• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Martin saying kearns needed to be ceo as need rugby people running our game - gees he is a tool as oz rugby’s past insular approach of keeping it in the car park part of why in this mess. Not saying castle right appointment but intent of appointing outsider should definitely be key consideration

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Martin saying kearns needed to be ceo as need rugby people running our game - gees he is a tool as oz rugby’s past insular approach of keeping it in the car park part of why in this mess. Not saying castle right appointment but intent of appointing outsider should definitely be key consideration

Lol spare us Marto.

“The chairman wasn’t strong enough, the CEO hasn’t been strong enough. We need rugby people in those positions, true rugby people.
“You think of someone like my colleague Phil Kearns, who should’ve been the CEO in 2017, but was overlooked in an absolute shemozzle, and I’m sure that’ll come out one day.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Robinson's term is up and so he will go.

Clyne is up for re-election but there's some doubt over that.

Paul McLean might also step down.

Reactions: dru

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
The members are the state unions aren't they? States with a Super Rugby team get a second vote and states with > x players get another vote (just NSW and Qld I believe).

NSW and QLD get three votes in total and with ACT they have 8 votes Vic has 2 votes, WA has 1 vote and Players union has 1 vote . CLyne holds the majority if he keeps NSW, QLD and ACT sweet

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW and QLD get three votes in total and with ACT they have 8 votes Vic has 2 votes, WA has 1 vote and Players union has 1 vote . CLyne holds the majority if he keeps NSW, QLD and ACT sweet

why do you think QLD, NSW and VIC would want him? He basically kept the Rebels alive. If anyone is indepted to him, its the victorians.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
why do you think QLD, NSW and VIC would want him? He basically kept the Rebels alive. If anyone is indepted to him, its the victorians.

Buggered if I know, Reg, but didn’t they support him through the shrink to greatness?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Buggered if I know, Reg, but didn’t they support him through the shrink to greatness?

You all need to remember one compelling factor: RA gets to influence who sits on the NSWRU and QRU boards - RA's funds keep them alive every year FFS and bail them out as needed on crisis 'o'clock - and so these boards have a vested interest in preserving their known mates and friends on the RA board. The iterative closed loop.

In significant part it's this institutionally inbred, mutual backscratching and self-reinforcing system of governance that has kept the low competence, arrogance and 'no one is accountable in truth to anyone' modality alive and underpinning the way our code is run in this country.

The results of this governance MO are there for all to see. The pattern of slow, systemic destruction is undeniable.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
yes, because it was financially unsound to keep 5 teams

Reg, I’ve not been convinced by those arguments - which were actually that they couldn’t afford 4 teams, but I suspect you’ll just think I’m wearing a tin hat.

It does however seem to stretch credulity to suggest NSW & Qld are not complicit in the RA we have.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...tralian-should-replace-him-as-wallabies-coach
Michael Cheika insists the Wallabies’ next coach “definitely” should be Australian.

“I think definitely we should be pushing for an Australian coach,” Cheika said. “It’s not up to me but I think we should be backing and supporting Australian coaches wherever possible.”

Is there a qualifying time that would make a coach Australian? Is birthplace the deciding factor or where you were raised?

Would the same rules apply to players and coaches? If we can accept foreign born players as Wallabies, then surely we can accept a foreign born coach.

For me, the best coach possible is the first priority, I would actually prefer someone with no links or loyalties to any player or Super Rugby team who just picks the best in form players for test matches and coaches them with a plan.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

One thing that has largely been forgotten is that in 1994-1995 one Phillip Kearns, Wallabies Captain, was part of the secret push by the World Rugby Corporation. Now regardless of what anybody thought about that group the fact is he was the Wallabies Captain, appointed by the ARU and he actively entered negotiations and IIRC correctly signed a contract with another organisation which would've compromised or destroyed the ARU. Much like D. Messenger in another era. Now some people want to see him as CEO.

Sorry I retain serious questions about the integrity of somebody who does that.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One thing that has largely been forgotten is that in 1994-1995 one Phillip Kearns, Wallabies Captain, was part of the secret push by the World Rugby Corporation. Now regardless of what anybody thought about that group the fact is he was the Wallabies Captain, appointed by the ARU and he actively entered negotiations and IIRC correctly signed a contract with another organisation which would've compromised or destroyed the ARU. Much like D. Messenger in another era. Now some people want to see him as CEO.

Sorry I retain serious questions about the integrity of somebody who does that.

then that would involve pretty much every player in the Wallabies at the time

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)

No . VIctoria did not support the shrink to greatness plan . Victoria called an emergency meeting to stop it from happening but only Victoria and Rupa voted against it. All other states - including WA - voted to shrink to greatness:eek:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No . VIctoria did not support the shrink to greatness plan . Victoria called an emergency meeting to stop it from happening but only Victoria and Rupa voted against it. All other states - including WA - voted to shrink to greatness:eek:

Like your response but it’s out of context to my Q. I was suggesting that NSW and Qld control RA, not the opposite.

But as Reg says “we’re not going here again”. It is something of a rabbit hole with obvious polemic result.