• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2019 Final: England v South Africa

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Status Update: still stoked the Poms lost.

Repeat repeat repeat.

:D

giphy.webp

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Do we REALLY want to go there?

How long have you got?

Personally I have no problem doing so. Indeed, would probably find it quite interesting. But equally I doubt (m)any others on here are interested in seeing this thread go wildly off course, hence why I chose not to follow up.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Personally I have no problem doing so. Indeed, would probably find it quite interesting. But equally I doubt (m)any others on here are interested in seeing this thread go wildly off course, hence why I chose not to follow up.

I'm happy to hear it.

I remember my father even telling me years ago, that when he was managing a team of South Africans, one of them(who was of English descent) warned him the other may resent him for being an Australian, as the Afrikaans still had a bee in their bonnet about Australia getting involved in the war.

That was 1 comment from 1 person, so may be total BS, but happy to have the record set straight.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I want to apologise for my previous rants in this thread. I was extremely inebriated.

No probs Boet. I remember as kid my pa use to walk out of the room when God save the queen are playing before a rugby test. There were some deep wounds.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Actually at some time it would be interesting. It's not rugby, maybe there is an off topic somewhere?

Careful. You don't wan't to get the Oom all hot under the collar.

It's a fascinating topic and one obviously close to the heart of us Afrikaners. Often for pretty sobering reasons like 4000 woman and 16000 children dying in concentration camps and the British blaming their mothers for their "lack of hygiene and no knowledge of modern medicine."

I guess nobody told these poor mothers to walk around the corner to the 711 to buy some soap and antibiotics.

Those who survived were pretty pissed and as we all know it was downhill from there in many ways.

Paarl mentions his father walking out to God Save the Queen. I had relatives who would reprimand anyone using an English word and refused to speak or listen to any English. They were also pretty miserable people. :D

Anyhoo. Books arrived in SA yesterday to some crazy scenes:
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/watch-kolisis-brings-cup-home/

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Careful. You don't wan't to get the Oom all hot under the collar.

It's a fascinating topic and one obviously close to the heart of us Afrikaners. Often for pretty sobering reasons like 4000 woman and 16000 children dying in concentration camps and the British blaming their mothers for their "lack of hygiene and no knowledge of modern medicine."

I guess nobody told these poor mothers to walk around the corner to the 711 to buy some soap and antibiotics.

Those who survived were pretty pissed and as we all know it was downhill from there in many ways.

Paarl mentions his father walking out to God Save the Queen. I had relatives who would reprimand anyone using an English word and refused to speak or listen to any English. They were also pretty miserable people. :D

Anyhoo. Books arrived in SA yesterday to some crazy scenes:
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/watch-kolisis-brings-cup-home/
During primary school one of the teachers, during a parent-teacher meeting, uttered the words:

"Engels is die taal van die antichris, maar ongelukkig moet hulle dit leer" and the response was some clapping and laughing.

To translate for you: "English is the language of the antichrist, but unfortunately they have to learn it"

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

What the locals thought? Fear, disdain, suppression, powerlessness, confusion, anger, hate to name but a few.

Not too different to what the locals here would have felt a while after Cook and his mates arrived.