• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I believe John Folau was another. Probably understandable, however.

Andrew Tuala is the Newcastle hooker. He re-signed in October for 2020 so that is completely incorrect.

John Folau and Dud Roodt mark II (Le Roux Roets) both finished up without either of them getting a game (JF was selected on the bench but never made the field in R7).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Andrew Tuala is the Newcastle hooker. He re-signed in October for 2020 so that is completely incorrect.

John Folau and Dud Roodt mark II (Le Roux Roets) both finished up without either of them getting a game (JF was selected on the bench but never made the field in R7).

Two players who shouldn’t have been there to start with, I think signing John Folau was purely to add weight to the Tahs retaining Israel when he was considering heading to Queensland.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Written by someone who has never held a managing position in Australia.

I don't care if you now claim you have - you clearly haven't by the utter shit you just wrote right there.

One management position. Got rid of someone on probation so that was relatively easy. After that I gave management away because it was shit

My wife does management tho and I've seen up close how hard it is to get rid of people when you don't have the right policies in place.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)

I think he means jp sauni left the club

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
After every f*ck up a decent CEO should have some self reflection on what they could have done better

We have a RUPA agreement that doesn't allow negative clauses from what I understand, so she was hamstrung in how clear she could have been.

I also write contracts all day, you don't sign multi million dollar deals with key employees and lead sticking points to hand shakes. He was at fault, but so were the contract negotiations. But we have no acceptance of that. We will see after the court case if there is change

a couple of the Tahs squad left, the Newcastle based hooker was one of them

We had one of those, a jehovah witness, and she wasn't an excellent employee but our lawyers said we couldn't sack her for it. We has to find another reason

Did you mean
jp sauni?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Two players who shouldn’t have been there to start with, I think signing John Folau was purely to add weight to the Tahs retaining Israel when he was considering heading to Queensland.

That is a totally different proposition (their footballing value) and I didn't add Folau's brother to the conversation because of the obvious reason.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That is a totally different proposition (their footballing value) and I didn't add Folau's brother to the conversation because of the obvious reason.

Not sure what your post has to do with mine, i was replying to someone else talking specifically about their footballing value.

’Footballing value’ is exactly what i want to discuss, not political views or religious ideologies, tired of that crap being brought up at every opportunity

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Gotta say, I'd have zero faith in a lawyer or HR person* who couldn't hit the ejector button on someone like that.

Written warning 1
Written warning 2
Written warning 3 & dismissal

*It should be noted I have zero time for HR people as a rule. Exceptions exist.
Meh - easier to go down the performance management route.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm going to split that into 2 sections

PART THE FIRST: FOLAU
(with the massive risk of digging up this mealy corpse to dance around it, yet again)

EDIT: Just had a thought about the Folau thing - with court action pending, maybe those questions were off limits?

Loading the question with "better" is a sign of intent.

A key comment she made in the article along the lines of: if we did NOT re-sign him due to the first round of Instagram controversy, then we'd have got just as much criticism. Essentially he put RA in a no-win situation in the second round, and has shown no signs he'd do anything different.

I'd be keen to hear your opinion on what they could have done better, though. Enlighten us.

I didn't read the rest of your post, and obviously the horse had bolted, but I believe Netball Australia handled it better.. They basically did nothing.

Wouldn't the whole argument be done with, if Rugby Australia came out and said.. We are inclusive, we strongly disagree with Isreal's comments but he is allowed to express them, and we are a sporting organization not a political one.

FFS.. we all know how he thinks and why.. we dont have to agree just like we dont have to agree with Poey chaining him self to dozers.

But people got up in arms about something they should have just down played... 10 mins on Izzys instagram you know his a bit crazy..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I didn't read the rest of your post, and obviously the horse had bolted, but I believe Netball Australia handled it better.. They basically did nothing.

Any issue Netball Australia had to deal with was inconsequential relative to Rugby Australia's though.

I don't think RA ever had the opportunity to do nothing. Saying you are taking no action is an action.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
we are a sporting organization not a political one.

