• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Coach Conga Line

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
A great signing. The more I look into Rennie the more I like him. It's going to be tough for him next year coming in so late, but I'm keen to see what he can do with the talent, and very curious which players he selects.

I'm very optimistic about this. I hope all those criticizing his appointment eat humble pie.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Great signing . Ive been to some of Rennies CPD’s over the last few years and he is top shelf. Despite his CV not showing international experience I am very excited about this appointment.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can we expect any real results from Rennie with only a month preparation time before the first international next year? He'll be pretty tied up with Glasgow you'd imagine.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can we expect any real results from Rennie with only a month preparation time before the first international next year? He'll be pretty tied up with Glasgow you'd imagine.

Not during the June tests, at least not the first game, those matches will essentially fall to his assistant coaches and potentially Scott Johnson to take the lead on preparing the squad.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's going to have an absolute shambles of a team for at least a year. We did just shed a good portion of our starting 15.

B

Bobby Sands

Yeah me too BS. If we get the assistants right and with the young talent coming through continue to develop, I think we'll be in good shape.

I'd like to see Lord Laurie and Matt Taylor (at the very least) involved heavily in the set up and spreading the gospel to the rest of the country. Taylor has a connection to Rennie and Johnson through the Scotland setup, right? Hopefully they can entice him to come home.

Tattsy will almost certainly be back. We essentially signed the Scottish setup when we signed ScoJo.

Getting Wisemantle might be a little tougher, but I think we will.

Agree re Laurie, keep Stiles away.

Wallabies are my second favourite team, look forward to seeing prosper again in the near future. History will show Cheik lost his mind two years ago.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He's going to have an absolute shambles of a team for at least a year. We did just shed a good portion of our starting 15.

Hmm I think the squad is still pretty reasonable, the gaping hole is in the halves until White returns. To'omua could play as 5/8 as a stop-gap but I think his best position is ultimately 12. Hooker and lock are both a little light on depth, lots of questions over the best positions for players in the backline, importantly though I think there is the right talent there, just needs to be meshed together.

Without considering any new debutants its still a pretty solid squad.

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. AAA
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Samu
7. Hooper
8. Naisarani
9. White
10. To'omua
11. Koroibete
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Kuridrani
14. Petaia
15. DHP

16. Slipper
17. Tupou
18. Uelese/BPA
19. Simmons
20. Wright
21. Gordon
22. Hodge
23. Beale

Wallabies still to be considered:
Dempsey, Speight, Hanigan, L.Jones, Hodge, Banks, Maddocks, Valetini

2020 potential debutants:
-McReight, Wilson, Hockings/Blyth/Swain(one of), Deegan/Harrison/Lucas(one of), McDermott, Daugunu, Johnson-Holmes

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think ScoJo can do a good job getting the team ready to Rennie's plan, whatever that is. Johnson can go to Scotland and create a battle plan with Rennie in regards to camps and a style of play to compete against Ireland. Frankly if we can take one game off Ireland I'll be happy.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Ireland aren't exactly in a great state either. It should be a tight series.

Have Ireland appointed a new coach? Agree they lost their captain/number 1 hooker for past decade plus others as part of the usual RWC exodus. Their Pro season finishes in May but will be interesting to see how they fair in the 6 Nations with England being the benchmark.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have Ireland appointed a new coach? Agree they lost their captain/number 1 hooker for past decade plus others as part of the usual RWC exodus. Their Pro season finishes in May but will be interesting to see how they fair in the 6 Nations with England being the benchmark.

Be good time to play Ireland, new coach and end of year tour when traditionally players are pretty tired, give the team a bit of settling in period I think.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Andy Farrell is Schmidt's replacement as Ireland HC. Appointment was made pre-RWC, I think.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I think ScoJo can do a good job getting the team ready to Rennie's plan, whatever that is. Johnson can go to Scotland and create a battle plan with Rennie in regards to camps and a style of play to compete against Ireland. Frankly if we can take one game off Ireland I'll be happy.

If Johnson can get the squad ready, one wonders the need for an additional coach.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If Johnson can get the squad ready, one wonders the need for an additional coach.

Only if you think "getting the squad ready" with the S&C guy as a pro temp solution is the same as having an over-arching head coach and all associated assistant coaches in place, then yes.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Looked at some Kiwi boards and the sentiment seems to be that the NZRFU have missed a trick with all of Schmidt, Gatland, Rennie and JJ out of the running.

Most rate Rennie highly.

They should try and get Eddie Jones.