• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
How did our cricket rankings go under Pat Howard’s leadership and by the way we are ranked 5th after the ashes tour. Being one higher than rugby hardly justifies his presence on the review team. He should have absolutely nothing to do with rugby as he failed at Cricket Australia.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/team-rankings/test

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...-smith-allan-border-ashes/2017-08-31?mode=amp

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...-odi-ranking-in-34-years-20180618-p4zm53.html

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
And when we followed his work load philosophy, how did we go?

Some years were good. Some were less so. What is not definable is what it would have been like without the workload management program. He didnt bat for the players or bowl for them and the period he was appointed for (2011 - 2018) was the "hangover" period post Waugh/McGrath/Warne/Hayden etc retirement so Im not sure he should be judged as harshly as some seem to on this forum.

I personally dont have an opinion on whether he was good or not. I have never met the guy but he clearly had his backers as well as critics. I am however, dismissive of dinosaurs like Ian Chappell and Shane Warne who have a history of not dealing with outside influences well, were opposed to the concept of coaching and external inputs to how their teams could be run. Just look at how Warne used to sulk about Buchanan. Their opinions should be viewed from their own personal biases, just as Langers, Finch's etc positive views should.

It seems Pat Howards biggest crime was to introduce statistics and modern sports science to a game handcuffed by tradition as well as not be an ex-cricket player.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I do think it's hard to judge Howard from the outside. Attributing the team's overall rankings to him is ridiculous, given the number of factors that affect that particular figure.

I'm inclined to think he'd bring a good perspective to a short review. He understands rugby, but he's worked in other games and can compare high performance structures to the wider sporting world.

Now if he was appointed to a full-time role we would be entitled to ask more questions, but for a short review I think he is a pretty good fit.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Call me a n00b but I'm struggling to understand how implementing a bowler workload program in cricket has anything more than sweet fuck all to do with being a committee voice in a review of a rugby tournament preparation?

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I’d add GRR too if possible, and have some sort of exchange program set up where squad members from super sides could be loaned out to our GRR sides

Interestingly I have heard a whisper that QLD was sniffing about having a team (not sure which team) play in the GRR in exchange for some Ballymore funding. Anyone heard anything about that?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
In part it reads.

She bristles at any suggestion that she wasn’t the right person for the job in the first place.

Geeeez, while it's a puff piece, is that truly what you took away from it?

I'm happier to see that there's a clear emphasis on retaining the promising youth coming through, ensuring the youth have clear coaching from school to super. More importantly she specific spells out that RA have done their duty to reach out to Eddie prior to the RWC concluding and even touched based with him within the last few days.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Geeeez, while it's a puff piece, is that truly what you took away from it?

I'm happier to see that there's a clear emphasis on retaining the promising youth coming through, ensuring the youth have clear coaching from school to super. More importantly she specific spells out that RA have done their duty to reach out to Eddie prior to the RWC concluding and even touched based with him within the last few days.

There was no perfect candidate, how on earth could there be??????

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Identifying players, developing players, and retaining players at all levels of the game. What's the plan Stan?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm quite satisfied with Castle so far. There's no doubt the admin of the game at high levels is a shambles, with the Sydney old boys network convinced club rugby is still the future, everyone else seemingly keen to keep the NRC going etc etc

However......

Castle seems to have done a good job - from what i've heard she had a big part in selecting the various junior coaches/placing a big focus on that level that have delivered decent success so far, and been instrumental in locking down the next generation of those players.

If that investment in youth keeps going, and they're nurtured through by Thorn, McKeller and Wessels, I think we're looking good there.

Lock down a good quality Wallabies coaching team - sacrifice some of the top players and their salaries if need be to do it, and I think rugby at a performance level at least is looking good.

JW, Rennie, Fischer - tick from me
Joseph, Brown, Fischer - tick from me

When we start winning again, crowds boost, participation increases, and as long as the right structures are developed to handle that and not channel it all back into the old boys networks bitching at each other, the future is looking bright.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
What a soft interview, not one hard question

Showbag had one objective here, support for some one Jones(Alan not Eddie) is critical of.

He couldn’t give a rats otherwise

Puff piece to let out the critical information that Raelene sent Eddie a text!

Outstanding journalism. We are so fortunate as a community to have the Showbag family looking out for our interests and selflessly ensuring we have enough Garlic Supplements to guarantee our health and an opinion to guide every part of our daily lives. Hallelujah

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Showbag had one objective here, support for some one Jones(Alan not Eddie) is critical of.

He couldn’t give a rats otherwise

Puff piece to let out the critical information that Raelene sent Eddie a text!

Outstanding journalism. We are so fortunate as a community to have the Showbag family looking out for our interests and selflessly ensuring we have enough Garlic Supplements to guarantee our health and an opinion to guide every part of our daily lives. Hallelujah

Oh good, I feared for your health after your last breakdown.........

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Given the opportunity, what would you have asked?

Exactly. I thought it was a pretty interesting interview. Particularly the stuff about Izzy. This was an interview that sought to elicit information, rather than go on the attack. Perhaps our lives would be better if we had more interviews like this.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I didn’t think there is anything wrong with the interview, no less ‘soft’ then the hundreds that have been delivered to other parts of the Rugby Australia, and Wallabies coaching staff fraternity in recent years.

At the end of the day people now hold their opinions of Castle, and they’ll take want they want to out of that interview to suit their own opinion.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
This was an interview that sought to elicit information, rather than go on the attack. Perhaps our lives would be better if we had more interviews like this.

I'm sure the Pirate would have conducted a similar soft interview with those he hates - Folau, Jones, Margaret Court.
(sarc off)
His interviewing style is predetermined by his opinion of the subject.
Hence no tough questions of Castle. Some examples -
"Were you responsible for the successful changes to Schools rugby?"
"Did your termination of Folau, arguably our best player, cause our poor showing at RWC?"
"Did your termination of Folau's contract lead to internal divisions in Australian rugby player ranks?"
"Why is the upcoming review not looking at the development of grassroots rugby?"
"Why is Scott Johnson not under review?"
"Why don't you and all the board stand down and offer yourselves for re-appointment?"

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I'm sure the Pirate would have conducted a similar soft interview with those he hates - Folau, Jones, Margaret Court.
(sarc off)
His interviewing style is predetermined by his opinion of the subject.
Hence no tough questions of Castle. Some examples -
"Were you responsible for the successful changes to Schools rugby?"
"Did your termination of Folau, arguably our best player, cause our poor showing at RWC?"
"Did your termination of Folau's contract lead to internal divisions in Australian rugby player ranks?"
"Why is the upcoming review not looking at the development of grassroots rugby?"
"Why is Scott Johnson not under review?"
"Why don't you and all the board stand down and offer yourselves for re-appointment?"

Most of these questions are stupid. Some of them would do well to get a run in the facebook comments on a daily telegraph article.

2. We were 47% with Folau in the side. Yes, that's right, as bad as we see Cheika's 50% tenure, Folau's was worse. We also won 1 from 7 against England with him in the side. His absence could only be seen to have caused our poor showing if you have a cognitive impairment.

3. Who cares? Folau is gone and the next coach and the Super Rugby coaches will do well to send packing anyone else that doesn't want to be on board.

4. Becuase it's a review of the wallabies? Why would a review panel selected to review the wallabies have the expertise to analyse grassroots rugby?

5. Scott has been in the job 6 months and was hired to run the post Cheika era, which would have started a year earlier if we had the money and a replacement. Why would he be under review at this point?

6. Why would even consider standing down? She was hired by the board and serves at their pleasure, subject to whatever contract she has. How on earth can she speak for the board???