• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Good call on Matt Philip. I'm a massive fan of his and would have had him in the squad this year.

I wonder if someone like Bryce Hegarty might get a year in the 10 jersey the same way that the likes of Nathan Spooner and Tim Wallace were used in the past - as a capable holding player until the next player is ready.

Toni Pulu is a good wing option, Darcy Swain and Harry Hockings will be there and there abouts around lock talk. Alex Mafi a strong contender at hooker, as will Damien Fitzpatrick and perhaps Anaru Rangi.

Tate McDermott should play tests next year. Perhaps we'll see more of HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes). Lachie Swinton a shot and does Jed Holloway ever step up?
JOC (James O'Connor) could potentially fill that role too. I'm not advocating him as a long term 10, but if it's out of Bryce or JOC (James O'Connor) I'll pick JOC (James O'Connor). He has good vision, a good boot and runs straight.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
But it's already happening Derpus. The Schoolboys are now expanded to include any U18s whether at school or not. The U19s Super tournament is now underway leading to a pathway to the U20s Worlds the next year. And every Super team now has an Academy bringing potential players through to that level. There have been some notable changes over the past year or two, and I believe the results are already becoming obvious.

Yep, credit to the ARU, they've started making some of the changes a few have been calling for and the pathways are starting to look better and the results starting to match it.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought Foley was heading to Japan.

I like LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as a lock, not so much as a 6.

My ideal back 5 would be:
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valentini
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani

With:
19. Phillip
20. Dempsey or Samu

Be interesting to see if Skelton would come back in 2021.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure that I qualify as a zealot, but I do have a long memory. Randwick teams absolutely never kicked by choice, back in the good old, bad old, days. The fifties and the sixties.
Into the 70s and early 80s. My first coach was an ex Wix player/coach and we were forbidden to kick. It definitely was a thing

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
Tate McDermott is by far and away the best young 9 in the country. He will play for Australia within the next two years. No 10 is where we are really struggling, I really don’t know who it is. Some really promising players at 10 in the under ages however they need time. Anyone overseas? James O’Connor is not our answer in the centres, he is a shadow of what he was. I’m really excited about what Is coming thru in our under age teams I just think we have a vacuum for a couple of years, while they get used to senior rugby. Having said that we need a massive change in our coaching team of the wallabies, the whole lot have to go, no exceptions. Maybe an overseas coach for a couple of years then pass onto one of our promising local coaches. I haven’t given up hope however yesterday gives us a once in lifetime chance to clean out the crap both on a coaching and admin level from the top down.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
It's misguided and clear the day after being knocked out that "building" towards a 4 year event is not the way to go. I suspect that some of the "older" players could still deserve test spots for 2/3 years with a fresh coach and new perspectives. Foley and Beale especially have had the same coaches since 2013 (other than KB (Kurtley Beale) in UK). 10 is a dire position and other than To'omua you want someone new to grab it by the balls.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
One difference is that all 3, for the most part, pass from the deck. First sign of sideways skipping should result in severe hypnosis rectification.
View attachment 11142

I know this get trotted out a bit that the Halfs dont pass from the deck and seems as you get a bit older you aint there as quickly so dont have as much time. But Gregan did a master class and he said the 2 steps enter his game when the ruck becomes a shit fight and you adjust to get a good pass out, and as scrum halfs are more known teams know how to mess with them more, so its a choice take a couple of steps and hit a target (slower) or throw it like phipps does fast off the deck and hope you hit.

Im pretty sure Genia just didnt decided one day not to pass of the deck stuff effected his game and he worked around it. Just not throwing from the ground isn't the answer its the balancing act.. White seems to be at his peak that his quick enough there to throw a good pass but he also doesnt just rush it. Arron Smith and Ben Young's are great at this, they also know when its a better time to just pick and be a sneaky little prick up the middle.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Whats peoples thoughts on McCaffery coming into the side, his someone that offers something so different at 6 or 8, personally think his ridiculously skillful.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just quickly having a look at the test capped players still around and it's a decent list, albeit short on locks and flyhalves:

Props - Sio, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Robertson, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Hookers - Fainga'a, Uelese, BPA
Locks - Rodda, Simmons, Philip
Backrow - Hooper, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Dempsey, Naisarani, Samu, Valetini, Jones, Wright, Hanigan

Scrumhalves - White, Powell, Gordon
Flyhalves - Foley (60+ caps), To'omua
Centres - JOC (James O'Connor), Kuridrani, Petaia
Wings/Fullbacks - Koroibete, Beale, Hodge, DHP, Banks, Speight, Maddocks

I do believe LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) needs to shift back to lock as we're adequately covered in the backrow, while being short on experienced locks.

Same applies to Jones imo. On the subject of locks, Enever is also still around and has I think 2 test caps. Maybe fortuitous, but I would rather have him than Rob Simmons any day of the week.

If you include Foley under the Giteau rule, you'd also have to include Genia. Personally, I wouldn't include either of them. I hope we've seen the back of both.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My ideal back 5 would be:
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valentini
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani

With:
19. Phillip
20. Dempsey or Samu

Be interesting to see if Skelton would come back in 2021.

Valetini should be a shoe-in for 6 next year and Pete Samu is the best of the rest for the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's misguided and clear the day after being knocked out that "building" towards a 4 year event is not the way to go. I suspect that some of the "older" players could still deserve test spots for 2/3 years with a fresh coach and new perspectives. Foley and Beale especially have had the same coaches since 2013 (other than KB (Kurtley Beale) in UK). 10 is a dire position and other than To'omua you want someone new to grab it by the balls.

I want never to see either Foley or Beale near the Gold ever again.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I wondered about Enever. But he's been struggling to get time in Super rugby hasn't he? At least Simmons is a starter.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Valetini should be a shoe-in for 6 next year and Pete Samu is the best of the rest for the bench.

I'm not sure why you'd think he'll be a shoe in when all the players who were selected ahead of him except Pocock are all still available. He will definitely get more caps next year but whether that's because he's a shoe in is the part I doubt.