• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
My concern would be how the dressing room would take that. If someone said they didn't want the Wallaby job because they were waiting for the NZ job I'd say thanks but no thanks. The players would want someone who wants to be here, not because it's their second choice.

And part of what needs to change is that the players are seen to be running the show. Anyone that isn't totally on board with getting behind the new coach (whether he wanted the AB job or not) and his plan can gtfo, and it doesn't matter who they are. If players were better at respecting the jersey and the privilege of putting it on, we literally wouldn't be in the current mess.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Doesn't mean he is first choice AB's coach. They are likely interviewing there top candidates. He could be second choice or third or fifth or worse.

Sure, but would he commit to the Wallabies while he might be in the running for the ABs job?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Sure, but would he commit to the Wallabies while he might be in the running for the ABs job?

Works both ways though, would RA commit to Rennie after positive discussions, now that Eddie, Joseph and more are now available and may be options.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would agree SEB if either Jones or Joseph really are available and interested in the Wallabies job.

I think it would only take a phone call to each of them to ascertain their interest.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Would Jones or Joseph report into Scott Johnson. I think it was envisaged that Johnson and Rennie would be a package deal.

The episode may only serve to reinforce the fact that Raylene Castle is extremely poor when it comes to contract negotiations.

Bulldogs, Folau contract now we may have Scott Johnson at best an expensive third wheel at worst he is a deal breaker to attracting a good coach.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Would Jones or Joseph report into Scott Johnson. I think it was envisaged that Johnson and Rennie would be a package deal.

The episode may only serve to reinforce the fact that Raylene Castle is extremely poor when it comes to contract negotiations.

Bulldogs, Folau contract now we may have Scott Johnson at best an expensive third wheel at worst he is a deal breaker to attracting a good coach.

Why is it such a big deal breaker to report to Scott Johnson then directly to the CEO?

I don't think it's that bad, in fact it could be better - you report to some-one with rugby coaching experience and good rugby knowledge rather then a business person. They can actually understand your selection or non-selections and tactics your trying to develop - and they can call you out on your BS like selecting Phipps or Foley.

It's not exactly like Johnston will be calling any shots at all... Apart from maybe questioning some selections. But even the AB's have a selection panel so I don't see it as anything different.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Why is it such a big deal breaker to report to Scott Johnson then directly to the CEO?

I don't think it's that bad, in fact it could be better - you report to some-one with rugby coaching experience and good rugby knowledge rather then a business person. They can actually understand your selection or non-selections and tactics your trying to develop - and they can call you out on your BS like selecting Phipps or Foley.

It's not exactly like Johnston will be calling any shots at all. Apart from maybe questioning some selections. But even the AB's have a selection panel so I don't see it as anything different.

I’m baffled as to why it’s such an issue as well, are some of these coaches ego’s so fragile that they don’t want to answer to anyone else and the thought offends them?

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
They can actually understand your selection or non-selections and tactics your trying to develop - and they can call you out on your BS like selecting Phipps or Foley.

And exactly how well did this work in the World Cup for Australia, Scot Johnson had zero influence over Chekia, he would have zero influence on Jones or Joseph. He is mates with Rennie so there will be a relationship there. Outside of appointing Rennie at best it’s a giant waste of money Rugby can’t afford at worst it is jobs for the boys.

Sport is the most clearly driven and reliably measured results business on earth. Appoint the coach let him run the show and if benchmarks are not achieved they are dismissed after 2 seasons in the job.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
And exactly how well did this work in the World Cup for Australia, Scot Johnson had zero influence over Chekia, he would have zero influence on Jones or Joseph. He is mates with Rennie so there will be a relationship there. Outside of appointing Rennie at best it’s a giant waste of money Rugby can’t afford at worst it is jobs for the boys.

Sport is the most clearly driven and reliably measured results business on earth. Appoint the coach let him run the show and if benchmarks are not achieved they are dismissed after 2 seasons in the job.
How the fuck would you know this? i don't get how people like you, people perennially offended by things you don't know anything about get the energy.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
How the fuck would you know this? i don't get how people like you, people perennially offended by things you don't anything about get the energy.

