• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 Final: England v South Africa

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Good god what a performance by the Boks. 3 straight games they have destroyed the opposition forwards and won.

Also their tactical kicking was (for the most part) spot on - great chasing from Mapimpi and Kolbe

de Klerk is the best 9 in the world

The SA forward pack is also the best there is atm

Stu Barnes' prediction is David King levels of accuracy
I thought Faf was painfully slow at the base. Maybe intentionally

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Looked like Rassie was the coach that did his homework. Le Roux in at first receiver for the wipers play to pin Daley in the corner was a stroke of genius. England were also all at sea under the short box kicks, particularly just outside their 22.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I really enjoyed that game. It was a masterclass on how to use defence as attack. They really were brutal up front, and I imagine there will be some very sore bodies tomorrow morning.

I'm also going to go out and predict that the Boks will win the 2031 world cup. They're developing a pattern of coming good every 12 years.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Great to be a Springbok supporter. All credit to Rassie. Today hr changed to classic Springbok rugby. Soften with the forwards, hit with the backs. We stopped England getting the SH slam and winning cricket and rugby WCs. Tonight its worth to sleep naked.

Bok bevok.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Great to be a Springbok supporter. All credit to Rassie. Today hr changed to classic Springbok rugby. Soften with the forwards, hit with the backs. We stopped England getting the SH slam and winning cricket and rugby WCs. Tonight its worth to sleep naked.

Bok bevok.
Can't thank you enough for stopping the enemy from getting both world cups at once.

Cheers.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fantastic game by the Bokke. They did to England what the Poms had done to NZ the previous week. England were not allowed to fire a shot. Sadly England thought they had it in the bag by turning up. SA had different ideas and played almost the perfect game. Congrats and enjoy!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
By geez well done the Bokke!! F*** me and they won playing Bok rugby, the game we love absolutely brutal, and beautiful to watch!! All seems right in the world, although I obviously like the ABs to win, but I have seen a great final won by the best team, and even more I have seen a black Bok captain hold the cup aloft, that and his aftermatch words show how much rugby and the right people can make a difference in the world. And I not getting carried away ,and don't in anyway think all SA's problems have suddenly been overcome, but it certainly a pointer to how all can work together and itis ALL of SA's team, noone can say their were players their because of quotas etc etc , just a very good team, so let's all celebrate it!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great win, I thought I would put this photo up again, massive humans, who have put a lot of work in physically to play that way on the field

iu

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Bill holders, No 1 in the rankings v rank 6. Lol. Proof of the pudding is in the eating.
I did not mean to be disrespectful, was just irked by such a comment.

The Boks played to their strengths. Some variation with the maul which for me was brilliant, but I suppose some people do not appreciate rugby.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well done Bokke.
Won’t ever forget England performance in this RWC.

Superb stuff Japan.

My main memory though will be the referees. Not a positive memory.

To World Rugby and the coaches' credit they addressed the issues after the pool stages. But agreed it was a farce during the pool stages. The whole card system needs an overhaul. And may Skeen never be involved in a test march again. What a complete and utter muppet.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I did not mean to be disrespectful, was just irked by such a comment.

The Boks played to their strengths. Some variation with the maul which for me was brilliant, but I suppose some people do not appreciate rugby.
I originally said the maul was genius though and I actually enjoyed it as well (maybe because Cole was penalised more than anything else). Nevertheless, perhaps it’s because it’s a style of rugby I’ve not been heavily exposed to, I don’t think I’d tune in every week to a neutral match if it involved multiple midfield driving mauls. And, if that doesn’t make me a purist or a true rugby supporter so be it. Anyway, enjoy the win, I for one am glad you guys got up.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I really enjoyed that win.

A great team who clearly worked really hard and intelligently towards that outcome.

A credit to all who made it happen.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I originally said the maul was genius though and I actually enjoyed it as well (maybe because Cole was penalised more than anything else). Nevertheless, perhaps it’s because it’s a style of rugby I’ve not been heavily exposed to, I don’t think I’d tune in every week to a neutral match if it involved multiple midfield driving mauls. And, if that doesn’t make me a purist or a true rugby supporter so be it. Anyway, enjoy the win, I for one am glad you guys got up.
Fair enough mate.

Don't need you to enjoy it. I do and there are many who do enjoy it. It was a point of difference for me in the match where people said SA would be boring. That to me was not boring but we differ and I respect that.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
To add to that, for myself every scrum was an immense battle and I enjoyed every moment of it. It was spectacular for me to witness SA dominating in that facet of the game for the most part. When we don't I also appreciate it but I'm not too happy then of course.

These things are important for us as saffers and we will continue to appreciate them. Particularly against the English for there is no better team to dominate physically. The All Blacks are nice to dominate physically but we'd rather win the game. Against England I think it's a misnomer, if we win physically we will win the game.

We have lots of reasons to win it and England always brings the most physical out of the boks.