• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^Would say that a few of the younger fellas that end up doing preseason with the senior squad are more there for the development experience. Thought Carter Gordon benefitted a lot from last season's preseason with the senior squad.

Guess it also gives the Reds a look at how some of these young guys stack up both physically and emotionally against the pros , rather just seeing them excel in their age groups.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I love everything that the Reds are doing right now but one small grumble that I have is the amount of development and/or training squad players that they are bringing in for pre-season trials.

Is there a reason why you see this is a problem? Exposing the younger members early to such an environment is hugely beneficial in my mind. They see what level they need to be playing/training at to make it into Super Rugby and also have zero expectations or pressure on them. It's an opportunity for them to just absorb information, learn how to balance their training load and also giving them time to bond with future coaches and team mates.

It's a win win situation in my mind. For most of the guys you're talking about, the summer break is dead time for them. For those at Uni, its summer break so they have free time up their sleeve. For others not studying, it should in theory help with keeping them out of too much trouble i.e. they have training at 6am on a Wednesday/Thursday morning so can't go out playing with the silly stuff.

B

Bobby Sands

Is there a reason why you see this is a problem? Exposing the younger members early to such an environment is hugely beneficial in my mind. They see what level they need to be playing/training at to make it into Super Rugby and also have zero expectations or pressure on them. It's an opportunity for them to just absorb information, learn how to balance their training load and also giving them time to bond with future coaches and team mates.

It's a win win situation in my mind. For most of the guys you're talking about, the summer break is dead time for them. For those at Uni, its summer break so they have free time up their sleeve. For others not studying, it should in theory help with keeping them out of too much trouble i.e. they have training at 6am on a Wednesday/Thursday morning so can't go out playing with the silly stuff.

Someone always pops up too.

Remember this time last year, Isaac Lucas was a kid who had just done well in the U19s - by the end of pre-season he was basically picking himself given how he had performed in pre-season.

Jake Shatz did a similar thing in Link's first pre-season.

Young kids keep the old blokes honest.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Just a bit worried that a schoolboy Ponga will be lost to league again. Would be incredibly tough to decide what to do at an Australian Super Rugby club, if you don’t reward schoolboy talent quickly enough there’s a fair chance league will get it etc.

B

Bobby Sands

Just a bit worried that a schoolboy Ponga will be lost to league again. Would be incredibly tough to decide what to do at an Australian Super Rugby club, if you don’t reward schoolboy talent quickly enough there’s a fair chance league will get it etc.

Ponga was never coming to rugby, I think Churchie knew that - same as Karmichael.

Ponga was signed to the Cowboys while still at school.

Dion is different because he turned down offers from league. I’d be very surprised if he does not have some sort of Reds development contract & I think Prems at UQ is a great environment for him.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Australian Rugby to their credit have completely changed their approach to contracting young players.. Whilst I say to their credit, they were probably 10 years late to react, and there was probably a lost generation of rugby players during the 2005-2015 years who could have stayed in rugby if rugby were competing with the NRL/AFL at retaining them at that 16-18yr old age bracket.

In recent years you have guys like Carter Gordon, Reesjan Pasitoa, JoJo Fifita and a few more have signed to rugby still at school with a year or two more to go. In the 2005-2015 era, rugby union signing a player who just finished school was rare let alone signing one who still attending school.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Other than KB (Kurtley Beale), Quade, JOC (James O'Connor), Pocock, CFS, Browning and Hooper to name just a few?

Im not saying 'no players weren't retained'... but there are plenty out there that Rugby Union were never in the race for because they were signed at school by the NRL clubs, looking at this years state of origin, all these players played rugby union as schoolboys: Tyson Frizell, Damian Cook, Angus Crighton, Cameron Murray, Dylan Napa, Kalyn Ponga, Will Chambers, Ethan Lowe. In reality some were never going to stay in rugby, but some had already signed to play NRL before RA even cam knocking to gauge interest.

Looking at the wider tournament you've got guys like Jaydn Su'a, Brodie Croft, Tepai Meoroa, Joe Tomane, Luke Keary, Taan Milne or who were long time rugby players but switched codes straight out of, or still whilst attending school. Some who have come back to the code.

