• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 1/4 Final England vs Australia

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Has a work week ever felt so long?
giphy.gif

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I have concerns about Beale being continually rag dolled on kick return against effective organised defenses as he gets held up, mauled and turned over or he just runs sideways

DHP has the habit of getting through that first tackle and providing clean ball
Beale used to be ace at finding an inch of space on the counter but he hasn't done that in ages. Even as the Super Sub against a fading Wales.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
according to Tom Decent in Nine papers

Wallabies team to face England:

1. Scott Sio
  2. Tolu Latu
  3. Allan Ala'alatoa
  4. Izack Rodda
  5. Rory Arnold
  6. David Pocock
  7. Michael Hooper (captain)
  8. Isi Naisarani
  9. Will Genia
  10. Christian Lealiifano
  11. Marika Koroibete
  12. Samu Kerevi
  13. Jordan Petaia
  14. Reece Hodge
  15. Kurtley Beale
Bench (likely): Jordan Uelese, James Slipper, Taniela Tupou, Adam Coleman, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Nic White, Matt To'omua, James O’Connor

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure what to think of the Petaia selection. Our 10/12/13 has some real potential to impress on attack, but i really worry it's not going to hold up defensively. It's probably a good indication that the team intends to keep the ball in hand as much as possible. It's probably the right call if that's the game plan because the only way that game plan is going to work is if we score a few amazing tries, so Petaia probably increases our chances of doing that.

Personally I don't think that's the right game plan. I would be playing territory, choosing a defensively solid back-line and trying to tire out England's forward pack over 80 minutes. I think we have the more dynamic pack and might be able come over the top of them in the last 20 minutes if we're only a score or 2 behind. Unfortunately i expect much the same as the wales game; aimlessly running from deep in our own half, backs getting isolated, passes getting intercepted, poor ball security, ineffective clean outs, etc. Expect us to by at least 2 tries behind at half time.

It's a shit hot pack of forwards and the bench looks really strong too. But I've lost all confidence in the coaching set up. I expect Eddy Jones will run rings around Cheika.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm fine with the risk on Jordy, if that is the case.

More worried about the big target on Beale at fullback, seems like an easy high ball target. And I hope his 50/50 offloads come off because he's made the occasional break but lost the ball into contact on most occasions. DHP much safer and ball-running well lately as he seems to beat the first man more often then not.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If Pataia is at 13, it must be for his defence because playing outside Kerevi he not going to get much ball to attack with!

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd be surprised if Beale is passed fit. He may have lower lows than DHP but he also has higher highs. Those highs though are coming few and far between as he is nowhere near the player he was.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
JOC (James O'Connor)'s defence hasn't been too crash hot, so maybe Petaia ill actually be better in this department.

I guess he has more experience at 13 than JOC (James O'Connor)... which isn't saying much (i guess it's his favoured position too, unlike JOC (James O'Connor)).

Petaia vs Tuilagi is a mouthwatering match-up in this game. I just hope the pup is going to show the old dog some new tricks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) has played a lot more professional rugby games at 13 than Petaia. JOC (James O'Connor) played plenty of the last UK season at 13.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I guess he has more experience at 13 than JOC (James O'Connor). which isn't saying much (i guess it's his favoured position too, unlike JOC (James O'Connor)).

Petaia vs Tuilagi is a mouthwatering match-up in this game. I just hope the pup is going to show the old dog some new tricks.

I think his only experience at a decent level is half a game of Super rugby isn't it?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The selection of Petaia at 13 is the most radical I can think of since the infamous day that Reg Smith, a fairly good second rower was selected at prop against the Springboks. He had never played one game at prop at senior level.

It reminds me of an article I read in "Harvard Business Review" a while ago which posited that committees tended to make more extreme decisions than individuals.

It would be fascinating to watch a video of the final selection meeting.

Reactions: Tex

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
If the team listed by Tom Decent is correct then my thoughts are;

• I prefer White to start. Genia started vs Wales and that was poor. Genia has looked good as a finisher.
  • I think Dempsey over LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to finish. Need his speed. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) misses out.
  • DHP to start at 15. Beale misses out
  • Reserve backs; Tricky. Normally I like Beale but there needs to be insurance at 13. CLL not an 80 min player so need a 10. Always need a half. It is KB (Kurtley Beale) vs JOC (James O'Connor) for mine.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
In my opinion on current form Hooper would still walk into the 7 jersey in both teams, followed by the two England lads and poor old Poey coming in last.
Hooper work rate is great but English lads hit harder and more influential at breakdown especially clean out.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If the team listed by Tom Decent is correct then my thoughts are;

• I prefer White to start. Genia started vs Wales and that was poor. Genia has looked good as a finisher.
  • I think Dempsey over LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to finish. Need his speed. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) misses out.
  • DHP to start at 15. Beale misses out
  • Reserve backs; Tricky. Normally I like Beale but there needs to be insurance at 13. CLL not an 80 min player so need a 10. Always need a half. It is KB (Kurtley Beale) vs JOC (James O'Connor) for mine.

Not a fan Beale starting, but you certainly need him on the bench. His only good performance this year (All Blacks - Perth) he carved it up in the last 20minutes.

If we are struggling then we need to take a risk and chuck on some-one who can open up a game - Beale can do this in the last 20mins.

In fact I think he's a liability in the first 60mins of game, but really shines against tiring defences.

JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench is really cover only, I don't see a lot of impact from him on the bench. Maybe it would be wise to have 3 backs on the bench for this game.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Yeah I'd only want KB (Kurtley Beale) coming on in the second half once it opens up. Drew Mitchell was saying KB (Kurtley Beale) was asymptomatic and achieving all the right benchmarks under the concussion protocol so I think we can assume he's available.

What are the thoughts on the poms' soft pool matches and fortnight training vs us beating ourselves against the Georgian wall for 80 minutes?

Depends on the state of soreness and niggles the players will be carrying, but I tend to to think the forwards will be better for having played.