• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

B

Bobby Sands

And how do the memberships for both codes work? Actually, the gold standard of advertising is winning. 2011/12 is proof.. no bogans needed.

Oh yes, rugby is so elite, just like polo.

Oh except neither in this country have any money.

I hear women are getting the vote soon too!

As a Richmond Tigers member, as part of a faction of over 100,000, we do not mind where our yellow&black brothers & sisters come from.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
And how do the memberships for both codes work? Actually, the gold standard of advertising is winning. 2011/12 is proof.. no bogans needed.
My original question was to do with if the Reds and the Broncos would consider something similar to what the Blues and Warriors have managed to put together.

Not ,who wants bogans at the footy ?

I’ll ask another one....... Are you concerned by the crowds the Reds manage to pull, and as a result , the economic position that puts us in?

Your answer seems to be just win. Maybe give someone in the QRU a call and let them know , it sounds pretty simple , shouldn’t be too hard .

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Do you really want to sit down at a Reds game beside league supporters? I don't, two totally different mindsets. Might work in Auckland. It'd be a disaster in Brisbane... then there's the different memberships & seating arrangements.
Actually over the past 20 years as a spectator, I have sat next to supporters who paid the same price for a ticket as I did,(well sometimes paid) so we shouldn’t judge and instead rejoice our sport.
Fuck it’s not a time to be selective who our supporters are. I’m backing as many bogans as snobs in all codes.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
My original question was to do with if the Reds and the Broncos would consider something similar to what the Blues and Warriors have managed to put together.

Not ,who wants bogans at the footy ?

I’ll ask another one... Are you concerned by the crowds the Reds manage to pull, and as a result , the economic position that puts us in?

Your answer seems to be just win. Maybe give someone in the QRU a call and let them know , it sounds pretty simple , shouldn’t be too hard .

And my original answer, twice addressed. Is how do you deal with the membership seating arrangement from both sets of supporters? Pretty major hurdle for 1.
Secondly, do you want the Reds game to be the curtain raiser or the main event?
Thirdly, yes. Winning works best. Remember 2011. Reds crowds outstripped Broncos crowds easily. Bandwagon support from the woodwork.
Fourth. The Auckland double header. Rugby has the upper hand. Here it'll be second fiddle and the majority of league bogans couldn't give two shits for our great game. No amount of gimmickry will change that.
Fifth. I'm far from an elitist. Just a realist.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Carter Gordon won't play at all in 2020 and is pretty unlikely to make the bench in 2021. He's a long term project. Incredibly talented but they are doing right by him but letting him follow a development pathway as he builds his body up

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Oh yes, rugby is so elite, just like polo.

Oh except neither in this country have any money.

I hear women are getting the vote soon too!

As a Richmond Tigers member, as part of a faction of over 100,000, we do not mind where our yellow&black brothers & sisters come from.

AFL and Richmond supporters are a very special group all out there on their own. It doesn't, can't and never will apply to rugby. And nor should it.
I'm as far from an elitist Australian rugby supporter that could be. But if you can't tell the obvious differences between league and union crowds in this country.... You haven't been paying enough attention.

B

Bobby Sands

AFL and Richmond supporters are a very special group all out there on their own. It doesn't, can't and never will apply to rugby. And nor should it.
I'm as far from an elitist Australian rugby supporter that could be. But if you can't tell the obvious differences between league and union crowds in this country.. You haven't been paying enough attention.

I think it’s an old, tired, and ultimately non-commercial mindset.

I’m glad or at least I hope I’m glad none at the QRU hold it.

The Broncos are powerful (asx listed), we are not. So our strategy is not to align?

Gotcha.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Carter Gordon won't play at all in 2020 and is pretty unlikely to make the bench in 2021. He's a long term project. Incredibly talented but they are doing right by him but letting him follow a development pathway as he builds his body up
He has also had an unfortunate run of injuries to date, some of which he has attempted to carry to the detriment of form , others have stopped him altogether.

Totally agree , talent to burn , but his body needs time .

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I think it’s an old, tired, and ultimately non-commercial mindset.

I’m glad or at least I hope I’m glad none at the QRU hold it.

The Broncos are powerful (asx listed), we are not. So our strategy is not to align?

Gotcha.

Align? Sell out more like. If you want to drive away the ones that remain sounds like a wicked plan. Gotcha.

B

Bobby Sands

Align? Sell out more like. If you want to drive away the ones that remain sounds like a wicked plan. Gotcha.

If you read the most recent RA AGM you would know that matchday revenue was down 2.7m in 2018.

What business are you in?

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

The powers that be, should have let Gordon play a year in Colts rather than throw him in to the deep end with First Grade. Getting injured is not going to teach him much or develop his skills. A similar thing could be said for Petaia. I am a massive fan, but I reckon he may have missed around 30 games or so through injury in his first two years out of school. That cannot be good for any stakeholder.