Rugby will never keep all of them thats the reality and a reflection of the GPS scholarship scheme, but what rugby needs to do is ensure it can cherry pick those who can contribute to the game long term.

B

Bobby Sands

Australian Rugby to their credit have completely changed their approach to contracting young players.. Whilst I say to their credit, they were probably 10 years late to react, and there was probably a lost generation of rugby players during the 2005-2015 years who could have stayed in rugby if rugby were competing with the NRL/AFL at retaining them at that 16-18yr old age bracket.

In recent years you have guys like Carter Gordon, Reesjan Pasitoa, JoJo Fifita and a few more have signed to rugby still at school with a year or two more to go. In the 2005-2015 era, rugby union signing a player who just finished school was rare let alone signing one who still attending school.

Caleb Brown ;)

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Im not saying 'no players weren't retained'. but there are plenty out there that Rugby Union were never in the race for because they were signed at school by the NRL clubs, looking at this years state of origin, all these players played rugby union as schoolboys: Tyson Frizell, Damian Cook, Angus Crighton, Cameron Murray, Dylan Napa, Kalyn Ponga, Will Chambers, Ethan Lowe. In reality some were never going to stay in rugby, but some had already signed to play NRL before RA even cam knocking to gauge interest.

Looking at the wider tournament you've got guys like Jaydn Su'a, Brodie Croft, Tepai Meoroa, Joe Tomane, Luke Keary, Taan Milne or who were long time rugby players but switched codes straight out of, or still whilst attending school. Some who have come back to the code.

Thing is - a lot of these boys are "rugby union" players whilst at highschool, but we forget to recognise the fact that they only reason that they are playing rugby union at private schools is because they were excellent rugby league players beforehand.

A lot of boys - like Kurtley - play league as a youth, receive a scholarship to play Union, and then we get confused when they go back to league.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Thing is - a lot of these boys are "rugby union" players whilst at highschool, but we forget to recognise the fact that they only reason that they are playing rugby union at private schools is because they were excellent rugby league players beforehand.

A lot of boys - like Kurtley - play league as a youth, receive a scholarship to play Union, and then we get confused when they go back to league.

Yes of course there are some like that...but there are also some who grew up playing rugby union and were signed by NRL clubs. Regardless, if the player is a 'rugby league' player but has potential to be a quality rugby union player, then go after them and lock them in at a young age.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
For sure! It's a matter of time with the Reds, awesome culture, talent coming through the ranks and a management team that are starting to make good moves. Adding to this I was at the U12 State Carnival for rugby union earlier this year, rugby in Queensland is in a good place, we just need to keep moving forwards
^ yes very nice to think they represent the state and not just a franchise. Seeing them confirm this by making the effort they just have is great. :)

B

Bobby Sands

For sure! It's a matter of time with the Reds, awesome culture, talent coming through the ranks and a management team that are starting to make good moves. Adding to this I was at the U12 State Carnival for rugby union earlier this year, rugby in Queensland is in a good place, we just need to keep moving forwards

Completely agree, and to be honest Brad Thorn personally deserves alot of the credit.

From expecting higher standards from the established players, to identifying and locking down a young nucleus (from a stable of players that he largely developed through U20s, and QLD Country). I am not certain if it was his idea to get out to the community, but my gut hunch is that it has his finger prints all over it.

I am a big supporter, and obviously the results now need to match the intent - however I think QLD Rugby is in the healthiest state as a whole that I can remember.

As you say developing that talent into polished professional rugby players has always been the issue - so the proof will be in the pud.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
We need to go for a beer! I think we might of rubbed some people the wrong way getting what he wants, but its worked out for the better.

Completely agree, and to be honest Brad Thorn personally deserves alot of the credit.

From expecting higher standards from the established players, to identifying and locking down a young nucleus (from a stable of players that he largely developed through U20s, and QLD Country). I am not certain if it was his idea to get out to the community, but my gut hunch is that it has his finger prints all over it.

I am a big supporter, and obviously the results now need to match the intent - however I think QLD Rugby is in the healthiest state as a whole that I can remember.

As you say developing that talent into polished professional rugby players has always been the issue - so the proof will be in the pud.