• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 1/4 Final New Zealand vs Ireland

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
That one hundred year tradition of haka performance looks very funny when you look at footage of the amateur era in particular.
Just 15 players, some who hadn't practiced it, no throat slitting gestures, just standing in a line across the field.
Now we have a complete 23 squad on the battle arena, choreographed to the 9th degree, full tongues, several well rehearsed versions, and in a flying wedge formation. Plus the fines imposed by WR (World Rugby) for any opposition team breaching protocols.
That's not a challenge to the opposition, that's a challenge to the world of rugby players.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
That one hundred year tradition of haka performance looks very funny when you look at footage of the amateur era in particular.
Just 15 players, some who hadn't practiced it, no throat slitting gestures, just standing in a line across the field.
Now we have a complete 23 squad on the battle arena, choreographed to the 9th degree, full tongues, several well rehearsed versions, and in a flying wedge formation.
That's not a challenge to the opposition, that's a challenge to the world of rugby players.

Well put. As with so much of the way NZ do business they push the envelope continuously to gather advantage. This is just another example. First time I have actually seen a NZ official mis speak. It’s only rationale has been as a “challenge “. If not that it is pisstake of gargantuan proportion.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
It seems the critically ruptured Phil Kearns dam of tears has overflown into this thread. Will chief engineer D.Pillock please report for duty to immediately mediate the damage. Some sort of emergency floodbank around this thread and the ENG/NZL semifinal may be in order.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well put. As with so much of the way NZ do business they push the envelope continuously to gather advantage. This is just another example. First time I have actually seen a NZ official mis speak. It’s only rationale has been as a “challenge “. If not that it is pisstake of gargantuan proportion.

I'm not sure. The Haka has been a tradition for a long time, albeit elevated to its current status only for about 25 yrs or so. So the performing of the Haka is not at all the issue. I think creating rules and guidelines around it was the problem.
If it is a challenge, teams should choose how they wish to meet / answer it. I think most would stand and accept it.
If it is a personal thing for the ABs, why dictate what anyone does around it?
World Rugby made it precious. Not New Zealand.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
It seems the critically ruptured Phil Kearns dam of tears has overflown into this thread. Will chief engineer D.Pillock please report for duty to immediately mediate the damage.
kearnstears_zps2klsxfyf.jpg
Some sort of emergency floodbank around this thread and the ENG/NZL semifinal may be in order.

tumblr_osj7ecJMXP1wrg2kuo1_400.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'll bet World Rugby bans simultaneous hakas. Imagine the furore if the All Black haka was interrupted by an advancing Samoan challenge.

You obviously weren't at Suncorp WC AB/Tonga test in 2003 former, when both teams did it together, everyone loved it that spoke to me at and after game. look I don't care if they banned hakas, for all countries, hell throw out the anthems too if they want, they take longer:p, but I was just replying to the rubbish that teams have to 'passively stand there' etc etc and it somehow gives ABs a leg up, yet not Tonga, Samoa and Fiji. Hell outside of WCs any country only have to say we don't want you to do it and they won't. Wales did it a few years back and I had no problems, the ABs just did it in changing shed.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm not sure. The Haka has been a tradition for a long time, albeit elevated to its current status only for about 25 yrs or so. So the performing of the Haka is not at all the issue. I think creating rules and guidelines around it was the problem.
If it is a challenge, teams should choose how they wish to meet / answer it. I think most would stand and accept it.
If it is a personal thing for the ABs, why dictate what anyone does around it?
World Rugby made it precious. Not New Zealand.

32 years ago it looked like it did 75 years ago. A semi circle with very little co-ordination. And a distinct lack of throat slitting.

Corrected referencing Shelfords role in 1987

World Rugby wouldn’t fart without sign off from NZ. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
25 years ago it looked like it did 75 years ago. A semi circle with very little co-ordination. And a distinct lack of throat slitting.

World Rugby wouldn’t fart without sign off from NZ. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous

:rolleyes:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Matt Todd out of semi, stuffed shoulder, son had noticed when he got carded he was holding arm strangely and didn't look like he could tackle!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You obviously weren't at Suncorp WC AB/Tonga test in 2003 former, when both teams did it together, everyone loved it that spoke to me at and after game. look I don't care if they banned hakas, for all countries, hell throw out the anthems too if they want, they take longer:p, but I was just replying to the rubbish that teams have to 'passively stand there' etc etc and it somehow gives ABs a leg up, yet not Tonga, Samoa and Fiji. Hell outside of WCs any country only have to say we don't want you to do it and they won't. Wales did it a few years back and I had no problems, the ABs just did it in changing shed.

I have no problem with the haka Dan, but those performed by the Island countries are really almost a joke in comparison. I don't think there is a schoolboy in Australia who is intimidated by the Fiji, Samoa or Tonga war dances (or whatever) but the haka turns grown rugby players into gibbering idiots.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
If any rugby player over the age of 12 is seriously intimidated by a bunch of guys slapping their thighs and making funny faces in a pre-match performance, then they may want to consider pursuing other recreational sporting endeavours. Petanque, perhaps?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Zero, I was really just making a facetious comparison of the war dances/chants of the PI nations to the haka - nothing more.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'll try and do some research but I believe they do have to passively stand there and watch the war dance.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
25 years ago it looked like it did 75 years ago. A semi circle with very little co-ordination. And a distinct lack of throat slitting.

No, it didn't. Buck Shelford had turned it around by then.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No, it didn't. Buck Shelford had turned it around by then.

shh Cyclo, I thought of that but didn't bother pointing it out. Anyway Sully is going to point out rules where they have to 'stand passively' there and watch war dance, which a haka isn't anyway, but whatever turns him on:p

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'll try and do some research but I believe they do have to passively stand there and watch the war dance.

Sully did you watch the 2015 WC between ABs and Tonga, Tonga started their Sibi Tau as they were home team for the game I believe and the ABs then started haka as response which could be done as long as neither team crossed 10m lines! I think the ABs atarted in 2003 as it was their home game (or whatever they call it in WC games when they decide who has home dressing rooms etc). Whatever I know I have seen it a few times, same as when Samoa ,Tonga, Fiji play in pacific cup games!

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Well done New Zealand, amazing performance. Better team by a long shot.

A Smith Try.jpg

I can't get over how the first try was scored though, all World Cup teams have been clearing rucks from the side and getting away with it.

Retallick comes from the side and clears the ruck, Smith takes advantage of the massive gap created having his monster lock lying in the way and scores.

Also looks very similar to the penalty against POM that cost Ireland there chance at getting back into the game.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Well done New Zealand, amazing performance. Better team by a long shot.

View attachment 11149

Also looks very similar to the penalty against POM that cost Ireland there chance at getting back into the game.

If you are referring to the offset of penalties at the end of the first half I thought POM was penalised for leading with the shoulder, Owens was perfectly happy with the side entry.