• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Kata and Pollard are both positive recruitments for 2020 after watching you tube footage on both. The flyhalf position is still the biggest problem. Kata is a wreaking ball but is he a play maker? The centres with Simone, Kurindrani, and Ikitau are strong and Noah Lolesio possible bench but not flyhalf. Kuenzle is the closest thing to our best flyhalf but not ready and experienced enough for 2020 season. Disappointed he didn't get more game time in NRC as run on.
It would be a mistake in my opinion but I suspect we will see Simone there at some point.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Props:
A Alaalotoa
Leslie Leuluaialii-Makin
Harry Lloy
Tom Ross
Scott Sio
J Slipper
Shambeckler Vui

Hooker:
F Fainga
Lachlan Longeran
Connal McInerney

Locks:
Murray Douglas
Blake Enever
Nick Frost
Caderyn Neville
Darcey Swain

Backrow:
Jahrome Brown
Tom Cusack
Lachlan McCaffrey
Will Miller
Pete Samu
Rob Valentini

Halfback:
Issak Fines
Bayley Kuenzle
Noah Lolesio
Ryan Lonergan
Reesian Pastitoa
Joe Powell

Centre:
Len Ikitau
Kuridrani
Guy Porter
Irae SImone
Tom Wright

Wing/Fullback:
Tom Banks
Mack Hansen
Solomone Kata
Andrew Muirhead
Toni Pulu

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
6 Halfbacks seems excessive, especially with White returning the next year.

Kata listed as wing, and Wright now listed as centre (I think he started wing this year?)

S

Show-n-go

It would be a mistake in my opinion but I suspect we will see Simone there at some point.

i think they need to bite the bullet and throw Kuenzle in there, he has an experienced forward pack and some decent backs around him

Unsure long term what their plans are though in 2-3 years time i could see either

10 Bayley Kuenzle
12 Reesian Pastitoa
13 Tom Wright
15 Tom Banks

or

10 Noah Lolesio
12 Reesian Pastitoa
13 Tom Wright
15 Bayley Kuenzle

My preference probably being the 2nd one

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Simone/Wright at 12/13 seems like an almost carbon copy of the Nonu/Smith axis (although at a much lower level of course). A player of Wright's skillset at 13 also allows somebody like Kuridrani or Ikitau to fill in at 12 if the opportunity arises. With damaging runners like Pulu, Banks, and Hansen out wide, that dual point of attack could be lethal if well drilled.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bits and pieces from the Brumbies today for next year:
  • Memberships are up 15% compared to this time next year
  • Brumbies hope to do more community engagement
  • Next year is the 25th anniversary of the Brumbies so expect some announcements on that later (probably a jersey etc. Shame they're not playing the Lions who were the first game back in 1996.)
  • Lots of competition in the back row and at 10.
  • Pre-season starts 18 November and the Wallabies contingent will be back just before Christmas, instead of first week of January in previous years.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Bits and pieces from the Brumbies today for next year:
  • Memberships are up 15% compared to this time next year
  • Brumbies hope to do more community engagement
  • Next year is the 25th anniversary of the Brumbies so expect some announcements on that later (probably a jersey etc. Shame they're not playing the Lions who were the first game back in 1996.)
  • Lots of competition in the back row and at 10.
  • Pre-season starts 18 November and the Wallabies contingent will be back just before Christmas, instead of first week of January in previous years.
Shame membership sign-ups fell by 15% next year compared to this year. ;)

I wonder if the increase in membership coincides with essentially a new squad or is it a timing (more favorably weather) thing?

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
FF (Folau Fainga'a) as first choice obviously. But what do you guys expect to happen with the order of the hookers within the next couple of years?

Uh huh

Alfred Walker (16)
Pollard seems like a long term project....

Lonergan is a few more years advanced and still needs to adapt to senior rugby, so in the meantime McInerney will remain as the bench hooker.

If this year's NRC showed us anything about the ACT players, it's that Lonergan is still a huge step down from McInerney. Hopefully Fainga'a and McInerney stay fit in 2020, and Lonergan gets another year of development in the NRC.

I have a sneaking suspicion Pollard's future is in the back row.