• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2020

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I didn't even realise they'd appointed a coach! Another kiwi, but at least this one has a few miles on him.

We'll see if the prima donnas in the playing group respond.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Still only 25 profiles listed on the Tahs team page.

2 Hookers
5 Props
5 Locks
4 Backrow
2 Scrumhalf
1 Flyhalf
2 Centre
4 Utility backs

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Still only 25 profiles listed on the Tahs team page.

2 Hookers
5 Props
5 Locks
4 Backrow
2 Scrumhalf
1 Flyhalf
2 Centre
4 Utility backs
Interesting. The 1st page of this thread has 32 contracted until 2020 and beyond. It also doesn't include AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Hanigan, Newsome or Walker who are all listed on the Waratahs page

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
^ interesting they dubbed over Penney's initial thoughts on the video. According to my source the actual transcript went something like:

"Yeah I came in expecting to see some soft NSWelshmen, and that's exactly what I got. Obviously the exception was that there are a couple of hard nuts from north of the border who are trying to set an example for these Mexicans. I'll be spending my first couple months trying to harden the boys up, some rucking, some niggle, a bit of biff, you know, the Dicky Loe school sort of stuff, try and teach them how to play footy"

;)

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
^ interesting they dubbed over Penney's initial thoughts on the video. According to my source the actual transcript went something like:

"Yeah I came in expecting to see some soft NSWelshmen, and that's exactly what I got. Obviously the exception was that there are a couple of hard nuts from north of the border who are trying to set an example for these Mexicans. I'll be spending my first couple months trying to harden the boys up, some rucking, some niggle, a bit of biff, you know, the Dicky Loe school sort of stuff, try and teach them how to play footy"

;)
Yep, obviously his first brief will be to turn around the abysmal recent record against against the marauders from the Deep North:)

B

Bobby Sands

First impressions of Penney are pretty good to my eye. The Gibson reign was a very strange one to put it politely.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting. The 1st page of this thread has 32 contracted until 2020 and beyond. It also doesn't include AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Hanigan, Newsome or Walker who are all listed on the Waratahs page

Does anyone know if Cody Walker is staying? He was training with the Team prior to the break but I haven't seen him in the latest photos or videos?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just reading that Beale is the front runner for flyhalf. Can he oull it off?

He could probably be quite serviceable at Super level if he is just kept there, and probably also dependent on how Penney wants him to play. If he has a good pre-season knowing that's the plan and training consistently there, maybe. With a calm head like Hunt next to him, it could work. Has enough ability.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
He could probably be quite serviceable at Super level if he is just kept there, and probably also dependent on how Penney wants him to play. If he has a good pre-season knowing that's the plan and training consistently there, maybe. With a calm head like Hunt next to him, it could work. Has enough ability.
Agree, but I feel sorry for Mason if that's the case. He's never really had a chance behind Foley. I would think that Harrison would be ahead of him now. That being said, we have some decent centrers by the looks of things. My only concern are that KB (Kurtley Beale) doesn't have much of a boot and tends to crab sideways.Who do we think would be fullback if Kurtley plays 10? Perhaps Harrison with Mason as a back up 10?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agree, but I feel sorry for Mason if that's the case. He's never really had a chance behind Foley. I would think that Harrison would be ahead of him That being said, we have some decent centrers by the looks of things. Who do we think would be fullback if Kurtley plays 10?
I see Beale getting the first half of the season at 10 with Harrison slowly coming into the role by mid season after numerous appearances off the bench.

I don’t see Mason ever setting the world on fire, so not sure it’d be worth investing any more time for the potential reward. There isn’t anything in his game that stands out. On saying that I hope he sticks it to me and proves me wrong. I can see him turning into another Jono Lance, a serviceable and honest pro that could do a solid job and offers some flexibility in the roster (10, 12, 15)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I see Beale getting the first half of the season at 10 with Harrison slowly coming into the role by mid season after numerous appearances off the bench.

I don’t see Mason ever setting the world on fire, so not sure it’d be worth investing any more time for the potential reward. There isn’t anything in his game that stands out. On saying that I hope he sticks it to me and proves me wrong. I can see him turning into another Jono Lance, a serviceable and honest pro that could do a solid job and offers some flexibility in the roster (10, 12, 15)

Mason was a good young quality player, and had a few good games for the Reds at 5/8 before he went to the Tahs, at the time I would comfortably say he was one of the best young fly-half options in the country at that time. 3 years later and a few scraps of Super Rugby match experience, and he now isn’t up to it. Masons development or lack of is a direct result do the way he was handled by Gibson and the Tahs IMO, they invested too little in his development when the had the chance, and then dropped him when he didn’t perform in the one game he was given.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
The SMH is saying Latrell Mitchell is considering a code switch. Does anybody follow league closely enough to tell if he'd be any good at the most sophisticated game?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Absolutely he is a fantastic player, the most naturally gifted outside back in Australia of either code.

However, there are red flags everywhere about him, his own club(Roosters) have gone cold on re-signing him, part of the reason was attitude. He was dropped from the NSW team after a woeful performance and doesn’t seem to rise to the occasion of big games.

At a glance, he looks like a version of James O’Connor, awfully talented but lost in the bright lights of it all. He could be a great signing, possibly one of best cross code converts ever, or a complete dud and embarrassment.