• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 SYDNEY COLTS RUGBY

LowestManAlwaysWins

Bob McCowan (2)
Incredible display by uni forwards particularly front row absolutely smashed wicks ..completely dominated at scrum and breakdown.
Uni 10 Harry Wilson also best game of his year . Loved the niggle between 10s Wilson coming out on top.
Tough game and a bit of a shock I’d say for wicks
The Uni tight head didn’t qualify to play Colts but that doesn’t stop University
Randwick and other clubs elected not to drop their amazing U20s wallabies players into the colts team in the last 2 weeks
Yeh somehow Uni can do it and get away with it
He was the difference 2 weeks running and his own team lifted
Where was he in the first semifinal v Manly when Manly came within a whisker of beating them
There are rules for some then there are rules for Uni
Not all the Uni colts teams were in the finals so the excuse that all of their teams qualify and therefore the clubs can move players around is rubbish
Hollow victory for Syd Uni Colts
SRU look away with shame
Another nail in the coffin of grassroots rugby when we start bringing professionals into Colts teams on technicalities

LowestManAlwaysWins

Bob McCowan (2)
The Uni tight head didn’t qualify to play Colts but that doesn’t stop University
Randwick and other clubs elected not to drop their amazing U20s wallabies players into the colts team in the last 2 weeks
Where was he in the first semifinal v Manly when Manly came within a whisker of beating them
Not all the Uni colts teams were in the finals so the excuse that all of their teams qualify and therefore the clubs can move players around is rubbish
SRU look away with shame
Another nail in the coffin of grassroots rugby when we start bringing professionals into Colts teams on technicalities
Apologies
I meant to say the Loose head prop
Angus Bell

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
SRU look away with shame

Not sure what matches you watched last week, but I watched Uni play Semi-finals in Colts 1, 2 & 3.

LowestManAlwaysWins

Bob McCowan (2)
Not sure what matches you watched last week, but I watched Uni play Semi-finals in Colts 1, 2 & 3.
Angus Bell wasn’t eligible to play
Pretty simple
His age has nothing to do with it
He’s an amazing player who will no doubt go onto greater things
But he was not eligible to play and SydUni would not have won without him being on the paddock

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
So a ineligible player took the field in a semi and Grand Final. Grow up. Gordon need to be a little more gracious in defeat. You bought enough players while shunning your local talent. That will help grass roots NOT

Randwick strength over the year has been the back row. Uni back row matched and shut them down ending any go forward for Randwick backs.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
So a ineligible player took the field in a semi and Grand Final. Grow up. Gordon need to be a little more gracious in defeat. You bought enough players while shunning your local talent. That will help grass roots NOT

Randwick strength over the year has been the back row. Uni back row matched and shut them down ending any go forward for Randwick backs.

Randwick were undefeated 1sts Minor Premiers
Uni were 1sts premiers after a great Grand Final Victory
Gordon won the Colts Club Championship for the 1st time since the 90's
Easts won 2 premierships (and 3rds back to back)

All in all a great season for colts across clubs, bring on 2020

bignoofa

Allen Oxlade (6)

Hahaha agreed Gordon tried to buy the competition and came up empty , (club championship asde) but I can assure u that isn’t what they were chasing. Did wicks have any 20s stars ?..... not playing

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
SRU look away with shame

What rubbish. It was a cracking game of rugby from both sides. Randwick lost two players to the sin bin (their half back) and so did Uni. The Uni scrum was absolutely magnificent and the entire pack should get the credit, not just one player. Everything was working and Randwick didn't adapt quickly enough to unleash their back line. The Wicks line out wasn't working as well as their scrum. This meant they took quick taps or quick throw ins. I would bet they hadn't been in this position ever.

As to eligibility, the team eligibility is looked over with the biggest magnifying glass known to man. If any Player was not eligible, they would not play. Period. There is only one set of rules and to say otherwise is blatantly dumb.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Pretty simple
But he was not eligible to play and SydUni would not have won without him being on the paddock

Can you explain why you believe that he was ineligible?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Pretty simple

What rule are you relying on to say he wasn't eligible to play?
BTW, he is still only 19 and, as far as I know, there is no competition rule that prevents players who are age eligible to move backwards and forwards from colts to grade. A few Wicks colts played games in grade this year including 2 who played in the colts 3s GF.
I believe the only relevant rule is the one which says you can't drop to a level below which you have played the majority of the last 4 (?) games before the playoffs unless the club has teams in consecutive grades, in which case free selection applies. As Uni had teams in all 4 grade GFs plus 1st colts, I would assume that would allow them to select anyone who was age eligible in 1st colts.
I remember Ned Hanigan coming straight into 1st grade for a few games after leaving school but then went back to play the rest of the year in colts.

As a Wicks supporter I was obviously disappointed with the result but Uni won because they were dominant in all areas of the game --- they didn't win just because of one front rower.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Randwick were undefeated 1sts Minor Premiers
Uni were 1sts premiers after a great Grand Final Victory
Gordon won the Colts Club Championship for the 1st time since the 90's
Easts won 2 premierships (and 3rds back to back)

All in all a great season for colts across clubs, bring on 2020
Agreed. Let's forget all this eligibility crap and acknowledge the champions of the various trophies.
Then onto next year, the team that wins in 2020 will be the one that coerces the greatest number of the strong Gordon contingent joining the Colts ranks over to their clubs.
If they all stay loyal (which unfortunately never happens), Gordon would have to start as a short priced favourite.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
my take away from the Uni Colts victory (over the Wicks) is a front row is the most critical factor in winning rugby

it sets the platform. Randwick were seriously back peddling.

It wasn't just Angus Bell ... Breen is equally capable and the nuggety hooker has to share in the credit

and that IMHO is why we (the Wobs) are looking pretty weak at International level

we as a country need to be breeding more world class props ... and the signs at Coogee Oval were promising

Bring back the dark arts ... I say.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

With all due respect it seems Gordon did throw it around this year but more than half of the players that played in the 1st colts semi are local juniors.

Would think that is a large proportion better than the Marlins for example.

In regards to Angus Bell. He was eligible end of story. He was playing 3rd grade (1st colts) & coming off the bench as Uni knew Gordon & Randwick would provide stern opposition in colts.

No problem with what Uni did. In fact Gordon did pretty much the same thing with Joey Walton.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
First time I have had a chance to watch the Firsts Colts GF.

Quite incredible display by Uni Forward pack. Wicks were on the back foot all day. Uni took 1 tight head, were awarded 7 scrum penalties. Wicks managed to win just 3 of their own scrums. In all cases they were going backwards under awful pressure.

I thought Wicks unlucky with 2 scrum penalties that went to Uni when their front row got popped. I thought that was illegal and thought Uni should have been penalised.

Wicks did well to score 3 tries in the GF all things considered.

Congrats to Uni they were the best Colts team in the competition. Proof also that games are won through the forwards, especially the front row!

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I
my take away from the Uni Colts victory (over the Wicks) is a front row is the most critical factor in winning rugby

it sets the platform. Randwick were seriously back peddling.

It wasn't just Angus Bell . Breen is equally capable and the nuggety hooker has to share in the credit

and that IMHO is why we (the Wobs) are looking pretty weak at International level

we as a country need to be breeding more world class props . and the signs at Coogee Oval were promising

Bring back the dark arts . I say.

I don't know which 'wobs' you were watching but I saw a pretty strong front row, particularly Alan Ala'alatoa.