• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
He's got a tenuous rugby link in there somewhere, played while at uni? He's a loose ends now? (Not endorsing his leadership skills though)

I could easily see Mike Baird as a serious candidate.

Saw a bit of Graham Richardson baking Baird on Sky last night. By his account the lowest human he has ever encountered. Not sure Richo is a great character reference for anyone but the venom was obvious and was on the basis of his conduct to others, not the speaker. AJ nodding along in the background and he is as Lib as it gets. A politician turned banker, passed over for the top job at NAB... pass.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I wouldn’t be taking much stock in the opinions of Sky News’ talking heads....

I didn't watch Richo and Jones last night, but I do remember that Mike Baird not only sacked his police minister but kicked him out of the Liberal Party over what turned out to be a bogus ICAC investigation. That would be bad enough, but now that the former minister's been exonerated Baird hasn't had the decency to apologise or admit that he made a rush to judgement in the first place.

I'm really not sure that kind of character would be an improvement over Cameron Clyne.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't know Mike Baird, so have no idea of his personal style or characteristics. However, in looking for a personal reference, I can think of very few people I would place below Alan Jones and Richo.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Geoff Stooke, the former Rugby Australia director who quit over the axing of the Western Force, has called on departing chairman Cameron Clyne to stand aside as head of the nominations committee because his dual roles are in contravention of Sport Australia’s governance principles. (The Australian)
Stooke also said:
“Look at our most successful coaches. Alan Jones, a master in managing the troops around him. Bob Dwyer, the second time around, he managed his resources exceptionally well. Rod Macqueen had the most incredible ability to relate to people."
All leading up to his (now irrelevant) suggestions for Wallaby coach:
“Rather than recycling coaches, I’d be looking at one of the younger brigade as being able to do the job. Tim Sampson at the Force is an exceptional young man. Dave Wessells in Melbourne. (Dan) McKellar. John Mulvihill. Scotty Wisemantel.
“These are quality guys. I think we have to get away from writing off all the Australians. I’d be saying have a look at these guys. If they can manage people and resources and listen to the right people, they can do the job.”

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A short summary: 'let's go back to the 1980s where the States were king and we won Grand Slams and World Cups and we didn't have to worry about women'.

And how do we do this? 'Well we form a WAR CABINET with good RUGBY BRAINS and we FIX THE DAMN SHOW'.

OK, then.

Correction.
Marks said that rushing a woman into a position of power prematurely was a mistake, and that he had no problems if it was merit based.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All leading up to his (now irrelevant) suggestions for Wallaby coach:
“Rather than recycling coaches, I’d be looking at one of the younger brigade as being able to do the job. Tim Sampson at the Force is an exceptional young man. Dave Wessells in Melbourne. (Dan) McKellar. John Mulvihill. Scotty Wisemantel.
“These are quality guys. I think we have to get away from writing off all the Australians. I’d be saying have a look at these guys. If they can manage people and resources and listen to the right people, they can do the job.”

These do not seem to be good suggestions.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Correction.
Marks said that rushing a woman into a position of power prematurely was a mistake, and that he had no problems if it was merit based.

I read barbars comment to be linked to point 6 - Over focus on diversity, not the point about DP's role.

Marks and his mystery Wallaby have some interesting ideas. Do you think they realise it's 2019 and the world has moved on. I'm surprised they didn't mention returning to the amateur days and getting all the players to have full time jobs.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
He's backing home-grown but those guys aren't ready yet.

This, however, is a top suggestion:

… Called on departing chairman Cameron Clyne to stand aside as head of the nominations committee because his dual roles are in contravention of Sport Australia’s governance principles.​

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Correction.

Sorry, but that tends to be the line when there's an underlying let's call it 'tone' to someone's thinking. That read like yet another of the 'back to the futurists' that seem to populate the game. We and importantly they need to recognise that those days are gone and for the good of the game we need to focus on participation and pathways.

That's boys and girls playing the game. State based academies from around U14s (with proper schedules to boot) and up and the NRC leading into Super Rugby. The only thing I'd entertain is a change in the format to the NRC. But I suspect what I would like to see would differ from his. If the current format is to be done away with then I'd prefer to see it become our domestic/regional (in terms of the PI's being involved) championship featuring our Super Rugby and GRR teams.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting rumblings from the West.
Mining billionaire Andrew Forrest has called for Rugby Australia to put the game’s best interests ahead of “arrogance and ego” as he flagged a potential radical breakaway West Australian side to compete on the international stage .
The Fortescue Metals Group chairman flagged the creation of a breakaway national rugby side if the restructured board of RA continues to treat Western Australia as a “poor cousin”."
(The Australian)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Twiggy wants Castle gone along with Clynne not sure why other than visibility and the narrative. I’m uncomfortable with her but suspect it is guilt by association.

In the mean time Stooke supports a change by Castle in which the nominations committee does NOT stand sacrosanct - the States can nominate directly, as WA certainly will for Stooke. Then the States must vote for board members. Stooke will be knocking on doors.

Time for the States to stand up and act firmly, decisively, and with bias only to the future of the game.

We had a shit sandwich being served where Clyne was nominating seemingly without oversight or opposition, his replacement and new board. That shit sandwich seems to be thrown out.

As we seem to have Castle to thank for it, so we should. Thank her for it.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
How would that even work. WR (World Rugby) would have to play ball with Twiggy i assume.

Without giving this too much air, it really wouldn't be super difficult at the lower end of the "international rugby" scale.

The reason is that each national union is free to designate any match they deem suitable as being a "Test match".

So, WA played in Tonga this year, they could do so again next year, f'rinstance. There are national teams out there who could be given a (more than) competitive match, e.g. Hong Kong - incidentally, also not an independent country.

Now obviously that's not the same as competing in a RWC, which would require a nod from WR (World Rugby).

Starting lower, though, could happen. This sort of plan has been around for a couple of years.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Without giving this too much air, it really wouldn't be super difficult at the lower end of the "international rugby" scale.

The reason is that each national union is free to designate any match they deem suitable as being a "Test match".

So, WA played in Tonga this year, they could do so again next year, f'rinstance. There are national teams out there who could be given a (more than) competitive match, e.g. Hong Kong - incidentally, also not an independent country.

Now obviously that's not the same as competing in a RWC, which would require a nod from WR (World Rugby).

Starting lower, though, could happen. This sort of plan has been around for a couple of years.

Well, WA has been threatening secession for years. ;)