• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

things you have quit

things you have quit

• grog

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • drugs

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • smokes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • buying <insert vice here>

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • running

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • playing rugby

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • hoping for a better future for the children of my mistress(es)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • collecting <insert stupid overpriced doodacky here>

• voting in these stupid f***en poles

• i will quit hookers and blow when one and/or both of them kill me

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I've got rickety knees so this is very appealing. I gave up running when I was 19 after bits of cartilage began working themselves loose and have been cycling since, but now that's starting to aggravate the joints.

Pilates is fantastic for the core and I'm doing things in that studio that 18yo me could only have dreamed of, but it doesn't get the heart pumping.

The intermittent fasting experiment is a good one. I played with the 5-2 but found the fast days drove me to distraction and any gains would be obliterated the next day. I've since taken on a similar approach to cyclopath, at least during the week, where dinner is followed by lunch at midday.

Re. booze, it's so intrinsically tied to my social networks that going cold turkey is frankly frightening. But I'm trying to avoid Friday drinks and limit the number of silly blowouts throughout the year.

Every so often I keep a food diary to just check macros & calories, for me intermittent fasting led to blow outs in calories later in the day, so a couple of eggs and a small pork. lamb or beef steak for breakfast keeps me satiated and not looking for food. I plan to have 225gms of good complete protein a day (that equates to 500gms of beef) and I notice my workouts suffer if I don't at least keep that up or exceed it

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I've got rickety knees so this is very appealing. I gave up running when I was 19 after bits of cartilage began working themselves loose and have been cycling since, but now that's starting to aggravate the joints.

Pilates is fantastic for the core and I'm doing things in that studio that 18yo me could only have dreamed of, but it doesn't get the heart pumping.

The intermittent fasting experiment is a good one. I played with the 5-2 but found the fast days drove me to distraction and any gains would be obliterated the next day. I've since taken on a similar approach to cyclopath, at least during the week, where dinner is followed by lunch at midday.

Re. booze, it's so intrinsically tied to my social networks that going cold turkey is frankly frightening. But I'm trying to avoid Friday drinks and limit the number of silly blowouts throughout the year.

Basically this. I am not an absolutist about it - probably once a week I'll submit to the clarion call of the Bacon and Egg roll from my favourite cafe up the road (they have damn good GF bread and buns!). But mostly it's 16:8 fast and it really is not that hard to do. Funny when you realise how many calories you don't need!
My problem is 52 year old tendons - they get stirred up with golf, to a small degree with running (although my new compression socks are the business) and they are bastards to get right again.
Plus I need to do some more strength work, as I have gotten a bit weak with all the running (despite being fitter than I was when I was 20). I want to do pilates but the local places seem full of people who look like they're ready to murder someone when they walk out.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Basically this. I am not an absolutist about it - probably once a week I'll submit to the clarion call of the Bacon and Egg roll from my favourite cafe up the road (they have damn good GF bread and buns!). But mostly it's 16:8 fast and it really is not that hard to do. Funny when you realise how many calories you don't need!
My problem is 52 year old tendons - they get stirred up with golf, to a small degree with running (although my new compression socks are the business) and they are bastards to get right again.
Plus I need to do some more strength work, as I have gotten a bit weak with all the running (despite being fitter than I was when I was 20). I want to do pilates but the local places seem full of people who look like they're ready to murder someone when they walk out.

This guy got me back into strength training, somehow a cynical grumpy old smart arse product expert got me interested and his technical stuff is clear and concise

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Surprisingly little. Rugby's probably gonna have to go soon because I've realised that I've become injury averse (in direct proportion to my income, oddly enough).

I generally go by the whole 'quality over quantity' thing when it comes to food and booze, and it generally works. My partially scientific take on this is that everything has its time and place. I did hit a snag when I moved in with the other half a while back, but I rediscovered some fortitude and the word 'nope'. My general philosoohy is that everything has its time and place.

That's not to take anything from those of you who have done the hard yards and have the discipline to give up animal products, VB, or methamphetamine - all are difficult, worthwhile and laudable.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Discovered by accident last year that skipping lunch is a great idea. Didnt have time for lunch one day and fully expected to be a lethargic POS by about 2pm yet the opposite happened. All afternoon felt alert. So surprised. Didnt even need my afternoon lie down

I skip lunch about 3 or 4 times a week now and always feel great in the arvo when I do.

This is probably the most normal, positive post I have ever made on this message board.

I feel the Moderators should give me some sort of little "Welcome to the Forum" gold star.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Discovered by accident last year that skipping lunch is a great idea. Didnt have time for lunch one day and fully expected to be a lethargic POS by about 2pm yet the opposite happened. All afternoon felt alert. So surprised. Didnt even need my afternoon lie down

I skip lunch about 3 or 4 times a week now and always feel great in the arvo when I do.

This is probably the most normal, positive post I have ever made on this message board.

I feel the Moderators should give me some sort of little "Welcome to the Forum" gold star.

