• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 Final: England v South Africa

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's crept into the game though, I think refs are letting defences stand offside, as a result, the halves, are holding the ball, trying to bait the defence into going early.

One thing I'd like to see them sort out in off season, get the defence lines back and get some quick ball out of rucks.

Interesting to hear the "Use it" instruction come so quickly during the 3rd/4th playoff. It was said way sooner on many occasions during the game, than in the whole tournament and the final.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting to hear the "Use it" instruction come so quickly during the 3rd/4th playoff. It was said way sooner on many occasions during the game, than in the whole tournament and the final.
It was like Barnes had found a new saying and wanted to keep using it

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

YIxwP5E4_bigger.jpg

Lisa Griffiths

@LisaGri63922378

@EnglandRugby
A lesson in humility wouldn't go astray. Wildly unprofessional at best, downright childish at worst. #medalgate#RWC2019

Rugby_World_Cup_2019_EMOJI_RWC2019.png

#englandrugby

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
They all fight for Englands queen.

Actually, getting well off track now.

But Kagoshima is where the Saffers were based for the cup.

The Satsuma fought and beat the brits there. I wonder if there was a reason for them choosing the area, that had historical significance.

I've actually visited this area many times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardment_of_Kagoshima

The poms turned up expecting an apology and compensation, got told where to shove that.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Well played South Africa.

Didn't think they had it in them, but turned it on when they needed to.

England had no plan B and like NZ did against England fell into the trap of playing the game the opposition wanted.

Massive congratulations to Japan they hosted magnificently. Cannot wait until France, we'll have a decent team then & I fully expect us to give it a good crack.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think that England will have the better in this one, I've just watch their YouTube show Rising Sons so I'm in full Eddie fanboy mode.

England have the ability to change things up. The way they started against NZ was very clever. They hit the ball up for the first minute and then started offloading when NZ were expecting more of the same. Resulting in their try that had the Kiwis rattled.
They have an outstanding kicking game with Farrell and Ford, look at all the space they found on the weekend.
Against Australia they new what we were going to do so kept us pinned in our half and trusted their defence.

South Africa are going to kick, let England play rugby, and hope to disrupt with their defence.

I think the variety that England bring will be the difference.

Even though I think SA will loose this I'm expecting a few years of dominance in the Rugby Championship from them. They are on the rise and have more in them. Rassie is an impressive coach and they players seem to have a huge respect of him.

I was so very wrong. I really enjoyed the game and the attitude from the South African players. The next few years should be great for them with the Lions visiting their shores in 2021.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I originally said the maul was genius though and I actually enjoyed it as well (maybe because Cole was penalised more than anything else). Nevertheless, perhaps it’s because it’s a style of rugby I’ve not been heavily exposed to, I don’t think I’d tune in every week to a neutral match if it involved multiple midfield driving mauls. And, if that doesn’t make me a purist or a true rugby supporter so be it. Anyway, enjoy the win, I for one am glad you guys got up.

It is a complete rarity. Will so easily result in truck and trailer if you do not get the timing right OR you could easily go dead wit the ball if you don't keep momentum and concede possession.. That is why nobody really tries it. Boks used is as a surprise element. Cannot remember when last I saw it.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
It is a complete rarity. Will so easily result in truck and trailer if you do not get the timing right OR you could easily go dead wit the ball if you don't keep momentum and concede possession.. That is why nobody really tries it. Boks used is as a surprise element. Cannot remember when last I saw it.
Likewise, have not seen it for many, many moons.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting comment re Eddie's selections in RWCs from Ben Darwin. Both times he didn't select a TH lock and they/us were smashed in the scrum

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Interesting comment re Eddie's selections in RWCs from Ben Darwin. Both times he didn't select a TH lock and they/us were smashed in the scrum

How much of the scrum dominance was a result of the Sinckler/Itoje incident? Apart from the loss of a pretty handy prop, I reckon it also affected Itoje's performance for the rest of the game.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)

Massively misunderstood, even by rugby players.

I remember when I played, I'd turn around to the 2 locks(if 1 was big and 1 was lean) and go, 'what the fvck are you 2 doing, changes sides'.

Every time subs came on I had to make sure they were packing in the right spots.

No fvckin clue.