• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Success for Qld is not inevitable. Things can still go belly up in seconds.
Yes it can, but I admire the positivity on this thread. I think you guys are the cusp of a renaissance and good luck to you. My team's thread is just full of negative doom and gloom. Being positve seems like much more fun. Stay excited!:)

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Success for Qld is not inevitable. Things can still go belly up in seconds.

Absolutely but I think for the first time in a long time, supporters can see positive changes in the entire structure of QLD Rugby grass roots, regional rugby, Brisbane club rugby, NRC and see the enormous potential in the state squad.

We still need to execute but all signs point to progression rather than regression.

#QLDHegemony

S

Show-n-go

Love what qld are doing both on and off the field. I think they will form the nucleus of the wallabies squad for the next 2 RWC cycles

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I must say I'm pretty excited about the Reds next year. There are lots of positives but I still have issues with Thorn as a head coach. I think he may end up in the same role as Phil Mooney, no success with the team but looked back on as a guy who made some changes to the team.

The general rule in coaching is that it takes until season 3 to get "your team" and that is this year for Thorn's Reds. Most will agree he has more potential than he had in the previous two seasons. They need to be a top 8 team from this year on. It will have the biggest impact on the state of rugby in QLD. Everyone here loves a winner, just look at the Lions from 2019. I'd love to go to Suncorp and sit with 30K+ the watch a Reds game again.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I must say I'm pretty excited about the Reds next year. There are lots of positives but I still have issues with Thorn as a head coach. I think he may end up in the same role as Phil Mooney, no success with the team but looked back on as a guy who made some changes to the team.

The general rule in coaching is that it takes until season 3 to get "your team" and that is this year for Thorn's Reds. Most will agree he has more potential than he had in the previous two seasons. They need to be a top 8 team from this year on. It will have the biggest impact on the state of rugby in QLD. Everyone here loves a winner, just look at the Lions from 2019. I'd love to go to Suncorp and sit with 30K+ the watch a Reds game again.

What general rule say's that? I would say 2 years is enough. At least if you compare it to recent successful coaching stints in similar "building" phases.

Jake White being the number 1 example. Only took 2 years (first year just missed out on finals by 1 game too btw) to reach the Final with a young and relatively inexperienced team.

Chieka and McKenzie similar situations.

I haven't seen anything from Thorne yet to indicate he is a top level coach. He is more in the Larkham mould so far.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
^ Jets isn't saying it takes three years for success, he's saying by the third year you have the team you want, as in not the roster left over from the last HC.

Basically judge him from his results this year.

I would say Link inherited a team on the way up, from a very dire low mind, but they were headed in the right direction.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What general rule say's that? I would say 2 years is enough. At least if you compare it to recent successful coaching stints in similar "building" phases.

Jake White being the number 1 example. Only took 2 years (first year just missed out on finals by 1 game too btw) to reach the Final with a young and relatively inexperienced team.

I haven't seen anything from Thorne yet to indicate he is a top level coach. He is more in the Larkham mould so far.

Link was big on saying that it takes 3 years to have the team you have recruited. It gives you time to see out contracts on players who don't fit the coaches plans. Thorn fast forwarded this by just telling they aren't required.

I never said Thorn was a top level coach, I don't think Thorn is a good coach at all. His success has been based off a system set up by his predecessor and a rare group of players, Qld 20's and Qld Country. The Reds have been dire under his watch on field. I am liking what is happening off the field and I'm excited about the talent in the team. Hopefully he's had time for reflection and things will improve this year, hence me saying they need to be in the top 8. If they aren't the Reds need to find someone else to take them to the next level.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
^ Jets isn't saying it takes three years for success, he's saying by the third year you have the team you want, as in not the roster left over from the last HC.

Basically judge him from his results this year.

I would say Link inherited a team on the way up, from a very dire low mind, but they were headed in the right direction.

I agree that success in the third year has pretty much 100% of the head coach markings after implementing his culture, coaching, and selections etc. He should peak in year 3. But still needs success in year 1 and 2 (he clearly hasn't).

Many coaches leave there stamp on the game earlier then that. Again White and McKenzie examples.

IMO Thorne should have had more success in his team by now. He also changes selections a lot. I fail to see a clear direction. He just seems to be experimenting for 2 years.

On the positive, I'm okay with that. He is a new coach after-all, and I hope he can improve and has a big year in 2020. If he doesn't have a big year though, I'd be looking at a new head coach if the Reds want any success - 3 years is more than enough to show your worth.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I always thought Thorn was elevated way too early. For me his first 2 years were always going to be throw-aways.

He is here now though and we are certainly seeing that a really good foundation has been laid. So unlike most in the post-link era we actually have something positive out of the investment. I'd be thinking of it as a three year experiment from here.

And in the preseason I'm liking it a lot.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If only premierships were won based on pre-season optimism, Reds would have the 2020 trophy in the bag ;)

But seriously, I agree, they’re talking the talk, now let’s see them walk the walk. That been said, they have a pretty bloody horrific start to the season with trips all across the world.

B

Bobby Sands

Even if Thorn ends up not be the best coach ever, he should held in whatever capacity he wishes. He gets it & he’s remodeled the entire joint.

Blokes are mauling on the first days of pre-season. We like this.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - very tough start. My concern with that is that, as a young team if they get pumped then team unity might fray at the seams.

Conversely, if they can get a bit of early season momentum there is nothing quite so dangerous as a bunch of young guys who are too inexperienced to know they are supposed to lose or too brash to care.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Both Cheika and McKenzie openly admit the success in their 2nd year was before they thought it would happen. They were planning for that success around year 3 or 4.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Both Cheika and McKenzie openly admit the success in their 2nd year was before they thought it would happen. They were planning for that success around year 3 or 4.

Yeap, I can remember Link saying the 3 year cycle multiple times too. Plus, I thought it was pretty well accepted that Link's quick success at the Reds is directly attributable to Mooney spending the time and effort building the nucleus of the 2011 winning squad?