• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Suddenly the Nations Championship (A version of it) is a good idea.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Hopefully it sees Scotland and Italy smashed regularly by all and sundry

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Did anyone not think the world rugby league would not reappear albeit with compromised version

No. I suspected we'd see something come back around. Been having a discussion about it over on the T2 forum. Will be interesting to see what comes of it. I'd hate for it to be a closed shop. Instead I like what was suggested by a Brazilian poster. Which would be to take a leaf from the Euroleague Basketball where there are 18 teams with 11 permanent licencees and 7 qualifiers.

Something similar with the 12 T1 nations plus say 4 qualifiers could be an option. With the 12 operating as permanent licencees while the other 4 would have to play off every 2 years against teams from either a 2nd Div. or the respective regional competitions.

Could even throw the carrot out there of allowing them to select the initial 4 teams to compete.

So every two years the 4 'quaifiers' would unless they qualify for the finals would play off against four teams that would come through the regional competitions and having won the right to playoff against the 4 by placing 1-4 (which will help determine who they play) in a mini-tournament featuring the top two from each regional competition. Which in this case would see Asia and the Pacific merged.

S

Show-n-go

At this point can't we just tell Europe where to shove it and bring Fiji and Japan into the RC. It makes the most sense from a time zone perspective.

100%

Plus for me it will dilute the World Cup a bit, I like the fact that our interaction with NH teams is limited, makes the big contests slightly more exciting

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
At this point can't we just tell Europe where to shove it and bring Fiji and Japan into the RC. It makes the most sense from a time zone perspective.

I actually would support that. In fact I believe we could achieve much more if we evolved the RC to something akin to the NC by introducing a biennial playoff for a spot and bringing both the Americas and a combined Asia-Pacific under its umbrella. Use the current structures to form the basis of a 2nd Div.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yep Derpus sounds nice but who is going to make up the pay that would come out of this concept, unfortunately probab;y SH need the money more than Europe.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Logical.

Also the reason it prolly won't happen.

I predict a stuff up of sorts.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah, making the RC a 6 team comp would make the most sense. Fiji could be problematic in terms of facilities, access to players and logistics, but need to be involved so they can get a financial reward for the exceptional players they produce.

I also think a rule where the top 12 teams in the world have to play against a T2 nation, at the T2's home ground, once every 4 years would be good. I remember the Wallabies playing Spain on a spring tour a while ago. Would bring money into the T2 nations coffers.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah, making the RC a 6 team comp would make the most sense. Fiji could be problematic in terms of facilities, access to players and logistics, but need to be involved so they can get a financial reward for the exceptional players they produce.

I also think a rule where the top 12 teams in the world have to play against a T2 nation, at the T2's home ground, once every 4 years would be good. I remember the Wallabies playing Spain on a spring tour a while ago. Would bring money into the T2 nations coffers.

I've lost track the number of times I have said this however get RC/6N teams play their first test of the year against tier two then again to start their outbound tours (for NH teams in July and SH teams in Nov). Simple.

Fox example in the July slot the Wallabies could play in 2020 Samoa in Apia, 2021 play Fiji in Brisbane, 2022 play Tonga in Nukualofa, 2023 play Samoa in Sydney etc.

Australia would in the November slot always play away so teams like Canada, Georgia, Japan, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Spain or USA. Northern Hemisphere teams do the same in reverse.

If you add in the two tier two tests, play H&A RC + Bledisloe, 3 game inbound tour, 3 game outbound that is 15 tests a year.

If we have 3 test tours (inbound and out). That would likely allow a couple of tour games (say 2020 against reds and tahs, 2021 brums and rebs) and on our tour north a couple of games v premiership/top 14 teams.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Japan are

I wish, I not sure who told you that some Japanese company is going to fork out the $s that it is going to take to make up for the other comp, but I suggest they are pulling your leg. Rugby is obviously going gang busters in Japan at moment, but if Japan and Fiji get their arses handed to them on a plate regularly as is likely to happen in a comp like that, I not sure it will maintain it's strength! much as I would love it to happen , I think the famous line from The Castle springs to mind.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Rugby Championship
Aus, NZ, SA, ARG, Jap, Fiji
Tier 2
Canada, USA, Samoa, Tonga, Uruaguay, Brazil

Winner of tier 2 plays loser of tier 1 for promotion/relegation.
Japan brings extra money.
USA and Canada gradually bring some $
Bring a Hawaiian team of Pacific Islanders and Americans into super rugby.
Players from islands, NZ, aus and SA play in the new japan league to supplement incomes.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Rugby Championship
Aus, NZ, SA, ARG, Jap, Fiji
Tier 2
Canada, USA, Samoa, Tonga, Uruaguay, Brazil

Winner of tier 2 plays loser of tier 1 for promotion/relegation.
Japan brings extra money.
USA and Canada gradually bring some $
Bring a Hawaiian team of Pacific Islanders and Americans into super rugby.
Players from islands, NZ, aus and SA play in the new japan league to supplement incomes.

Well, the schedule in the Americas has essentially be synced up with the SH. The Americas Rugby Championship will run during the same window as the RC. So this may be more workable than many suspect.