• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That’s what off seasons are all about.

Let me see the coach first. Then hear what the coach is chasing. Then from our DOR on how the system is getting behind it.

BTW stuff the concept of Super Rugby teams being prescribed to WB game plan. Each state/franchise is entitled to drive toward wins and being competitive in their own way.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s all well and good Dru - but I know that there are some/many in the NZ rugby union system who claim they have been far more successful because they are prepared to work together and that the NZRU has a top to bottom approach which underpins their success. So, if that is to be believed, the argument that the States shouldn’t be shackled to a central model is actually counterproductive and self-limiting. And this certainly seemed to be the message that Laurie Fisher was
pushing as well.

Now, I am not an expert in high performance sporting environments - nor do I think we should just blindly try and adopt everything that has worked for the NZRU - but, from my perspective - I see the logic in greater IP sharing and a more consistent approach across the board.

I certainly struggle a bit with the notation that either the QRU or NSWRU could claim that their individual approaches over the last 20 yrs have been so clearly successful that their mode of operation should not be subject to challenge.

I guess the problem with that is whether RA have any credible capabilities to come in over the top and implement something better. I can certainly see where the average fan would be concerned about that.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm actually feeling pretty optimistic about the Wallabies for the first time in a while.

Exactly what my pre-seasons have been like for a long time. Wallabies,Waratahs, Manly - sometimes the optimism pays off, usually not.
It's like gambling. Infrequent wins stir everlasting hope.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So, wait ..... it was a SANZAAR conspiracy now.

Man, I wished you’d spoken up earlier. I bought in to the England conspiracy that was being peddled on here not long ago and, when Garces got the final I went all in on an England win.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That’s all well and good Dru - but I know that there are some/many in the NZ rugby union system who claim they have been far more successful because they are prepared to work together and that the NZRU has a top to bottom approach which underpins their success. So, if that is to be believed, the argument that the States shouldn’t be shackled to a central model is actually counterproductive and self-limiting. And this certainly seemed to be the message that Laurie Fisher was
pushing as well.

Now, I am not an expert in high performance sporting environments - nor do I think we should just blindly try and adopt everything that has worked for the NZRU - but, from my perspective - I see the logic in greater IP sharing and a more consistent approach across the board.

I certainly struggle a bit with the notation that either the QRU or NSWRU could claim that their individual approaches over the last 20 yrs have been so clearly successful that their mode of operation should not be subject to challenge.

I guess the problem with that is whether RA have any credible capabilities to come in over the top and implement something better. I can certainly see where the average fan would be concerned about that.

I'll come back to this. In the first instance I understand I may not have a view that is popular.

But let's start here: "there are some/many in the NZ rugby union system who claim they have been far more successful because" - if you want to ape the Kiwis there is very likely little we (you and I) will have in common. For me, jumping on the curtails of the Kiwis is completely a retrograde step.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
i don’t think we need to blindly follow their lead. I don’t think any strategy should be automatically endorsed or rejected just because it has been successful somewhere else. But I do think that the NZ model demonstrates it can work.

Having said that, and thinking about my post afterwards, I confess I would have been horrified if all of the States tried to copy the game strategy that the Wallabies have played for the last 3-4 years. So, if that is part of your reservation than I can certainly understand.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Missed but we actually have some real talent waiting to replace him in second row.

None of them has Rory's ability to disrupt opposition mauls or to manage our own. I do realise you are very much against rolling mauls, but at least for the moment they are part and parcel of the game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
None of them has Rory's ability to disrupt opposition mauls or to manage our own. I do realise you are very much against rolling mauls, but at least for the moment they are part and parcel of the game.
Oh yeah I'm not against using them at all - just against their general existence.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I see Nic White turned out for Exeter this weekend, any idea where he's going?

Also, makes a bit of a mockery of Giteau's rule

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
White?

2020, but due to his commitments up north won’t make it back in time to really be involved...
I'm glad White is back but, it's a joke that he played this year when in reality he's not available until 2021. Saying that I hope he plays next year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm glad White is back but, it's a joke that he played this year when in reality he's not available until 2021. Saying that I hope he plays next year.
It's probably inevitable that we will have to start selecting more overseas based players.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
It's probably inevitable that we will have to start selecting more overseas based players.

If we want to copy anything that seems to be working this may be it. We don’t have enough genuine test players that can make a difference to be not picking those that could help. Skelton the perfect case. He is superfit and in form. If the Saffers can make it work where is the issue?

S

Show-n-go

The Saffers have a production line of players that are able to step up and fill the void in super rugby, we do not