• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 1/4 Final Japan vs South Africa

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think it needs to be remembered as well that the Irish and Scottish fixtures against Japan were very different. The Scots threw everything they had at Japan and were simply outplayed. In the Irish game, Japan certainly played well but Ireland were pretty poor. Quick taps and kicking for the corner when points were on offer was arrogant play that ended up being punished. South Africa will be treating this as any other tier 1 fixture so Japan will need to be on their A game.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure if I want the Boks to put in a commanding performance and win comfortably or whether I want them to struggle somewhat so they get used to KO pressure.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The first half will be very important. Springbokke will be rusted and Japan in great form and high on emotion. We'll need to smash them hard and quick. You dont want them in with a chance in the last 20 mins.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure if I want the Boks to put in a commanding performance and win comfortably or whether I want them to struggle somewhat so they get used to KO pressure.

Think for the Japanese fans etc , the Boks having to struggle would be great too, if you can't win it after what they have given in the last few weeks seeing their team go out with a valiant fighting loss would help I think!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Didn't watch the Japan/Scotland game live, but watched the replay with great anticipation after all the positive posts on the game. Have to say, I thought it was a fairly disappointing game and wasn't really impressed with either side a great deal.

I can't see Japan being competitive with SA at all.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Bokkies are going to flog them into the dust and go on to win the Cup. Hopefully the wonderful Matsushima and Fukuoka have a couple more flying tries to give us, but the SA power game is going to be irresistible.

Reactions: dru

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Japanese looked gassed towards the end of Scroteland match
yeah 27 pt 1st half and 0 pt 2nd half. That handy Scots flanker saw they werent committing to rucks and helped himself.

They'll need to keep halfback Nagare on as long as they can too cos Tanaka is now a huuuuge step down these days, just telegraphed and pedestrian rubbish.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yeah 27 pt 1st half and 0 pt 2nd half.

It was 21-7 at half time and then Japan scored just after half time to make it 28-7. They were certainly just holding on for parts of the match afterwards but at that point they were pretty close to home.

From 28-7, for Japan to miss the quarter finals Scotland would have had to score at least 3 tries and 29 points total whilst keeping Japan scoreless.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Neither Ireland not Scotland kicked well not did they put enough pressure on defense. They fell into the trap of standing off from the breakdown, allowing quick possession. Japan's back three have been very average at fielding the high ball. They have been good when you kick deep and allow them to run back in space.

I think South Africa will play a very different style to Ireland and Scotland. To just say its the same because they kick a lot is only half the story. It's where you kick. We will kick short and put lots of pressure.

I wonder if Japan has done anything at training other than protecting ruck ball - will definitely be a big target for RSA forwards, the ol' late counterruck

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
EHDro5xXYAAmSoO.jpg:large

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bok 23:

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Franco Mostert, 21 Francois Louw, 22 Herschel Jantjies, 23 Frans Steyn

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Didn't watch the Japan/Scotland game live, but watched the replay with great anticipation after all the positive posts on the game. Have to say, I thought it was a fairly disappointing game and wasn't really impressed with either side a great deal.

I can't see Japan being competitive with SA at all.

BR your sarcasm engine needs rebooting