B

Bobby Sands

The powers that be, should have let Gordon play a year in Colts rather than throw him in to the deep end with First Grade. Getting injured is not going to teach him much or develop his skills. A similar thing could be said for Petaia. I am a massive fan, but I reckon he may have missed around 30 games or so through injury in his first two years out of school. That cannot be good for any stakeholder.

Jordan? The guy who was our best in the quarter final despite not playing all year?

Injuries can happen at any level.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

As in injury will prevent him from playing at all, or selection will?

I think next year he will be heavily invested in the U20s anyway, similar to guys like Lucas this year.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
If you read the most recent RA AGM you would know that matchday revenue was down 2.7m in 2018.

What business are you in?

Do you really think the Broncos would want to help out a rival? Share their success? What business are you in?
Anyway, I highly doubt it'll ever happen. If it does I won't be participating, I'd rather sleep in a crate of pineapples. But you knock yourself out!

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Its a tough exercise, given the machinations, but one I think about a bit.

I can't see how Wilson doesn't start the season at 8.

If Lucas plays 10, I think Jock will be right in the running to play 15, which I think is his best position. Carter Gordon will be our 10 at some point, whether it is this season or most likely 2021.

I am a big fan of Bryce but it all depends on how we want to use him.

12, 13 are obviously settled (although Hamish is playing very well at 12 as well). Speight will take a wing, and then it is a little bit of a log jam for the other wing spot.

Right now, on the back of the NRC I think the Daugunu needs to start. But to be honest he always dominates that competition.

In the forwards it depends where Lukhan plays, but I think Blythe could be a smoky.

Will be very interesting to see how we play Wright and McReight - whether we do a one, two punch - or let them play together.

I really hope Lukhan plays in the row with Rodda and then we alternate Hocko/Blythe as the bench lock.

Hoopert will be the best loosehead next season if he isn't already.

Ideal backrow for me is ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wilson, Wright/McReight alternating - but I think if we want to play them both we certainly could.

It's a tricky one for sure. I agree I cannot see anyone other than Wilson @ 8. Both Blythe and Hockings are fighting to partner Rodda. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a lock for 6 was one of the best last year. So openside, Wright has the front running & deserves to start. How long he can hold off McReight I dunno. I think we'll see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) move around 6 & 8, Wright move around 7 & 6, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) move around 6 & 5.

That's also ignoring awesome talent in Wood and Kibble. Going to be a nice couple of years seeing how these young blokes develop.

I also agree TSR, Jock has been sensational. Geez we have options @ 15 all of which I would be happy with.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will be the locks for the start of 2020, Hockings and Blyth will get plenty of opportunities off the bench, through injuries and on the back of form.
I am hopeful of a lot of rotation in the back row so that we build depth and experience across the squad.
Who knows what will happen in the backs. Lucas looks like he'll have the front running at 10, based on Brisbane City selections.
Petaia will be 13 but what happens around that in a post Samu world will be interesting.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Hopefully will see him for QLD U20 (if that's still a thing) and potentially Aus U20, but even that may be 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) will be the locks for the start of 2020, Hockings and Blyth will get plenty of opportunities off the bench, through injuries and on the back of form.
I am hopeful of a lot of rotation in the back row so that we build depth and experience across the squad.
Who knows what will happen in the backs. Lucas looks like he'll have the front running at 10, based on Brisbane City selections.
Petaia will be 13 but what happens around that in a post Samu world will be interesting.
Lock is a really interesting spot. As an incumbent Wallaby you would think Salakaia-Loto gets a starting Jersey somewhere and lock looks the best fit for me. But gee there is something about Harry Hockings. Maybe it is in part because the last few times I have watched him have been in Prem rugby or NRC and he has stood out in lessor company, but he seems to be a good combination of high athleticism and the ability to make a few freaky good plays.

I imagine all the locks will get their chances as they are all pretty impressive - but my early pre-season, full-of-off-season-exuberance (and lots of time to justify my change of opinion) tip is that Hockings & Rodda will be the starting combo by the end of the season. And I rate Salakaia-Loto.

One final point - whilst squad depth and player rotation will always be important you’d have to hope that Thorn is targetting 2020 as the year the team starts being a genuinely competitive side. As such, I’m not sure we’ll see as much rotation as in the past as picking the very best team and building consistency becomes the primary focus.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Agree with TSR on Hockings. I have seen him win games through his efforts. The Reds are going to have a ton of depth in the second and back rows this year. I would not be surprised if the usual starters/finishers are:-

4. Rodda
5. Hockings
6. Salakaia-Loto
7. Wright
8. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
19. Blythe
20. McReight

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m expecting a heavy rotation through 4-8 with the heat and age of player playing a part, younger blokes seem to struggle with back to back workloads, and potentially the earlier start of the season will see some players missing a game because of the heat.