• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC SF: Canberra Vikings v Fijian Drua, Sunday 20 October, 3pm AEDT

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Couple of changes for the Vikings.

1. Bo ABRA
2. Lachlan LONERGAN
3. Angus WAGNER
4. Nick FROST
5. Blake ENEVER (c)
6. Pete SAMU
7. Will MILLER
8. Rob VALETINI
9. Ryan LONERGAN
10. Noah LOLESIO
11. Tom WRIGHT
12. Irae SIMONE
13. Len IKITAU
14. Toni PULU
15. Tom BANKS

REPLACEMENTS
16. Alex SMALL
17. Fred KAIHEA
18. Tom ROSS
19. Will SANKEY
20. Angus ALLEN
21. Joe POWELL
22. Bayley KUENZLE
23. Mack HANSEN

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
Pigs a little bit under powered (should hold up) but a seriously potent backline. This will make for great open game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Conal McInerney injured again? Scrum doesn't look as strong without him at hooker.

Just need to get a good share of the ball and play with patience, accuracy and intent. Keep mistakes to a minimum to deny the counter attack. Try to throw the ball around like the Drua will be just looking for trouble. Jonny Dyer needs to be shut down too, both in attack and in defence at ruck time. Should be a good open game.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
It's a good thing the Drua's lineout is such a dog's breakfast, because without McInerney and Swain, the Vikings' will be too.

I suspect some will be surprised to see Kuenzle benched, but I think it's clear Lolesio has been better. Hansen is unlucky to be benched, but will cause Fiji all kinds of problems coming on late.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am one who is surprised at Keunzle being benched. It is only a matter of opinion, but in mine Bayley has been better in the No 10 spot than Noah. I have been especially impressed with the way the combination of Keunzle and Simone at 10 and 12 is developing.

Hanson being benched is also a disappointment, especially for him I'd guess, but it is really an indication of how strong the Vikings' backline is at the moment. I can't fault Tom Wright starting on the form he's shown during the competition.

Ted McMahon

Stan Wickham (3)
A flip of the coin between Noah and Bayley starting but I do think game strategy Bayley will have the more impact in the second half if he comes on at the 40-50 min mark. Bayley would be my pick in the coming years at the starting 10 with better skills. He just needs the game time to develop the consistency. Mack being benched is a surprise. Need to get him on at the 30 min mark. No Swain or McInerney will hurt.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Drua looking the goods to go through to the NRC final. 22 - 0 at half time; three tries to the Drua and they are playing with their usual flair, running hard and offloading at will. Not many Vikings looking like they are in the game.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Irae Simone subbed. Not before time.

Looks warm

Drua cynically making breaks in play (unofficial drinks breaks/breathers every 6-7 minutes)

Fijian scrum well on top though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What a fucking climax to the game. Trailing by 6 and score a try after the full time bell 16m in from touch. Lolesio steps up to take the kick and nails it for a 1 point win. Off the Perth next week.

I'd give Simone my MOTM. Lolesio had a belter of a second half. Re4ally missed Valetini in the forwards, but Angus Allen had an outstanding game. Fantastic.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Vikings very fortunate with that result

Fijian scrum destroyed them. Then again the Drua had to continually slow the game to stay in

Vikings halves were good. Simone's spilling of the ball didn't impress me. Banks added more.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The scrum was good until Abra was replaced by Kahea. Fred is a bit of a monster in the open but his scrummaging is woeful. That was the reason the Vikings struggled in the first four rounds of the NRC this year. I think Nick Scrivener made the swap far too early in this game. Mid way through the second half the Vikings had all the momentum and were almost scoring at will. Change the LHP and suddenly the game swings back to the Drua.

Joe Powell really added an extra element to the game when he came on. Ryan L is there for his goal kicking, but with Lolesio nailing that last pressure kick, maybe that isn't the issue the Vikings need to be concerned with.

I have to say too, that while I've been a Keunzle fan at No 10, Lolesio had a standout second half. Looks like we might be well served whoever gets the nod against the Force.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Several scrum penalties and getting shoved back at times in the first half - but, yes it was really the last 30 minutes when the Viking scrum was pantsed.

Should be a close match in the final, with a bit of luck

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Part of me is happy the Drua lost the way they did. Top 2 teams making the final, should be a cracker.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, that was poor form by the Drua with the stoppages......... the ref should've found his balls and penalised them for it.