• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Obviously not a fun walk down memory lane but what happened that year? This will show my age but I wasn't following rugby in 2007. Was Eddie an awful coach then? Was player quality miserable? What's happened in 12 years that's changed him into the world's best?

Persistence Pays Off.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm worried about the lack of test coaching experience from Rennie, Cully's article saying "but he coached one game against the British and Irish Lions" doesn't really stack up as a good excuse.

At this point in time i think we need an old head coaching, not an inexperienced test coach that will almost certainly make mistakes along the way while finding their feet at test level

In saying that he isn't a bad option overall, just unsure if he should be frontrunner as is apparently the case, he should be our backup if all other options fail

There is some delusion going on here , there is no process planned. It will be retro fitted and explained as required. Expediency and being sure to have secured the best available candidate (Rennie) as determined by the DOR will be the rationale.

Castle has signed Johnson to a multi year contract as DOR
Who ever the HC is will be reporting to Johnson
Improbable to consider that any of the established Test coaches would swallow that deal , only one breaking into that tier would consider it.
That was the price of keeping Cheika out of Castle’s line of sight and ensuring that he ended his tenure this year regardless of an improbable WC victory or stunning turnaround.

Quite transparent actually

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
But what are our other options? I know we aren't going to find that unicorn of a coach that fits all of the previously mentioned wanted qualities...

It's 100% Vern Cotter. Why are we not talking about Vern Cotter??

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I know this might be an unliked opinion but we could do worse then getting Jake White in, a bit like Eddie for the English, runs on the board, no nonsense, wins rugby games.

He re-kicked (irony) the Brumbies in 2012 etc into gear. There could be much worse then a guy who has won a world cup.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Morg's take on Vern:

Vern Cotter: Not as big a name possibly but this bloke is a gun. A cross between Schmidt and Jones. Kiwi who has been through the Crusaders setup which is definitely in vogue in Australia. Consistently excellent results over a long term period with Clermont in France. His performance with Scotland interests me. 53% win record with them which looks fair but is the most successful of the pro era and best since McGeechan in the late 80s-early 90s. He was of course in charge of their RWC campaign in 2015. Wallabies fans will shudder remembering how close they were to a semi final berth. I note also that he had a 3-0 win record over Argentina during his time, so who’s to say how close they were to a spot in the Final. Left largely because of SRU remit to promote Scottish coaches (hmmmm). Has worked with Aussie (and somewhat Scot) Matt Taylor who was important in the Reds 2011 Super Rugby win, so could help in repatriating him. Leaving Montpellier.

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Why should we, out of interest?

He took the perennially hopeless Scots to one terrible refereeing blunder away from a World Cup semi final, and they did it playing some pretty great rugby against more fancied opponents. Actual international coaching experience seems like it might be a handy attribute for a national coach.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He took the perennially hopeless Scots to one terrible refereeing blunder away from a World Cup semi final, and they did it playing some pretty great rugby against more fancied opponents. Actual international coaching experience seems like it might be a handy attribute for a national coach.
On the other hand - he achieved those ' feats' without any prior international experience.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah Cotter had great success with Clermont, with Brock James at 10. Then did an outstanding job with Scotland. Some calls for the Scots to get him back in charge after the disappointment of RWC 2019.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah Cotter had great success with Clermont, with Brock James at 10. Then did an outstanding job with Scotland. Some calls for the Scots to get him back in charge after the disappointment of RWC 2019.

Why was he let go from Scotland in the first place?