• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2020

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why do you think our front rows look so weak? Who have we lost apart from Owen Franks who hardly played last year and Jeffery TMA who wasn't that great anyway? As I said I think Chiefs look really strong, Csaders still pretty good, and arguably the Canes front row is somewhat stronfer this year with Lomax, and young Fidow and Numea getting a bit of experience.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Geez you a hard man BR if you think the Chiefs are a weak front row!! Nep Laulala , Angus Taavoa and Moli are as good set of props in super rugby I think, I quite like the Canes with Lomax there too, couple of good young uns! I not sure how strong the second rows will be until I see the partnerships, but Chiefs didn't really have Lurch last year, so really just the Csaders down Whitelock. Personally I think the Chiefs are looking good, afraid my Canes maybe short a classy 10, (I surprised noone picked up that McCutchie from Hawkes Bay). Apparently we NZ super teams lost 50 players or some such thing watching the naming of teams on Breakdown. That was a good interesting show!

Dan, Just my opinion of course, but any front row containing Ta'avao being rated as one of the stronger ones doesn't say much at all about the rest.

Compare with the Brumbies front row of Sio, Fainga'a and Ala'alatoa with Slipper on the bench. That could very well be the Australia front row over the next RWC cycle. Then, look at the Tahs for the next few years; Robertson and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) are excellent props and will also make the national team on a consistent basis. Does the Chiefs' front row stack up as well?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In the mix for the Tahs undoubtedly. But I was referencing test standard players in my reply to Dan.

Will be a few years yet before Angus makes the national side. I would put him behind or on par with Harry Lloyd, Les Makin and Shambeckler Vui atm and Hoopert at the Reds.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That seems like a large amount of churn; perhaps to be expected post-RWC, WOB. How does it compare with a notional ordinary year (if there is one)?

What are your tips for finishing order across the NZ sides?

Number of newbies seems to be more or less in line with previous years esp as squads continue to get bigger.

Finishing order-wise I'd probably go with what Blake's posted but without the daylights, I think it'll be much tighter than that. Shit, Loss Bleus could even make the QF!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, Just my opinion of course, but any front row containing Ta'avao being rated as one of the stronger ones doesn't say much at all about the rest.

Compare with the Brumbies front row of Sio, Fainga'a and Ala'alatoa with Slipper on the bench. That could very well be the Australia front row over the next RWC cycle. Then, look at the Tahs for the next few years; Robertson and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) are excellent props and will also make the national team on a consistent basis. Does the Chiefs' front row stack up as well?

Yep fair enough BR, but I really rate Nepo Laulala, and Moli especially (both at WC as was Ta'avao),. and I actually still rate Nathan Harris as an above average hooker, I agree Brumbies have a pretty good front row and could be stronger, just don't think because thay maybe stronger doesn't make the others below average, and if you don't rate Ta'avo (who I don't think is really really top class either) I don't know how the hell you would rate Robertson as better. But as you say just our opinions, and we will really never know for sure . I would put Crusaders Ala'alatoa, Moody and Codie Taylor up as a more than below average front row too as they were all at WC.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Results of the Crusaders brand review due out today. They've already ditched the "knight & sword" logo for next year so I'm expecting the name will be changed from 2021. Sounds like they're keeping the horses, though, decked out in the member Unions' colours as they were in the latter part of last season.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Trademark application lodged with NZ Intellectual Property Office:

1574979074047.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
News conference done & dusted but all info embargoed until 2pm for undisclosed reasons. I'm sensing someone expects it to be unpopular.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
A supposed leak of the new logo. Guess we'll find out in a few hours if it's true.

xdvunpkh6i141.png

I, for one, hope they go with this dual penis penis' peni logo.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pretty funny how they tried to go with a bit of a maori feel and ended up with, as @zero wrote, duelling wangers.

Fairly duplicitous too, what with the Cantabs vanilla-white catchment area and unspoken brown fulla quota cap. The old GB Packers maxim applies, "if you see a brown man in Christchurch he's either in the local rugby team or he's just passin thru."