Sexuality and religion aren't political, either.

Though I take your point - the issue is that action HAD been taken previously in terms of saying to Folau: please no more. He agreed. He had a ghost writer tell the public he was willing to walk away if he felt he was hurting the game. He has said he would perform those same actions again.

I'm not sure there are many better ways RA could have done this if the other party is going to continue that behaviour.

And yeah, maybe we should have all rolled our eyes and waved it off. Like grumpy old people should wave off Greta Thunberg - but instead they don't, and go making conspiracy theories about child abuse and green power factions ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sexuality and religion aren't political, either.

Though I take your point - the issue is that action HAD been taken previously in terms of saying to Folau: please no more. He agreed. He had a ghost writer tell the public he was willing to walk away if he felt he was hurting the game. He has said he would perform those same actions again.

I'm not sure there are many better ways RA could have done this if the other party is going to continue that behaviour.

And yeah, maybe we should have all rolled our eyes and waved it off. Like grumpy old people should wave off Greta Thunberg - but instead they don't, and go making conspiracy theories about child abuse and green power factions ;)

It’s a polemic that works both ways. I’m completely over it but feel obliged to say something less a silent response is confused with something else.

Let’s get back to rugby and let the courts deal with this.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fair enough. Hooper must have been close to winning.

Samu Kerevi was 2nd. A lot of very good award winners I reckon.

Rugby Australia Awards 2019 Award Winners
HSBC Volunteer of the Year: Ben and Selina Blyton
Roger Vanderfield TNT Referee of the Year: Nic Berry
Nick Farr-Jones Spirit of Rugby Award: Peter ‘Doubles’ Daley
Joe French Award: Sharron Flahive
Geoff ‘Bunter’ Shaw Community Coach of the Year Award: Vaasa Afa
Junior Wallabies Player of the Year: Fraser McReight
Rugby Australia Rookie of the Year: Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea and Jordan Petaia
Rugby Australia Try of the Year: Nic White
Buildcorp Super W Player of the Year: Tayla Stanford
Vodafone Super Rugby Player of the Year: Samu Kerevi
Australia’s Choice – Qantas Wallaby of the Year: Michael Hooper
Buildcorp Wallaroos Player of the Year: Grace Hamilton
The Shawn MacKay Award – Men’s Sevens Player of the Year: Maurice Longbottom
The Shawn MacKay Award – Women’s Sevens Player of the Year: Charlotte Caslick
John Eales Medal: Marika Koroibete

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
For context

In many respects it is Cheika’s final gift for Australian rugby.
Were it not for Cheika, who was at the Rugby Australia Awards, the muscle-shredded winger, who tramples his opponents like a rhino on the charge in the Savannah, would never have landed in rugby.

“Michael Cheika, he’s the one who moved me to be here and (the reason I’m now) wearing this medal,” Koroibete said on Thursday night at the Rugby Australia awards, sweating profusely from the forehead.
“He took his time and he gave me things (targets) year by year and six month by six month and he’s the one (who has helped me).” ...............................................

His performances didn’t go unnoticed by his teammates, as he finished 50 points clear of second-placed Samu Kerevi.
Nor could Koroibete quite comprehend the magnitude of what he accomplished on Thursday, as he joined Australian rugby royalty including George Smith, Matt Giteau, David Pocock and Michael Hooper by winning the John Eales Medal.
“Not really after this,” Koroibete responded, after being asked whether he understood that he had now cemented himself in history.
“I wasn’t expecting to win this.
“Even the man named after this medal, it’s such an honour to meet him with all the great players who wear this medal before. It’s such an honour. I still can’t believe it. I’m wearing this bloody thing, I’m sweating inside.”
Koroibete’s award is a victory for hard work.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I’m comfortable in saying Koroibete was one of Cheika better selections, along with Giteau at the 2015 RWC.

I really could not understand why a lot of money was spent on a winger, at the time, particularly when the Rebels needed a couple more very strong performing tight forwards.

But I was dead wrong. This chap is a wonderful footballer, he is worth every cent of his salary.