• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 SF2: SA vs Wales

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The tournament overall has been great, but BDA is right about the offside line. Too many rush defences are constantly offside and it kills a lot of the good aspects of rugby.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The tournament overall has been great, but BDA is right about the offside line. Too many rush defences are constantly offside and it kills a lot of the good aspects of rugby.
It’s also the fact that the referees allow players to enter from the side, slow the ball off their feet (usually while bridging), and fall on the wrong side of the ruck, which allows the defensive line to reset.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
o

This kind of rugby in this modern era is not sustainable.

One poor game and you want to change everything. The rest of the tournament has been bloody excellent.

The only thing that really needs changing is scrum resets.

Leave the rest alone. It is a game with a set of rules that allows for different styles to challenge each other. May WE NEVER change that or we need up with a cookie cutter shitshow like the NRL.

Trust me I nearly lost my mind watching last night BUT I know SA will not stick to this style going forward. Rassie had 16 months and big forwards and decided this is the best plan for us. Guess what? It worked. They are in the final against most people's expectations. That speaks for itself. England, NZ, Aus, Ireland have had eyars with the same coaches, same players to work on a style of play. SA came out of an absolute mess. Erasmus is a smart cookie. He decided this is our best chance. That is SUPER debatable but Rassie has pinned his flag in that mast for all to see.

"As for the Boks, they've had the same problem the whole world cup.they don't seem to know how to score points once they have the ball in the other side's half." - does Rassie Erasmus see a problem here? I don't think he does. See above,

Creative play will be rewarded in the long run. Smash, kick and bash is a short term strategy that does not deliver consistent results any longer.

Leave the rules alone. See this for what it is. One team in a very specific situation.

I take your point, but I didn't actually say anything about changing the rules. The rules are fine. It's the interpretation of the rules that is really pissing me off. The offside laws and ruck laws are fine, provided they are policed properly. When they are not it makes attacking rugby bloody difficult. My observations, particularly in the northern hemisphere is that the officials are too lenient on policing infringing of defensive teams. I think Garces should shoulder a good deal of the blame for last night's spectacle because he did nothing to discourage negative defensive tactics

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
It’s also the fact that the referees allow players to enter from the side, slow the ball off their feet (usually while bridging), and fall on the wrong side of the ruck, which allows the defensive line to
reset.

Garces was calling a few of those last night, I actually think he was the best ref of the weekend and wouldn't be suprised if he gets the final next week.

As I mentioned in the NZ vs ENG thread the main ref can't ref the offside line and the breakdown, there is just too much going on at test level with masters of the dark arts on both sides. I think you need the assistants to step up in test rugby especially when you have top level ref running the touch lines, and start calling offside and forward passes. If they don't crack down on offside everyone will be doing dodgy rush defence and we will end up with lots of kicking. As Blue said, the rules are there to keep rugby entertaining but the refs need to employ them.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Faf de Klerk, was catching a domestic flight in Japan and when he sat down in the aisle seat he noticed a guy at the window and gave him a quick sideward glance then carried on reading his book. Convinced he had not been recognised he opened his passport and left it in full view of the bloke at the window. Still nothing so he then placed his no 9 rugby Jersey on the tray, still no hint of recognition. Despite having his pen ready to sign. Finally he couldn't contain himself anymore so he tapped the guy in the window seat on the shoulder and said " excuse me do you know who I am?" The bloke in the window seat says " yes you are Faf de Klerk springbok scrum half”. Faf got this big grin and said" yes that's me". The bloke in the window seat says " do you know who I am?" Faf replies “ No, I have never seen you before, who are you?" The bloke at the window says " Let me introduce myself, I am Handre Pollard your fly half."