• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Castle said there were 6 or 7 serious contenders and none of those were local.

Eddie Jones was one they looked at seriously but was contracted to England and I'm guessing they weren't prepared to pay a stack of money they don't really have to gain a release from it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was made when Johnson was appointed

There had to be a credible coach prepared to work with him.

The Director of Rugby role is becoming more and more common. I don't think it is really limiting who will take the job at this point in time. Countries that don't have a named DoR likely still have the role filled to some degree.

Sloppy seconds again eh?

What a joke.

How so? We hired the person we had earmarked for the role for some time. No potentially preferable options were ever on the market (i.e. Jamie Joseph).

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Rennie only took the job once the NZ one was off the table.

So yeah we get the leftovers.

4 years as well. When will these clowns ever learn?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

You still haven't ponied up a candidate's name that you wanted.

I've got no problem with Rennie being appointed. I just hope he gets some Assistant Coaches that have experience at international level to help with the jump.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Rennie took himself out of the running for the All Blacks job. I doubt he would have got it but he pretty clearly made a decision to accept the Australian job rather than wait and see on NZ.

I see little point in trying to appoint someone for only two years at this point. The win record after one year would have to be so low to not be offering them a new contract that it probably isn't worth considering. You'd be working on the contract extension before any tests were played in 2021.

If RA wants a contract that is heavily weighted in their favour they either need to pay significantly more for a top coach or settle for a crap coach no one else wants who will take whatever is offered.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Looked at some Kiwi boards and the sentiment seems to be that the NZRFU have missed a trick with all of Schmidt, Gatland, Rennie and JJ out of the running.

Most rate Rennie highly.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A couple of points in Rennie's favour. Firstly his cultural background might give him an advantage in managing those in our elite playing stocks who of a similar background. Secondly, it does seem that a disproportionate number of the best coaches are New Zealanders. That must mean something. Finally, he is almost certainly a more balanced individual than Chubby. Just about everybody is.

Good luck to him. He does have some pretty exciting young talent coming through the system, if he is any good we will be okay.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm pretty happy. Always been a fan of Rennie since the 2012 Super Rugby season. Had that Chiefs team humming after the previous debacle.

Also in the 4min grab he seems like a reasonably considered person, I could understand what he was talking about, something I couldn't do with much of what Deans said.

It's a new era of Australian rugby. Lots of players gone and a coach with no allegiances to a Super team.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)

Would not offer this as proof but it wasn’t hard to piece together weeks ago

90097EF0-FD4D-4EB8-A248-DFD22E799327.jpeg

She wouldn’t or couldn’t maintain a relationship with Cheika, Johnson was the buffer and came at a 4 year cost with a solution for the coaching vacancy.