• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Would they have picked him even if he had made himself available for Fiji? Seems unlikely given the outside backs talent they have.

I think Filipo would of made both squads (Australia & Fiji) I don’t know if starting XV but definitely the squads.

Defensive consistency’s need working on but probably the most exciting open space runner in super rugby Daugunu.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe he bought a house and wanted the security knowing that others will come off contract right before the WC and be demanding more $$ to be a part of it. who knowwsssssss

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Just read an article on Rugby Xplorer about a cross code NRL/Super Rugby double header at Eden Park next March , Raiders v Warriors followed by Brumbies v Blues.

Any chance of the Reds and the Broncos having a discussion?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Quick re line I guess , sponsors would be tricky, the article makes mention of only a 45 min turn around between games.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Just read an article on Rugby Xplorer about a cross code NRL/Super Rugby double header at Eden Park next March , Raiders v Warriors followed by Brumbies v Blues.

Any chance of the Reds and the Broncos having a discussion?

Do you really want to sit down at a Reds game beside league supporters? I don't, two totally different mindsets. Might work in Auckland. It'd be a disaster in Brisbane..... then there's the different memberships & seating arrangements.

B

Bobby Sands

Do you really want to sit down at a Reds game beside league supporters? I don't, two totally different mindsets. Might work in Auckland. It'd be a disaster in Brisbane... then there's the different memberships & seating arrangements.

Not to be rude, but this is the complete wrong mindset if rugby is to prosper.

I think any strategy that leads to the Reds playing in front of a full house is a good one.

Nothing sells like a captive audience, it’s the gold standard of advertising.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think Filipo would of made both squads (Australia & Fiji) I don’t know if starting XV but definitely the squads.

Defensive consistency’s need working on but probably the most exciting open space runner in super rugby Daugunu.
Straya - potentially. Fiji? nah. Fiji have the best outside backs around.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quick re line I guess , sponsors would be tricky, the article makes mention of only a 45 min turn around between games.
I remember a reds match where there were no on field sponsors markings, only the lines. But the TV vision I saw later had augmented reality sponsors logos to make it look like they were there. The close ups in the broadcast clearly didn't have the sponsors logos either, only the usual camera angles. It kinda looked a little off and was slightly distracting if I recall correctly - possibly a trial and possibly why it was not continued.

Around two or three years ago I think.

Obviously it can't be done with the playing lines though.

B

Bobby Sands

I remember a reds match where there were no on field sponsors markings, only the lines. But the TV vision I saw later had augmented reality sponsors logos to make it look like they were there. The close ups in the broadcast clearly didn't have the sponsors logos either, only the usual camera angles. It kinda looked a little off and was slightly distracting if I recall correctly - possibly a trial and possibly why it was not continued.

Around two or three years ago I think.

Obviously it can't be done with the playing lines though.

This happens quite a bit in shows like home and away and is being put in movies after the fact now as well.

I remember when this had started in shows in Australia, and it was about 2010.

We would sell the ad space between the shows (commercials) and then sell ad space in the shows (an outline of a cereal box would sit on the screen as sort of a brown box as media space ready to be bought) would sit in the show as essentially a billboard that could then be filled by Kellogs, Uncle Tobys, Sanitarium etc.

Super-imposing ads onto the field was something they trialled bit essentially did away with I believe. But maybe with something like this they could try it again.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I thought they were still using cgi advertising for some games, from memory if an a-league game is on the following night they tend to do it since a-league have some different requirements about the quality of the pitch or something?

But if also remember the 2018 Bledisloe in Japan, those broadcasters absolutely butchered it and they had to cancel it 10 min into the match because players were disappearing behind the advertising.

B

Bobby Sands

I thought they were still using cgi advertising for some games, from memory if an a-league game is on the following night they tend to do it since a-league have some different requirements about the quality of the pitch or something?

But if also remember the 2018 Bledisloe in Japan, those broadcasters absolutely butchered it and they had to cancel it 10 min into the match because players were disappearing behind the advertising.

They might be, I don't work in agencies any more. But I watch alot of sport, and hadn't seen it, so it was just anecdotal commentary on my part.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It seems to me that every year there is one guy who comes through out of the blue and commands a starting spot over another player who was widely tipped to get it. I am interested in which player(s) people think that might be next year. Or maybe just a young guy who is going to storm through and nail a starting spot.

The obvious picks are McReight, Wilson & Lucas, but in terms of guys who are not necessarily rated as highly, my tip is Campbell. I think most would have him behind the likes of Daugunu, Speight & Hegarty (or Lucas) in the back three - but I was pretty impressed with him this year. He just seems to have a bit of spark about him and I reckon he might win a starting spot - possibly in front of Speight - whom I rate, but who is past his best.

B

Bobby Sands

It seems to me that every year there is one guy who comes through out of the blue and commands a starting spot over another player who was widely tipped to get it. I am interested in which player(s) people think that might be next year. Or maybe just a young guy who is going to storm through and nail a starting spot.

The obvious picks are McReight, Wilson & Lucas, but in terms of guys who are not necessarily rated as highly, my tip is Campbell. I think most would have him behind the likes of Daugunu, Speight & Hegarty (or Lucas) in the back three - but I was pretty impressed with him this year. He just seems to have a bit of spark about him and I reckon he might win a starting spot - possibly in front of Speight - whom I rate, but who is past his best.

Its a tough exercise, given the machinations, but one I think about a bit.

I can't see how Wilson doesn't start the season at 8.

If Lucas plays 10, I think Jock will be right in the running to play 15, which I think is his best position. Carter Gordon will be our 10 at some point, whether it is this season or most likely 2021.

I am a big fan of Bryce but it all depends on how we want to use him.

12, 13 are obviously settled (although Hamish is playing very well at 12 as well). Speight will take a wing, and then it is a little bit of a log jam for the other wing spot.

Right now, on the back of the NRC I think the Daugunu needs to start. But to be honest he always dominates that competition.

In the forwards it depends where Lukhan plays, but I think Blythe could be a smoky.

Will be very interesting to see how we play Wright and McReight - whether we do a one, two punch - or let them play together.

I really hope Lukhan plays in the row with Rodda and then we alternate Hocko/Blythe as the bench lock.

Hoopert will be the best loosehead next season if he isn't already.

Ideal backrow for me is ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wilson, Wright/McReight alternating - but I think if we want to play them both we certainly could.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Not to be rude, but this is the complete wrong mindset if rugby is to prosper.

I think any strategy that leads to the Reds playing in front of a full house is a good one.

Nothing sells like a captive audience, it’s the gold standard of advertising.

And how do the memberships for both codes work? Actually, the gold standard of advertising is winning. 2011/12 is proof.... no bogans needed.