• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 1/4 Final England vs Australia

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Stu Barnes has been a stud. First time someone on FS has told it like it really is in 20 years.

Agree really like him at commentator. Provides a non-bias perspective too.

Really wish they would get rid of Kearnes and Martin already.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think that this game has shown once and for all that the Pooper is not a winner in test matches. Hooper won a couple of turnovers on the back of excellent tackling by others, but otherwise he might have just as well have been here at home watching the game. He is not a No 7, nor a No 6 nor a No 8. Playing him at 7 has forced the Wallabies to play one of the world's best No 7s out of position. For all the Hooper fans, I ask, is he really as good as Pocock as a traditional No 7? And if not, what sort of game does he actually play? He is more like an extra back than a forward and his presence at No 7 over the past 4 years has completely unbalanced every forward pack that he has been part of.

So when Pocock pilfers the ball it's his prodigious talent and skill but when Hooper does the same it's off the back of other's good tackling?

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
actually, thinking back the writing was on the wall before the game evens started.

a man (and even worse a former silk trader) who cannot tie his own tie is the ultimate reflection of poor preparation and poor performance.

i mean ffs, rugby men grew up in private schools!

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Lets see what Rennie has in store for us in the future i guess. Cheika just never got us to the level we expected. Tonight showed that, well and truly outcoached.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Can I also add with a clean out of the Coaching can we sack the entire Fox Sports commentary team, excepting Barnes. Meathead "Dewy" Horan, "Bad Referee Decision" Kearns and ultra cliché man "He thought he saw a hole" Clarke are sickening. The 12th man could impersonate them in every game and nobody would know because it is the same every game. He would probably have a better understanding of the Laws than any of these numptys.

The only insight and understanding comes from Mitchell and Hoiles. It's amazing how poor Kearns's understanding of modern rugby really is.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Mate, you had a go at me for misinterpreting your post, called me a precious twat and told me to fuck off.

I'm sorry I didn't understand your original post, I don't care If you don't use grammar, but you must know if you don't it makes it harder to understand and open to misinterpretation?
Hi Adam

Let’s leave it - regardless of what posted saying things like FFS got my blood boiling after few wines and yes I still should not have texted that way. Peace pipe offered so let’s move on

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To be frank, I'm not sure the Pooper is what lost it for us. A lot of other areas you could look at first before those two players being on the field.

I didn't say the Pooper lost the game. Like every time they've played together since the last RWC they have not won the game for us. We would in all probability have won a few more if they hadn't been put on the field together.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hi Adam

Let’s leave it - regardless of what posted saying things like FFS got my blood boiling after few wines and yes I still should not have texted that way. Peace pipe offered so let’s move on

I apologies, I shouldn't have used FFS, I reacted poorly to how I interpreted the way you replied to me.

I think we're both disappointed our team lost, and neither had any intent to offend each other but perhaps that was lost in translation.

Have a good night.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lets see what Rennie has in store for us in the future i guess. Cheika just never got us to the level we expected. Tonight showed that, well and truly outcoached.

Be interesting to see if Rennie gets a free hand with regard to assistants. But that's probably musing for the Wallabies 2020 thread. When it exists!

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I didn't say the Pooper lost the game. Like every time they've played together since the last RWC they have not won the game for us. We would in all probability have won a few more if they hadn't been put on the field together.

Maybe Pocock has warranted starting over Hooper in the past but Hooper has vastly outperformed him this tournament. You're right we probably would have won a few more if we started with the same backrow as the team that beat the All Blacks earlier this year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Such a disappointment, 40-16 is a real flogging.
Beale - time for the texta, had plenty of chances and many more rocks than diamonds over his tenure. Maddocks or Banks deserve opportunity.
Hodge - not a starter
Petatia - yes for the future
Kerevi - will be missed
Koroibete - yes please
Christian & Genia - thank you (White should've started)
Pocock - thank you very much
Nisarani - undecided
Arnold - yes
Rodda - ok BUT Coleman should've started
Hooper - absoutely but need a Kearns type captain who'll take it to the refs - might be even better without the captaincy.
Latu - yes
Aalaalatoa - yes
Sio - ok but Slipper should've started
Tupou- yes
Uelese - yes?
To'omua - yes but where and when?
O'Connor - yes - can he and Petatia do 12/13?
Salakai-Loto - yes thanks - need more like him.

Beale did well tonight besides the stupid chip kick - couldn't see DHP, Banks, or Maddocks doing any better in the same situations. (and I'm not Beale fan - give me DHP or Banks any day).

Coleman shouldn't have started - he hasn't been playing well besides one good hit here and there. Rodda is in good form and also did okay tonight, and MOTM last game.

Sio > Slipper - Slipper a worse scrummager and Sio more phsyical into contact, Slipper more mobile. Sio doesn't get much credit but does everything asked of him.

JOC (James O'Connor) - only one good game this year. I think he crabs a bit too much and offers nothing besides a decent pass. Happy to be proven wrong though as he hasn't had a lot of game time.

Salakai-Loto - Why? He has been average or worse then average every game this year.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Many of the peeps here are fans of Kerevi but he had no place in that backline with those tactics. He stifled the attack and it was obvious that England have had his measure since he made his debut against them in the series in Oz in 2016. He is a one trick flat track pony. Maybe he should have been a backrower?
We need a 10 and 12 who can feed Petaia and the likes of Koroibete. Not sure who’s coming through but there will be options. Even with Kerevi there CLL had to shoulder much of the front on defence and the taking of the ball to the line. To'omua would have been a better starter at 12.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
This result was simply a logical progression from the atrocious coaching at the helm of the Wallabies since 2015. Most certainly, the worst in living memory (and that extends back to the 60s) for the Wallabies. What surprises me is that there are still a few posters who contend that Cheika isn't primarily, or at all, at fault. He has been a boil on the arse of Australian Rugby since the day he took charge of the Wallabies, and it is years too late to have him lanced.

Yes. It’s really only RA that, as the ultimate supervising institution, could rightly be considered more culpable.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's what I thought. Who knows with these french refs

I was so annoyed they called him there as it looked all by himsleve stop 5 white shirts.. Got the ball carrier and made the turn over. I know his been doing it all year. But i thought it a thing of beauty..