• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 Final: England v South Africa

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was an absorbing game. The brutality up front was a sight to behold.

England tried to match it up front with the Boks, but they were simply not prepared for how physical the Boks were. Vermeulen absolutely monstered the breakdown and George Ford is going to have nightmares about the Springbok backrow for months.

Garces let a fair bit slide at the breakdown, but he was pretty consistent. I don't think he did a bad job.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
To add to that, for myself every scrum was an immense battle and I enjoyed every moment of it. It was spectacular for me to witness SA dominating in that facet of the game for the most part. When we don't I also appreciate it but I'm not too happy then of course.

These things are important for us as saffers and we will continue to appreciate them. Particularly against the English for there is no better team to dominate physically. The All Blacks are nice to dominate physically but we'd rather win the game. Against England I think it's a misnomer, if we win physically we will win the game.

We have lots of reasons to win it and England always brings the most physical out of the boks.

I have to agree with that. Some of the rules with how they pack, have taken a lot of that out of the game.

But that was a good old fashion suffocation job, starting with the demolition job on the english scrum.

Even some guys that I used to play with(backs of course) needed it explained how a dominant scum sets up the victory and feeds into every other area of the game, unless you've been in there, there's no explaining the physical duress of standing opposite a stronger pack, and how it sucks all the energy out of your legs for the rest of the game.

That game was over when Dan Cole had to come on at minute 3.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I thought Faf was painfully slow at the base. Maybe intentionally

That's crept into the game though, I think refs are letting defences stand offside, as a result, the halves, are holding the ball, trying to bait the defence into going early.

One thing I'd like to see them sort out in off season, get the defence lines back and get some quick ball out of rucks.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Some pom was telling me in Tokyo(3 weeks ago), yeah they're big and strong, but they don't use it often enough on the field.

Bet he's felling like a right twat(to use their own vernacular) now.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
74615508_3786138964744936_1921666276304879616_n.jpg

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
The poms made the mistake in challenging the Boks in their pressers.

As an ordinary team you don't want to do that, as England you will never get away with it.

As much as you Aussies despise them, we have equal reasons to do so. It stretches a long way back, we always deliver against them when it matters.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Poms and Welsh in each others faces on WOL.

One saying they beat NZ, the other saying they only lost by 3 pts to the eventual winners.

Among some other interesting banter.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Damn Times with their paywalls blocking me from relishing in English tears.

Stephen Jones from the Twitter

No argument, no momentum, no scrum. England were utterly unrecognisable from the diamond formation that thrashed New Zealand and after a week of burgeoning hopes, nothing. Not once in the Yokohama International Stadium did they reproduce a scrap, a mere fragment, of that form.

South Africa, meanwhile, were unmistakable. Large, passionate, experienced, meaty — and yet not without some excellent skills. Their scrum was as it always is, and as England’s used to be.

They already had it won when Cheslin Kolbe rounded Owen Farrell down the right to add the second try — this was the third World Cup triumph for South Africa, though they had not scored a try in the previous two finals.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
They burnt our women and children. It still stings and runs through our veins to this day. The Boks will always take down England when it matters.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why is it directed solely at England? Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand were all involved in the Boer Wars as well.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The English players taken off their medals after receiving it was surprising. John Mitchell and Itoje did not even pitch up

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The English players taken off their medals after receiving it was surprising. John Mitchell and Itoje did not even pitch up
I can understand their attitude. They probably feel like they were given something just for showing up. I'm sure once they reflect on what they've done they'll be proud of that medal.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Rassie has created so much depth in the Springbok squad and will surely make sure er stay in the right direction going forward. In the past we never had this with totally new cycle of coaches and players. Looking forward to the journey.