We'll find something to give you. I wanted it to be "antibiotics" but I can't always get what I want.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I turned up at a local studio in 2013 with a bung shoulder and neck from a stupid bike accident at age 18, followed by an ill-advised return to rugby at 24, and I've been there since. I am not overstating it when I say that clinical pilates has saved my body from early decrepitude and likely surgery. The mat and reformer stuff is a bit naff sometimes, but find a high quality (read: older ex dancer or physio) teacher and go to small group classes and you'll be amazed.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
You guys have depressed me a little about my future; I like gluten, I like beers, I like all this shit.

Though I was inspired to try intermittent fasting, till I realised that I'm sitting here counting down the seconds till lunch and that's already after having a mammoth breakfast. Don't think IF would flow with me.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
You guys have depressed me a little about my future; I like gluten, I like beers, I like all this shit.

Though I was inspired to try intermittent fasting, till I realised that I'm sitting here counting down the seconds till lunch and that's already after having a mammoth breakfast. Don't think IF would flow with me.

I tried it, and I was fucking miserable. It did not work for me one bit.

In my case, I better regulated what I ate, cut back on the dirty bird (and other take a was), and changed my Gym program to GVT. Feeling much better ,and getting the result I want.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I turned up at a local studio in 2013 with a bung shoulder and neck from a stupid bike accident at age 18, followed by an ill-advised return to rugby at 24, and I've been there since. I am not overstating it when I say that clinical pilates has saved my body from early decrepitude and likely surgery. The mat and reformer stuff is a bit naff sometimes, but find a high quality (read: older ex dancer or physio) teacher and go to small group classes and you'll be amazed.

I don't think I'm understating the effect pilates has had on my life. I was 135kg and was seeing a chiropractor three time a fortnight just to get by. To get out of bed each morning I had to slowly move to the edge and slide my knees to the ground to get upright. I hate to know what condition I'd be in now without it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I don't know your age, but being over 50 my doc gave me some salient advice.

He said he had two sorts of patients, those who sort out their lifestyle & get their shit together and those who shrug & ask for the pills

I chose option "A". That doesn't mean shit won't happen (I got diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis just before easter) but I expect to get clearance in 10 days and be prescription free again and be able to train again instead of just exercising.

I want at least a 140kg squat and a 170kg deadlift again in the next 6 months

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)

It's not all bad. The take home message from this thread is that everyone's got different stuff happening, and different ways of sorting that stuff out. If beer is your thing, enjoy it, but don't make it your master. Is gluten a bad thing if you don't have celiac disease? That's probably best left to the (actual - ie not me) experts. If you're worried about weight, fasting might not be your thing, but maybe cutting back the size and changing the content of your meals is a starting point- more of the green stuff and less of the grain fed stuff. Aim for real progress, make it achieveable, and stick to it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's not all bad. The take home message from this thread is that everyone's got different stuff happening, and different ways of sorting that stuff out. If beer is your thing, enjoy it, but don't make it your master. Is gluten a bad thing if you don't have celiac disease? That's probably best left to the (actual) experts. If you're worried about weight, fasting might not be your thing, but maybe cutting back the size and changing the content of your meals is a starting point- more of the green stuff and less of the grain fed stuff. Aim for real progress, make it achieveable, and stick to it.
Really no evidence that it is. That said, HAVING to go GF is way easier these days - the options / labelling etc are fantastic for nearly everything.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

The mammoth breakfast leading to the "feeling hungry at lunch" is mainly your body's response to the calorie load, and it drives more calorie loading. It changes. Yes, at the outset, it is an adjustment, but I was very surprised how quickly it became pretty easy. But it aint for everyone.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I want at least a 140kg squat and a 170kg deadlift again in the next 6 months

I'd say that's definitely achievable. There's a bloke at my gym who is 50+ who had a couple of months off with some serious health issues late last year and got back to squatting 3 wheels for reps within a few months. His deadlift is getting toward 220 now as well. Good luck.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The mammoth breakfast leading to the "feeling hungry at lunch" is mainly your body's response to the calorie load, and it drives more calorie loading. It changes. Yes, at the outset, it is an adjustment, but I was very surprised how quickly it became pretty easy. But it aint for everyone.

Yeah, I think you're right. My partner is french and I'm amazed by how her family skips breakfast and starts the day with a smoke and a bowl of coffee.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Agreed. I have a light breakfast of just eggs - good till midday easy. Have a massive bowl of porridge/bananaa, almonds - i'm hungry by 9.
I too now live by the skipping/tin of salmon for lunch philosophy: don't have the afternoon slump (less afternoon coffee), don't have to worry about packing lunch, or blowing $15 on crap takeaway, doesn't waste time. Easy.

Only problem is getting home and binging on crap pre-dinner

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, I think you're right. My partner is french and I'm amazed by how her family skips breakfast and starts the day with a smoke and a bowl of coffee.

French are an alien species. Normal physiology does not apply!!