• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ok so Rennie has coached for a long while and last won anything of note in 2013. Johnson on what I can see has not won anything anywhere ever. He has 16 games as fill in coach for 5 wins, 3 of which were against Italy.

Again, where is the compelling rationale for either?
You put Larkham up as a more compelling candidate. What has he won as a coach?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Ok so Rennie has coached for a long while and last won anything of note in 2013. Johnson on what I can see has not won anything anywhere ever. He has 16 games as fill in coach for 5 wins, 3 of which were against Italy.

Again, where is the compelling rationale for either?

Johnson won lots of games against me, his Northmead side was unbeaten 9 years (we got beaten 96-0 by them in the U9s)

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
He's won 2 Super Rugby titles as coach and has a good rep among peers. Improves teams when he arrives. Serious NZ coach contender. That's the interview for my 2 cents.

Doesn't matter how much they wow in a suit and tie, they need to have already wowed in coaching.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
It's day one minus 6 months. Rennie won't start until June/July. So can we leave the sour grapes alone at least until the Ireland series? Some of the negativity on here is a mind fuck. Go for a walk and maybe speak to a counselor ffs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It's day one minus 6 months. Rennie won't start until June/July. So can we leave the sour grapes alone at least until the Ireland series? Some of the negativity on here is a mind fuck. Go for a walk and maybe speak to a counselor ffs.

Yeah, just wait til he sees the available units for that first game .......................

Reactions: Tex

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
6 minute video of Rennie talking about the appointment.

Some key take aways include Rennie wanting 'to bring back' a number of senior assistants 'with a strong Australian flavour' into the coaching group - perhaps indicating they're targeting guys like Wisemantle.

Also some positive comments about his coaching philosophy etc.

Interesting that the appointment was made without meeting any of the senior players.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
From the twitter

xogSfqef_normal.jpg

Scotty Stevenson

@sumostevenson
· 13m

Dave Rennie. Great appointment for Australian rugby. A transformational coach who should never have been let go by NZ administrators.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Worst kept secret in world rugby!

Good luck to him. Hopefully the galahs on foxsports get off the chauvinist "AUSTRALIAN COACHES FOR AUSTRALIAN TEAMS!!!!" bandwagon and give him a chance to rebuild the team.

Agree with this Tex. I do think in the end we had pretty good selections but a myopic gameplan. Rennies challenge is to introduce a gameplan that is appropriate to 2020 - 2023 given the cattle he has to work with. I was originally going to disagree with you on rebuilding the team as I hadn't taken into account the post RWC retirements and overseas contracts taken by the most recent 31 players. 1 in 3 of the matchday 23 are moving on which is probably a good ratio to work with.
Anyway, Rugby in Aussie is a slow grind at the moment until there is some money back in the system. i wonder if Twiggy wants Clyne's job ?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
6 minute video of Rennie talking about the appointment.

Some key take aways include Rennie wanting 'to bring back' a number of senior assistants 'with a strong Australian flavour' into the coaching group - perhaps indicating they're targeting guys like Wisemantle.

Also some positive comments about his coaching philosophy etc.

Interesting that the appointment was made without meeting any of the senior players.
It seems that Raelenes angle was that Rennie needs to be focusing on the talent coming through which is now being secured rather than lost from juniors.

He mentioned her saying that to him, anyway.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
has a good rep among peers. Improves teams when he arrives.
Will be really interesting to see what he does culture-wise. One things for sure, he does not fuck around with under-performers. As soon as he usurped fartbrain Fozzie at the Chiefs it was axe-wielding time. Mils Muliaina? Done yer dash mate. Then all the rest of the 50/50's.

A typical Rennie team pictured here: https://www.facebook.com/chiefsrugby/videos/10154939091667210/

Fractious, splintered, disenfranchised, all on their phones to their agents

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
There’s a shock. Decision made 6 months ago. Another dodgy decision by a desperate CEO and an exiting Chairman. No process, came down to who would take the job on the basis of reporting to Scott Johnson, who was also plucked out of obscurity. Everyone appointed for 4 years. FFS

It’s a script from a comedy show.

I disagree Lost. I think RA are actually doing ok with their shitty little budget. Except for re signing IF without a gag order.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I can't find a huge fault in the process, given they clearly tried Eddie Jones and Jamie Joseph.

You can make a case for and against all the other candidates, but Rennie seems like he's good enough if we give him the right infrastructure.

100%
A shit system will undermine everything. NSW / QLD parochial powerbroking has cost us alot over the years.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
There’s a shock. Decision made 6 months ago. Another dodgy decision by a desperate CEO and an exiting Chairman. No process, came down to who would take the job on the basis of reporting to Scott Johnson, who was also plucked out of obscurity. Everyone appointed for 4 years. FFS

Where does it say the decision to appoint Rennie was made six months ago? It says the process took six months - who wouldn't start looking for the new coach when the (then current) coach indicates stepping down if a certain goal wasn't met?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

err ........... what?

Johnson has done great in the same role in Scotland, a country with many of the same issues Aus has, small budget, small player group etc etc

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I too am doubtful of Rennie's appointment.

After all, he only managed just the two Super Rugby wins, and six total postseason appearances, with a franchise that previously had just the two postseason appearances in its entire 16 year history. He only managed to maintain a pathetic ~70% regular season winning percentage and never had a losing season in what was, quite comfortably, the hardest Super Rugby conference. I mean, always making the playoffs from the NZ conference during his entire Chiefs tenure? What a chump.

And what sort of weak willed, confidence lacking, dropkick of a coach crafts game-plans for each opposition? What a loser. Everyone knows the best coaches belligerently stick to their preconceived selections and game plans with nary a fairy's fart worth of thought given to changing anything at all. Ever. It shows self-belief. That's why Ewan MacDonald, or whatever his name was, lasted five minutes while Michael Cheika enjoyed a long and successful five year tenure playing the Australian way.

I, for one, hope that all true blooded 'Strayan's unite in one of that fine country's favourite pastimes; disdaining this this dole bludging Kiwi scaffolder just looking for a free ride in Australia. Honesty just deport the c*nt now. He's probably selling weed on the side in Bondi or something already. I hear he also calls them jandals, believes Pavlova to be a New Zealand delicacy, and Russel Crowe to be an Australian.

This message is most definitely NOT brought to you by the New Zealand Rugby Football Union, who may have gone done goofed their coaching selection process.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
Where does it say the decision to appoint Rennie was made six months ago? It says the process took six months - who wouldn't start looking for the new coach when the (then current) coach indicates stepping down if a certain goal wasn't met?

It was made when Johnson was appointed

There had to be a credible coach prepared to work with him.