• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, WA has been threatening secession for years. ;)

Twiggy has just moved all the Western Force players to the Principality of Hutt River to start the residential qualification clock. Minderoo will become the first ever corporate head of state to replace the dearly departed Prince Leonard and secession plans are well underway.

They will be a force on the international stage (pun intended) come the 2027 RWC!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Well, WA has been threatening secession for years. ;)

Actually won a referendum on it - tru fact. ;)

A rugby secession would be a lower hurdle, though. Don't need independence - just go the 'Wales option'.

Being in the Indian Ocean means the Pacific states can get stuffed. Westralia would join Asia Rugby. Get SANT to join up, since they're not needed by Australia (RA can keep Tasmania) and suddenly there's an extra international pathway.

SANTWAR.png

Plenty of tier two test opponents, competition against HK/Korea every four years to then playoff against Germany/Namibia in the repechage to qualify for a 24-team RWC.

Could be advantageous all round!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t think ANY of the sarcasm here has an inkling of understanding of the mood of WA.

The sooner we work together with a determined National footprint, the better all round.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Actually won a referendum on it - tru fact. ;)

A rugby secession would be a lower hurdle, though. Don't need independence - just go the 'Wales option'.

Being in the Indian Ocean means the Pacific states can get stuffed. Westralia would join Asia Rugby. Get SANT to join up, since they're not needed by Australia (RA can keep Tasmania) and suddenly there's an extra international pathway.

View attachment 11193

Plenty of tier two test opponents, competition against HK/Korea every four years to then playoff against Germany/Namibia in the repechage to qualify for a 24-team RWC.

Could be advantageous all round!

They certainly could. I hope not, and the changes in RA see an improved dialogue, all jokes aside.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Dick Marks is sponsoring a petition to change the Board of RA.
His article, plus opportunities to comment, and a link to the petition are at www.letsfixaustralianrugby.com.au.

I stopped reading here;
Making Ewen McKenzie the virtual CEO of the Wallabies and prematurely giving a woman authority over hardened Wallaby campaigners (no problems when merit based);

Lost all credibility and respect right from the get-go with this.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I stopped reading here;

Lost all credibility and respect right from the get-go with this.

What about that point was incorrect? Seems a reasonable reflection of history to me.

I do take issue with the description of "woman", her gender was irrelevant.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Marks' letter does highlight a lot of what has gone wrong with Australian Rugby. We haven't adapted well to the changing landscape of rugby both domestically and abroad, and sport and entertainment in Australia in general.

The answer he tries to provide is totally inappropriate though. The Marks' "old school" approach is classic (and flawed) conservative thinking that we should revert to what we did at some point in the past when things were going well, ignoring the fact that the landscape is markedly different now.

You can't bring back the past. It just doesn't happen. The world has moved on and you have to work within the parameters that exist now.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What about that point was incorrect? Seems a reasonable reflection of history to me.

Mate I been to a few Rugby dinners where Dick was the compere, and would be very surprised if he thought differently, he certainly shall we say pretty sexist!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

The whole saga to me demonstrated player power that particular individuals have wielded. The way I interpreted Dicks words was, he was upset with Link being given free reign at the Wallabies and that Patterson told some players what to do. The whole "hardened Wallaby campaigners" makes those children seem to be untouchables. It was clear that those individuals were major disruptors at a Wallaby level both that year and for the years to come.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The whole saga to me demonstrated player power that particular individuals have wielded. The way I interpreted Dicks words was, he was upset with Link being given free reign at the Wallabies and that Patterson told some players what to do. The whole "hardened Wallaby campaigners" makes those children seem to be untouchables. It was clear that those individuals were major disruptors at a Wallaby level both that year and for the years to come.

Link was essentially given free reign at RA. He inserted himself into many aspects of the business/organisation that would normally have nothing to do with being coach of the Wallabies (and was given that right by Pulver).

Patston's role was a minor part of that issue but the major public symptom of it.

The ugly public airing of it all is what ultimately brought it all to a head but I'm unsure how long it would have continued regardless.

Your focus is clearly on the Patston saga which is not where I see the bulk of that point relating. Marks' sexist language has certainly pushed an emphasis towards there though.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Link was essentially given free reign at RA. He inserted himself into many aspects of the business/organisation that would normally have nothing to do with being coach of the Wallabies (and was given that right by Pulver).
I'm not sure the take on that is quite right. Was there a team manager to do those things?

The suggestion is that, rather than inserting himself and being privileged with "the right", it was instead a case of double-duty burdens driven by Pulver's cost cutting.

andrewM

Herbert Moran (7)
Loving it! I'm not quite sure how much to read into Twiggy's statement - he certainly knows how to tap into the passion of WA Rugby supporters. I certainly support Stooke rejoining the RA board. With Clyne leaving, it would certainly be a good sign of reconciliation with the West. Regardless of who else may join the RA board, I doubt that any of them would gain the trust of us Sandgropers and the chasm between east and west will remain.

having said that, I quite like the idea of being a Tier 2 'nation', could be what Rugby in this country needs - it should appeal to Castle as well - if the EARU Wallabies can't beat the Kiwis, at least then they'll have a team in their backyard that they can (or should) beat. Given a few mill of Twiggy's money to poach some promising players for residency purposes, another for some coaching talent and some more for local player development and expansion and who knows what could happen in a few years

Now for a Name..

In Stooke and Twiggy we trust.
#showusthespreadsheet