• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

B

Bobby Sands

Do you really think the Broncos would want to help out a rival? Share their success? What business are you in?
Anyway, I highly doubt it'll ever happen. If it does I won't be participating, I'd rather sleep in a crate of pineapples. But you knock yourself out!

That was never the question, and you are right I doubt the Broncos would be for it as we would gain more from the event, but the question was, would it be worth the Reds asking the question?

To my reasoning, the answer is undoubtedly yes.

B

Bobby Sands

Agree with TSR on Hockings. I have seen him win games through his efforts. The Reds are going to have a ton of depth in the second and back rows this year. I would not be surprised if the usual starters/finishers are:-

4. Rodda
5. Hockings
6. Salakaia-Loto
7. Wright
8. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
19. Blythe
20. McReight

I just have a strong hunch that Wilson will be in most match day squads. He has consistently been the the top two or so players on the field at every level he has played this year; U20 WC, Premier Grade, NRC.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I'm hoping he spends most of the year playing Premier Grade tbh. Probably not ready for Super Rugby yet mentally when compared to McReight and some others. Again very talented but still growing into his body and wouldn't b able to be in most match day squads. Would be ridiculous to ruin such a talented player like that.

B

Bobby Sands

I'm hoping he spends most of the year playing Premier Grade tbh. Probably not ready for Super Rugby yet mentally when compared to McReight and some others. Again very talented but still growing into his body and wouldn't b able to be in most match day squads. Would be ridiculous to ruin such a talented player like that.

I see you point, and it is said about every single young player ever - Jordan included ad nauseam.

I just think that the 20 year old professional rugby player today, its very different to what it was even 10 years ago. Most of these players going through GPS programs, and other development pathways have essentially been training and preparing as professionals since they were 15.

As an example, the French national side has 7 players 23 or younger in it at the World Cup. This comes off the back of winning the the last two U20 World Cups.

Players develop at different rates, and junior coaching is consistently shrinking the gap between schoolboy, U20, and senior professional football.

If he is ready, and the coaches will know, he will play - but if he doesn't play it won't be because of his birth certificate. It will just be that he is not ready to play. If thats the case, so be it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I see you point, and it is said about every single young player ever - Jordan included ad nauseam.

I just think that the 20 year old professional rugby player today, its very different to what it was even 10 years ago. Most of these players going through GPS programs, and other development pathways have essentially been training and preparing as professionals since they were 15.

As an example, the French national side has 7 players 23 or younger in it at the World Cup. This comes off the back of winning the the last two U20 World Cups.

Players develop at different rates, and junior coaching is consistently shrinking the gap between schoolboy, U20, and senior professional football.

If he is ready, and the coaches will know, he will play - but if he doesn't play it won't be because of his birth certificate. It will just be that he is not ready to play. If thats the case, so be it.

Harry Wilson is 16 months younger than Tom Curry who has just had an impressive RWC for England. He should be good to go next year at Super level imo.

B

Bobby Sands

Interestingly Scott Johnson named Zane Nonngorr, who is in year 12 at TSS, as one of the players he will he looking to fast track for the next World Cup. I know most of the old guard hate this type of talk, but it’s very relevant as he is the top dog in Australia on field rugby at this point.

Zane is in our academy.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
given current stocks, unlikely Zane will start or even bench for a while but definitely in contention for a wider training spot given there is a shortage of props. A prop from Norths is in the wider group that is fairly strange given his quality in comparison to others.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Its a tough exercise, given the machinations, but one I think about a bit.

I am too. He's just a good footballer who still looks like he's got some growth left in his game. He has a calmness and reliability about him. I think he's dismissed somewhat as he lacks some of the razzle dazzle of other prospects, but I think he's a player you could really rely on and build around. His kicking game has also been developing over the last year and he seems to be building some leadership capacity which is good.

Right now, on the back of the NRC I think the Daugunu needs to start. But to be honest he always dominates that competition.

He's another player with so much potential. I don't know if it's been the attacking patterns of the Red's or what but they just haven't seemed able to unlock all of his potential. He runs with such lovely balance. I'd really love to see them better utilise him this season because your correct his NRC form really fails to translate and I'm not convinced it's all because of Daugunu's execution.

I really hope Lukhan plays in the row with Rodda and then we alternate Hocko/Blythe as the bench lock.

How have you seem Harry's form? I've been a little unimpressed with him this NRC season. He's been a little inconsistent both across and within games to my eye.

B

Bobby Sands

I am too. He's just a good footballer who still looks like he's got some growth left in his game. He has a calmness and reliability about him. I think he's dismissed somewhat as he lacks some of the razzle dazzle of other prospects, but I think he's a player you could really rely on and build around. His kicking game has also been developing over the last year and he seems to be building some leadership capacity which is good.

Who is this about, Bryce?

B

Bobby Sands

given current stocks, unlikely Zane will start or even bench for a while but definitely in contention for a wider training spot given there is a shortage of props. A prop from Norths is in the wider group that is fairly strange given his quality in comparison to others.

I think as Scott said, he has traits and abilities that can't be taught. Apparently he was 170kgs in year 9. Trimmed down to 130/140kgs.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I notice that the fullback wasn’t really putting the big ones in to get across and tackle him.

I wouldn’t mind knowing what was going through the 14s head either.

He is a big boy.