive stable of young talent, signing Carlo Tizzano and Michael McDonald for the 2020 Vodafone Super Rugby season.

The signing of the Perth duo takes the NSW Waratahs count to 13 Junior Wallabies from the squad that made their way to the Final of the U20 Championships in Argentina this year.

McDonald – originally from Carlingford, Ireland – emigrated to Australia with his family in 2013, where he has been a member of the Rugby WA’s Academy.

The 19-year-old scrumhalf represented Western Australian in the U19 Rugby Championship in 2018, as well as appearances for Perth Spirit and now Sydney in the National Rugby Championship (NRC) – he joins the NSW Waratahs on a three-year deal.

Another Rugby WA Academy product and Australian U20, Tizzano joins the NSW Waratahs on a two-year deal.

An energetic loose forward, Tizzano picked up the Fortescue Premier Grade’s P.G. Hampshire Award as the competition’s best and fairest player.

Representing the Australian Schoolboys in both 2017 and 2018, Tizzano will join a NSW forward pack featuring Australian U20 teammates Pat Tafa, Will Harris and Angus Bell.

NSW Waratahs Head Coach, Rob Penney said the addition of Tizzano and McDonald would further strengthen his squads next generation of players.

“We’ve [coaching staff] been busy looking into what is a wealth of talented, young players on the books here at the [NSW] Waratahs,” Penney said.

“NSW has a proud history of player development and the current crop of Junior Wallabies are testimony to that, adding Michael and Carlo represents an astute piece of recruitment from Tim Rapp [GM of Rugby].

“We’re always wanting to look within our own system when bringing players though, but being able to provide external players an opportunity to be involved with the [NSW] Waratahs is also important.

“Michael and Carlo are excellent young players looking for an opportunity in Super Rugby, they were part of what was a very successful Australian U20 squad this year and I’m excited about their potential amongst a young group of players.”

McDonald who has been playing under Chris Whitaker for Sydney in the 2019 NRC said the prospect of playing Super Rugby was an exciting one.

“It’s one of the premier rugby competitions in the world, to be involved in the squad here at the [NSW] Waratahs ahead of next season has been enjoyable so far,” McDonald said.

“Playing in the NRC [for Sydney] has been a great experience, working with a guy like Whits [Chris Whitaker] day-in-day-out has already been really beneficial.
“I’m grateful for the opportunity to come across and play for the [NSW] Waratahs and get started for next season.”

Tizzano was looking forward to beginning life in a Super Rugby set up.

“It’s exciting to be coming across to the [NSW] Waratahs,” Tizzano said.

“I know a lot of the guys from the [Australian] U20s and Schoolboy squads, playing and training alongside them is something that appealed to me.

“There’s a strong group of coaches and a lot of experienced players that I’ll have the opportunity to learn from and compete with over the next two seasons – I’m really looking forward to it.”

Tizzano will see out the remainder of the NRC with the Western Force before linking up with the NSW Waratahs for 2020 pre-season in late-November.

-ENDS-

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The whole Hore thing was a bit disappointing, wasn't it. I listened to him speak a couple of years ago, and had a long chat with him afterwards and was quite impressed, certainly didn't strike me as the sort of bloke who would abandon ship in such a turbulent time without notice like that. Makes me wonder what other issues were going on behind the scenes, perhaps, as someone suggested, something to do with the appointment of the new coach.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The whole Hore thing was a bit disappointing, wasn't it. I listened to him speak a couple of years ago, and had a long chat with him afterwards and was quite impressed, certainly didn't strike me as the sort of bloke who would abandon ship in such a turbulent time without notice like that. Makes me wonder what other issues were going on behind the scenes, perhaps, as someone suggested, something to do with the appointment of the new coach.

The whole sacking of he who must not be named I think added massive stressors to the organisation as well

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I thought Hore was doing a pretty good job particularly with reintegrating the Waratahs with NSWRU and taking a more local approach to rugby in the state.

The timing wasn't great but likewise it could have been worse. At least he finished the job of appointing a new head coach. Clearly it would have been better to have six months notice that he was departing.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
But wasn't there a blow up over the appointment of the new coach and that's one of the reasons for a quick exit?

Not sure is 'blow up' is the right word, but yes there was some speculation that this was an element in Hore leaving. I think we discussed it a little some pages back.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure is 'blow up' is the right word, but yes there was some speculation that this was an element in Hore leaving. I think we discussed it a little some pages back.
The way I heard it, he didn't want to pay Penney the money that he wanted. He was over ruled by the board so thought he'd lost support. Call it untenable or a blow up but it isn't a good sign for a CEO moving forward

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The way I heard it, he didn't want to pay Penney the money that he wanted. He was over ruled by the board so thought he'd lost support. Call it untenable or a blow up but it isn't a good sign for a CEO moving forward

The chairman should not have been as surprised as he made out in the media.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought Hore was doing a pretty good job particularly with reintegrating the Waratahs with NSWRU and taking a more local approach to rugby in the state.

The timing wasn't great but likewise it could have been worse. At least he finished the job of appointing a new head coach. Clearly it would have been better to have six months notice that he was departing.
Braveheart you have often praised Hore and your praise might be warranted but on tahs performance, nsw nrc sides performance and the the fact Tahs as part of biggest rugby state struggles to be seen as the destination of choice for professional rugby players to develop (cf with say the Brumbies) means I struggle to see how Hore been good for NSWRU.