Assuming you agree Chekia’s selections were erratic so either O’Connor and Jonhson had no influence over him or they agreed with him.

Whichever way it went it either makes the position irrelevant or the individual in that position ineffective.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Cheika is an uncooperative man-child, no shit a professional set up doesn't suit him. He has said as much since he quit. Johnson was pretty clearly hired to run the post Cheika era.

Almost every pro sports team in the successful leagues have sports-side people that are senior to the coach. If you watch HBO Hard Knocks you'll note that some NFL general managers are VERY hands-on. The coaches don't act like little bitches because it isn't just them and the owner.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

This is the professional era. It's time to grow up. If you want the sport we love to grow then you need to accept the business will grow and in this the complexities of running the corporation increases - in which case more people are required to run it effectively. Specialization and delegation is the key to many successful companies.

It's not 1991 where the CEO only has to secure one broadcast deal with 1 out of 5 tv channels. The business is 100 times more complex then it was 10 years ago. Multiple profit avenues, more expenses, different marketing channels etc.

Now we need a business person as CEO and a rugby expert to guide her on the coaching side of things. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me (not that I am advocating they are doing a great job but i understand the logic behind it).

Or you can just hire Phil Kearns as CEO. See how that works out.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Cheika is an uncooperative man-child, no shit a professional set up doesn't suit him. He has said as much since he quit. Johnson was pretty clearly hired to run the post Cheika era.

Almost every pro sports team in the successful leagues have sports-side people that are senior to the coach. If you watch HBO Hard Knocks you'll note that some NFL general managers are VERY hands-on. The coaches don't act like little bitches because it isn't just them and the owner.

There is a big difference between a club / franchise team and a national team. Totally different set up national sides don’t have to talent scout, recruit, trade players, run academies, national teams only pay a portion of a players wage.

There is a role to co-ordinate all our super clubs, work on the pathways etc but to oversee the Head Coach no that would amount to that person wasting their time or not having much to do as the article below alludes to

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...t-johnson-the-wallabies-new-director-of-rugby

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Laurie was on the Rugby Ruckus Podcast and made some interesting points

On Aus Super Rugby rugby, 4 different defensive structures, 4 different lineouts, 4 different scrummaging approaches - and we wonder why the Wobs aren't in sync and get to re learn stuff

We need to find 10% more fitness

On the NRC, it is an upgrade on Club at best. It needs to be a full time 3 month pro structure - like the NPC, that way it is a true stepping stone to Super Rugby

He believes it would be quite possible for a couple of the assistant Wobs coaches to be Super Rugby coaches. Reckons they are two distinct seasons and it would be possible to have a full time head coach and one assistant, and then a couple who do assistant stuff for both

He doesn't want to be a head coach

Interesting comment re Jake White and possession in Super Rugby, no evidence high possession stats equate to winning

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Laurie was on the Rugby Ruckus Podcast and made some interesting points

On Aus Super Rugby rugby, 4 different defensive structures, 4 different lineouts, 4 different scrummaging approaches - and we wonder why the Wobs aren't in sync and get to re learn stuff

We need to find 10% more fitness

On the NRC, it is an upgrade on Club at best. It needs to be a full time 3 month pro structure - like the NPC, that way it is a true stepping stone to Super Rugby

He believes it would be quite possible for a couple of the assistant Wobs coaches to be Super Rugby coaches. Reckons they are two distinct seasons and it would be possible to have a full time head coach and one assistant, and then a couple who do assistant stuff for both

He doesn't want to be a head coach

Interesting comment re Jake White and possession in Super Rugby, no evidence high possession stats equate to winning
Yeah, it was a great podcast. Laurie has certainly put his name up for a Wallabies position and I hope RA is listening. He's a man with a lot of ticks next to his name as far as I'm concerned.