• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
All true. What I would add is that there are a couple of truisms that the whole plot is built around - namely, that you shouldn't meddle in things you don't understand, and that doing what you think is the right thing can end in disaster.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
What a terrible decision to play the Bledisloe at Marvel Stadium next year. Having attended multiple Tests there, it's an awful venue for it.

MCG or bust for a Bledisloe. Have been to SOO there, and it was awesome.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
What a terrible decision to play the Bledisloe at Marvel Stadium next year. Having attended multiple Tests there, it's an awful venue for it.

100%

Whateveritscallednow Stadium is dreadful for watching rugby. Zero atmosphere.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Play it at AAMI Park, sell it out and have a booming atmosphere. The other two are rubbish for rugby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The MCG is even worse for rugby.........

And they won’t get the numbers to create any sort of atmosphere there.

jason08

Peter Burge (5)
I think Suncorp is getting the 3rd Bledisloe match, which will probably be a dead runner again. Should’ve taken this game to Canberra. It would also be good to see a RC game in Adelaide.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The MCG is even worse for rugby...

And they won’t get the numbers to create any sort of atmosphere there.
The three Bled's to have been played at the 'G so far have an average attendance of 81,529. I only went to the last one of those but the atmosphere was rather acceptable, I would say.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think Marvel will sell out for a Bled match.

I thought the atmosphere was good there for the lions match and the Aus v Ireland game back at the world cup.

Mind you, a lot depends on if you are sitting near a bunch of genuine rugby fans or a pack of yobs who don't know a scrum from a line out and only came along to be part of a crowd.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The three Bled's to have been played at the 'G so far have an average attendance of 81,529. I only went to the last one of those but the atmosphere was rather acceptable, I would say.

I went to the Bled in 2007 at the MCG............

It was a great game......... on TV.

That was also the last time a Bled was played there........ back when the likes of Gregan, Larkham, Mortlock, and George Smith were still playing.

The other two matches that were played there were during the height of Australian rugby in the late 90's........... you won't see those crowds again.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
According to today's Australian (Rugby Chiefs in dark over TV rights rejection) the talks between RA and Foxtel have broken down. RA is now negotiating with Optus.
Optus has no free-to-air broadcasting partner so I assume any Optus telecasts would only be available via a streaming service.
A sinister aspect of the issue is summarised in The Oz this way:
"RA chief executive Raelene Castle and chairman Cameron Clyne briefed the heads of state rugby representing Australian Super Rugby franchises the NSW Waratahs, ACT Brumbies, Queensland Reds and Melbourne Rebels at the “state of the nation” address last week.
Despite the hours-long briefing to the heads of state rugby by RA leadership, the state rugby bosses were not told of the failure of the Japan meeting and the decision to walk out on the Foxtel offer and begin negotiations with Optus."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
According to today's Australian (Rugby Chiefs in dark over TV rights rejection) the talks between RA and Foxtel have broken down. RA is now negotiating with Optus.
Optus has no free-to-air broadcasting partner so I assume any Optus telecasts would only be available via a streaming service.
A sinister aspect of the issue is summarised in The Oz this way:
"RA chief executive Raelene Castle and chairman Cameron Clyne briefed the heads of state rugby representing Australian Super Rugby franchises the NSW Waratahs, ACT Brumbies, Queensland Reds and Melbourne Rebels at the “state of the nation” address last week.
Despite the hours-long briefing to the heads of state rugby by RA leadership, the state rugby bosses were not told of the failure of the Japan meeting and the decision to walk out on the Foxtel offer and begin negotiations with Optus."

Aren't The Australian and Foxtel owned by same company? I think if they are I would be pretty careful about what I believed what was said and by whom just because the Australian said it so. Think I may just wait and see how this plays out, as I suspect just maybe there could be a little pressure coming on for Rugby to drop their asking price.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Yes, the Oz are two days (and fifty years) behind.

See the broadcast thread.........

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The broadcast negotiations are ongoing, it was never "What are Fox going to pay us; oh, fuck, it's not as much as we wanted, we're walking away, shit, who else is there?" and anyone giving the Australian any credence as an independent source has rocks in their head.